MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:32 PM   #1
Gasbag
Found some matches.

Default Weber Grill Table Design

I am planning on building this table sometime this weekend. I did the drawing using Google Sketchup, and after working through some learning pains, I think it came out pretty good. I am not sure if it will show up on here, but I am hoping it will.

Front View

Side View

Top View

I plan to suspend the grill about an inch from each side of the circle to hopefully not set it on fire. There will be four casters on the bottom of each 4x4 posts. I have already had thoughts of adding a modification that would hold a large umbrella should it rain. Anyway, I am interested to hear everyone's thoughts.
Gasbag is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->

Old 02-07-2013, 01:39 PM   #2
Big dawg
Knows what a fatty is.

Hey that looks pretty good, someone on this forum has a table that looks just like that. I'm also going to start a table for my weber OTG just not sure if I'm actually going to put mine in the table.
Good luck with your project and keep us posted.

Jrow
Big dawg is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:45 PM   #3
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

I built something similar to that about 5 years ago. One mistake I made was I did not leave a gap around the kettle. This eventually weakened the cement based table top just on the charcoal side of the kettle, after a couple summers worth of constant use.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
Motley Q
On the road to being a farker

Why the tall back on it?

The overhead drawing shows the top 2x4 somewhat over the grill. That might lead to problems.
Motley Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2013, 01:57 PM   #5
dadsr4
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have built tables in the past with wooden tops. I used conduit clamps like this mounted under the table to support the kettle rim.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:59 PM   #6
Gasbag
Found some matches.

Big Dawg, this will be my first attempt at it. I actually saw a picture of a table just like it somewhere on the internet, but don't think it was here. They said it worked out pretty good, so I am willing to try anything once.

Carbon, man that table is nice. I wish I had the time or skill to do something like that. Three kids under 6 will take up most of my spare time.

I'll post some pictures as I get going on it. It shouldn't take me more than a couple hours or so to build it.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:02 PM   #7
Gasbag
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motley Q View Post
Why the tall back on it?

The overhead drawing shows the top 2x4 somewhat over the grill. That might lead to problems.
I made the back that tall for two reasons.

1. I am 6'2", and I wanted whatever I am going to put on the ledge to be close to eye level.

2. I wanted some clearance when removing the lid, which you mentioned may lead to problems.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:05 PM   #8
Gasbag
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsr4 View Post
I have built tables in the past with wooden tops. I used conduit clamps like this mounted under the table to support the kettle rim.
Great idea. I also saw someone use T-Clamps or T-Braces, not sure what you call them, screwed into the deck boards and bent up, and the bottom portion of the grill rests on the braces. I had an idea of suspending it using 4 chains creating a nest. Not sure if the grill would move too much though.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-07-2013, 02:11 PM   #9
dadsr4

Forgot to add. Using the clamps allows you to easily lift the kettle out of the table for cleaning. Since I have an old kettle, this is a great advantage, I could dump out ashes easily. Also a lid holder is handy.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:13 PM   #10
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

That conduit clamp is a good idea and very simple to mount.
I banded a 1/4" steel rod to slightly elevate the kettle off the table so the lid would close completely.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:13 PM   #11
dadsr4

Here is one I make for my backup grill.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:23 PM   #12
Gasbag
Found some matches.

Dadsr, Love it, and I think I am going to try your clamp idea. Seems like an easy way to mount it. I may mount them on the top of the table to lift the grill up as much as possible.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:45 PM   #13
Zin
is One Chatty Farker

Stanley corner braces work best for mounting the kettle to a table. The corner brace fits rite under the rim of the kettle. The corner braces come in different sizes.
Nice job on yours dadsr4.
Zin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2013, 03:55 PM   #14
dadsr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasbag View Post
Dadsr, Love it, and I think I am going to try your clamp idea. Seems like an easy way to mount it. I may mount them on the top of the table to lift the grill up as much as possible.
There are different sizes of the clamps for different diameter conduit. So long as the tip fits under the lip, the air gap could be increased by usinga larger diameter.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:16 PM   #15
Big dawg
Knows what a fatty is.

Here are a some pics I found on the netImageUploadedByTapatalk1360289657.497817.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360289687.941910.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360289721.382056.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360289743.275600.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360289770.968216.jpg

Jrow
Big dawg is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->