G2 party

tyotrain

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Just got word from backwoods smokers that my g2 party with be powder coated. That just made my day and will be done next week. I am like a kid in a candy store right now. :)

Have fun and happy smoking
BBQ UP

Sounds nice, just be sure not to get it too hot, I think powder coating flakes off at around 350 or 375ish!

Most my cooking is done at 275F.

BBQ UP

I hear they are redoing the firebox for better airflow

I would have to say powder coat will be far better than paint. Did hear that about the firebox

BBQ UP

I put a nice scratch in my chubby (lol) and it hasnt rusted yet. found some burgandy spray paint today. got to figure out if its ok to paint a small scratch at 20 degrees. might be time for a garage heater

I was told today my G2 will be black that they canceled the burgundy color.

BBQ UP

Yeah tyotrain I have one on order too and it will be the black powder coating too. Hadn't heard anything about a new firebox design and I haven't read a bad review yet about cooking on the G2s so I'm a little sceptical that they are redesigning the firebox. Sounds like yours is on the same build schedule as mine so they may be neighbors on the freight truck.

The issue may be due a little more to the lack of overhead clearance on the chubby firebox to heat diverter area. just a guess

Yeah tyotrain I have one on order too and it will be the black powder coating too. Hadn't heard anything about a new firebox design and I haven't read a bad review yet about cooking on the G2s so I'm a little sceptical that they are redesigning the firebox. Sounds like yours is on the same build schedule as mine so they may be neighbors on the freight truck.

Sounds like it might be he told me today looks like next week it will be shipped it was getting powder coated today. I can hardly contain myself with the excitement. Lol

BBQ UP

Great to here it's on its way soon feel free to give me a shout if you have any questions. They are tweaking the fire box bit.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD

Do you mind filling us in by what you mean by tweak? I know there is a clearance issue with the chubby as mentioned above but that isn't present with the party so I'm curious.

If you look at the firebox and the ash pan, there isnt alot of great airflow except from overhead. I would think just drilling some holes in the side would open it up more. Ill try to link a picture that might show what I mean

Imagine the pan being in place and the guru shooting air directly at the side of it, its not quite optimal. Im blown away that backwoods is sending g2 owners new fireboxes unsolicited. I didnt even know it was a problem lol.

399296_403258956415742_106529925_n.jpg

The G2 Party seems t o be ok but they are looking at it to. The chubby does have some air flow issues most noticeable when it's loaded up. The issue isn't so much between the fire grate and heat diverted but the lack of good air flow laterally and from below. They will make right have now doubt.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD

Backwoods has seemed to be pretty quiet about this whole project from the beginning. The whole powder coating thing wasn't a secret by any means but they weren't actively putting it out to the consumer so them not vocalizing a fire box issue doesn't surprise me. I hope you are right about the G2 Party not having an airflow issue because I don't think mine will have the new fire box design and I would hate to know I spent all that money for something that is defective.

Take a deep breath. How many G2's are out there right now? 30-40 tops. not like a bad Iphone maping system. My G2 will be loaded up with ribs in a matter of hours and I expect no problems like the previous cooks.

All of the manufacturers have poor web updating. have you seen the spicewine site? too much one off customs and just very small businesses to have thorough web updates. As E-window shoppers its frustrating

I think you didn't understand what I was trying to say. My assumption is the lack of talk about the G2 line is how new it is and they are still fine tuning it. You can call backwoods at anytime and they tell you everything that is going on which is how I found out about powder coating before my dealer did. I guess my concern is putting out this new line prematurely without proper testing which probably would have discovered the air flow issue. Backwoods has a facebook page and a dedicated forum and they haven't put anything out about the changes that are confirmed. No need to take a breath I would expect any consumer would want the best product available so I think the 30 G2 owners might have an.issue to know that they paid the same price as someone who buys one that has the bugs worked out. Still excited and say a prayer everynight that I get a deliver notification the next day.

Back