MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:27 PM   #31
Booking It
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaQue View Post
Absolutely...

I actually used 2 pieces and folded the edges of them length wise 3 or 4 folds. Then, I placed a single sheet over that seam. I put the brisket over the single sheet and folded the parchemnt over as best I could and tucked the excess under the brisket letting the weight of it hold the paper in place. The parchemnt leaked very little. I believe that what grease leaked out was what worked through the seam I created. I then wrapped the whole thing with another piece that ran perpendicular in direction to the brisket to hold it all together the best I could.

With all of that said, I spoke to a friend after I put it back on after wrapping it and he said that he used an X pattern with the paper. Make a extra large X, place the brisket in middle of the X, wrap one end of the X over and tuck it under the brisket and then the other side. Repeat the steps with the other piece of paper that makes up the X. The weight of the brisket will hold the paper in place.

I recommend putting the whole thing on a sheet pan though just in case the paper doesn't hold or in case of any possible leakage.
Thank you for your thorough reply! If we ever take a break from football weekends, I will be trying this method very soon. I've got the flavor down pat (Adam Perry Lang's recipe... SO GOOD), but the tenderness has been hit and miss. I will hopefully be reporting good results sometime in the next few weeks! Thanks again!
Booking It is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 09-10-2012, 12:40 PM   #32
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Nice work!

In cooking, as in life...

50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-10-2012, 12:42 PM   #33
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuyawk View Post
Perhaps what the KCBS guys are looking for is not what Texans are looking for? What's overcooked for one is an example of perfect brisket for the other?
Ya know, I thought this too, and I guess I still do for the most part, but recently on Greg Rempe's show he hosted the newest installment of the Brisket Roundtable. One of the guests was Mike Wozniak of Quau. Right now he is one of the top ranked brisket cooks in KCBS. At one point during the discussion I remember hearing him say that he knows the brisket is done when it has the resistance of a woman's breast. Now these are his words not mine, so hopefully I don't get modded haha, but that sounds to me like his brisket is more tender than what most are shooting for.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2012, 12:43 PM   #34
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booking It View Post
Thank you for your thorough reply! If we ever take a break from football weekends, I will be trying this method very soon. I've got the flavor down pat (Adam Perry Lang's recipe... SO GOOD), but the tenderness has been hit and miss. I will hopefully be reporting good results sometime in the next few weeks! Thanks again!
You're very welcome! APL's brisket is a great one for sure. Those flavors combined with the butcher paper wrap technique, I think that you'll be very happy!!! I think that you just gave me a great idea for the next one I do!!!

I'd also like to add that using 18" or 24" butcher paper would likely work much better than the 15" parchment paper I had on hand.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2012, 12:44 PM   #35
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

[QUOTE=Q-Dat;2207177]Ya know, I thought this too, and I guess I still do for the most part, but recently on Greg Rempe's show he hosted the newest installment of the Brisket Roundtable. One of the guests was Mike Wozniak of Quau. Right now he is one of the top ranked brisket cooks in KCBS. At one point during the discussion I remember hearing him say that he knows the brisket is done when it has the resistance of a woman's breast. Now these are his words not mine, so hopefully I don't get modded haha, but that sounds to me like his brisket is more tender than what most are shooting for.[/QUOTE]

Depends...are they natural or "enhanced"???

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB

Old 09-10-2012, 01:40 PM   #36
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
For those interested, here are the results.
So all I need to do next weekend is to reproduce your success and everything will be just fine!

I really like the idea of a very basic rub.

Oh boy, I already ordered my large "Brustkern von oesterreichischem Jungstier" today and really hope I don't mess it up (again), I just need to get to the right point without overcooking or drying it out. We'll see how that's going to work out.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:05 PM   #37
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by This is not your pork! View Post
So all I need to do next weekend is to reproduce your success and everything will be just fine!

I really like the idea of a very basic rub.

It really let the beef flavor shine through while accenting it just right!!!

Oh boy, I already ordered my large "Brustkern von oesterreichischem Jungstier" today and really hope I don't mess it up (again), I just need to get to the right point without overcooking or drying it out. We'll see how that's going to work out.
Umm...english please? I'm guessing a large brisket?

- Beautiful family

Old 09-11-2012, 01:43 AM   #38
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

The translation making most sense would be "Kind of brisket from young Austrian bull", which is not quite the same as a real brisket or packer as you have over there, but more like the European version of a brisket. A full report of that cook will follow afterwards.

BTW My wife is skeptical about the simplified rub, because she thinks just salt + pepper + garlic will emphasize the garlic, which she does not like that much. With a mix of 1/2 cup salt + 1/4 cup white pepper + 1/4 cup black pepper + 1/4 cup garlic will it be heavy on garlic? I think we have granulated and powdered garlic, does this make any difference? My wife would use a bunch of herbs to experiment with, but I want to perfect the brisket first.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:12 AM   #39
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

I don't think you'll even notice the garlic up front at all. It will fade into the back ground and play a supporting role as long as you're not heavy handed witht he rub. The pepper will likely be the flavor that shines through the most with the salt following. At least, that's how mine tasted. Yes, there is a difference between granulated garlic and powdered. I prefer and always use granulated garlic. But garlic isn't a requirement by any means. The true Texas style is straight up salt and pepper for the most part. But, I like what garlic brings to the table in rubs.

Good luck with the cook!

- Beautiful family

Old 09-11-2012, 09:58 AM   #40
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Thanks for the report. I've been to Franklin's in Austin and that experience has become my reference point and target. I do Salt/Pepper only, but don't do foil or paper - I think because I'm too lazy and I'm getting dang tasty results.

Thanks for the answer above on how you wrap. That was helpful. Can you clarify:
1) For checking doneness, did you just do it by feel of pressing on the brisket? Press looking for wobbling? Or did you use a probe looking for resistance?
2) If probing, are you unwrapping, probing through the paper or what? Same with the temp readings, though the paper? And do you have enough skill to probe the top without going through the bottom paper/foil? I don't.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-11-2012, 10:06 AM   #41
rexbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Great thread. I am going to have to pick up some butcher paper tonight at Sams. I have to try this.

Rex's Red Hot BBQ
[url]http://www.savoryreviews.com[/url]

KCBS & MABA Member
[B]Black Thermapen[/B] and Backup [B]Blue Thermapen[/B]!
BBQ Guru Shotgun Smoker, Traeger Lil Tex, Traeger Texas, Weber Performer, Weber OTS (X3), Weber Spirit (gasser)
rexbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2012, 10:19 AM   #42
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---k--- View Post
Thanks for the report. I've been to Franklin's in Austin and that experience has become my reference point and target. I do Salt/Pepper only, but don't do foil or paper - I think because I'm too lazy and I'm getting dang tasty results.

Thanks for the answer above on how you wrap. That was helpful. Can you clarify:
1) For checking doneness, did you just do it by feel of pressing on the brisket? Press looking for wobbling? Or did you use a probe looking for resistance?

I did a couple of things. I pressed on the paper with my finger until I felt it meet resistance and then I pushed a little harder at that point to feel if the meat would give (jiggle) or if it was still pretty firm on the surface. Once I felt that it was giving a little, I carefully inserted my thermapen/probe at an angle until I felt it push into the meat. I did that in a few places to make sure I wasn't missing the meat or going through it.

2) If probing, are you unwrapping, probing through the paper or what? Same with the temp readings, though the paper? And do you have enough skill to probe the top without going through the bottom paper/foil? I don't.

No unwrapping, going through the paper. What I did was I took the probe and placed it at an angle on the out side of the paper as a visual of how I was going to probe it, and how deep it would need to go. I then placed my thumb on the probe so I knew how far it would have to go in, to both make sure it was in the meat, and to also make sure it wasn't going to punch through the bottom. I then, carefully, inserted the probe at that angle and to that depth. I also went right through the middle of the paper on the point end parallel with the meat so I knew I was right in the middle of the point.

I hope that answered your questions.

- Beautiful family

Old 09-11-2012, 10:19 AM   #43
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
I don't think you'll even notice the garlic up front at all. It will fade into the back ground and play a supporting role as long as you're not heavy handed witht he rub. The pepper will likely be the flavor that shines through the most with the salt following. At least, that's how mine tasted. Yes, there is a difference between granulated garlic and powdered. I prefer and always use granulated garlic. But garlic isn't a requirement by any means. The true Texas style is straight up salt and pepper for the most part. But, I like what garlic brings to the table in rubs. Good luck with the cook!
Now I can't await the weekend to arrive, the Q is scheduled for Sunday. The only missing part is the parchment, which I will not be able to get here, so either I can find some kind of butcher's paper, or I'll have to stick to aluminum foil instead.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:34 AM   #44
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by This is not your pork! View Post
Now I can't await the weekend to arrive, the Q is scheduled for Sunday. The only missing part is the parchment, which I will not be able to get here, so either I can find some kind of butcher's paper, or I'll have to stick to aluminum foil instead.

If you have to use foil, your times and texture will change a bit. But if you can find butcher paper, that would be my first choice. A local butcher or meat market should be willing to give you a few good sized pieces in exchange for some of the left over results I would imagine.

But one thing I really liked about using the paper versus the foil is that it seemed to give the benefit of foil, with out making the bark of the meat soft while keeping it tender.

- Beautiful family

Old 09-11-2012, 11:38 AM   #45
QTEX
Full Fledged Farker

Very good info and thanks for the pics too, gonna have to find some butcher or parchment paper, Sams doesnt sell it down here. Gotta try that this weekend though.
QTEX is offline   Reply With Quote