MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:01 PM   #8191
otterpop
Full Fledged Farker

Brass nipples won't rust.
otterpop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2011, 09:49 PM   #8192
mike5150
Got Wood.

I am new to the UDS and am sure this has been asked but can not find it..What grate is the best to use the Weber 70901 non-hinged grate or the
Weber 7436 Hinged grate?
mike5150 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2011, 10:15 PM   #8193
TKEBH989
Found some matches.

I'm new but just started my first UDS build after browsing through a lot of this thread, and felt I should share. Thanks to everyone for the advice. I got a barrel that contained liquid sugar and just put the intake holes in tonight. I went with 3 3/4" pipe nipples, 2 capped and 1 with a ball valve, 3" from the base. I only messed up the first hole, the rest fit real tight. I'm planning on welding them in, but I have no experience welding so it should be interesting. I haven't burnt the barrel out yet, that is going to happen this weekend. I used the existing hole in the lid that came with the barrel and put a 2" x 5" pipe nipple for the exhaust. If I end up needing more, I'll just drill in some additional holes. I also added a cheap handle to the lid. I'm planning on starting with a single grate from another grill for the cooking surface. I got some scrap expanded steel to make the charcoal basket out of, but I haven't started that yet. I'll post some progress pictures along the way. Here are some pictures so far. Please let me know what you think, or if I should add anything.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 102_1496.jpg (16.3 KB, 863 views)
File Type: jpg 102_1499.jpg (33.7 KB, 860 views)
File Type: jpg 102_1501.jpg (60.0 KB, 864 views)
File Type: jpg 102_1505.jpg (29.5 KB, 863 views)
TKEBH989 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2011, 11:32 PM   #8194
Joe Steel
Got Wood.

Big thumbs up to this forum for all the great information and inspiration

I scoured the pages upon pages of information, then set out on my own journey to build the ultimate backyard bbq beast.

Just a few notes that may be helpful to the next guy:
I have no welding skills or access to equipment -- and still ended up with a pretty decent fire box. I found the expanded metal at Orchard Supply in 12" x 24". Picked up two pieces and molded them around the ol' propane tank. Bolted the two ends together. Used the bottom bolts (about 2" from the edge) to serve as supports for the Weber Kettle coal grate. Added 2 additional bolts opposite of the seams to complete the support. This gave the coal grate 2" of lift from the bottom of the pizza pan / ash pan. The stainless steel carriage bolts lift the pizza pan about 1" from the bottom of the drum and secure the fire box to the ash pan. End result -- base of coals are about 3" off the bottom of the drum. Not shown is the wire basket handle I added. I fretted for a bit regarding the placement of the food grate. Lots of different opinions on distance from fire, etc.
I ended up just measuring about 7" down from the top of the drum and placing the grate there.

Once it was assembled, I built two fires in it just to burn it out and season it a bit. Then I gave it a go with some chicken quarters. I had it running about 225 - 250 depending on how I fiddled with the air flow.

I let the chicken go about 3.5 hrs -- internal temp about 160 degrees. Ended up super tender and juicy! I'm a convert!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0621.jpg (32.7 KB, 847 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0625.jpg (58.6 KB, 850 views)
File Type: jpg grate support.jpg (56.8 KB, 850 views)
File Type: jpg bottom of box.jpg (53.8 KB, 853 views)
File Type: jpg Complete box.jpg (58.8 KB, 850 views)
File Type: jpg UDS.jpg (44.0 KB, 857 views)
File Type: jpg smoked chicken.jpg (211.2 KB, 856 views)

Last edited by Joe Steel; 07-06-2011 at 11:52 PM..
Joe Steel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2011, 11:33 PM   #8195
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

It's hard to beat a UDS for the money. Nice, bro!

Old 07-06-2011, 11:35 PM   #8196
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKEBH989 View Post
I'm new but just started my first UDS build after browsing through a lot of this thread, and felt I should share. Thanks to everyone for the advice. I got a barrel that contained liquid sugar and just put the intake holes in tonight. I went with 3 3/4" pipe nipples, 2 capped and 1 with a ball valve, 3" from the base. I only messed up the first hole, the rest fit real tight. I'm planning on welding them in, but I have no experience welding so it should be interesting. I haven't burnt the barrel out yet, that is going to happen this weekend. I used the existing hole in the lid that came with the barrel and put a 2" x 5" pipe nipple for the exhaust. If I end up needing more, I'll just drill in some additional holes. I also added a cheap handle to the lid. I'm planning on starting with a single grate from another grill for the cooking surface. I got some scrap expanded steel to make the charcoal basket out of, but I haven't started that yet. I'll post some progress pictures along the way. Here are some pictures so far. Please let me know what you think, or if I should add anything.

Burn it out, wash it good with some soap and water, dry it, spray it down with some Pam (or other spray oil), put a hot fire in it and let it season good, paint the outside with some high heat paint, then start coooking on it and post some pron! It looks good, bro.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:46 PM   #8197
Sammy_Shuford
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5150 View Post
I am new to the UDS and am sure this has been asked but can not find it..What grate is the best to use the Weber 70901 non-hinged grate or the
Weber 7436 Hinged grate?
The Hinges are great for adding hot coals to a Kettle. Can't see a need for on the drum.
[/LEFT]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black][COLOR=magenta]Purple Thermapen:laugh:[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
MASTER Judge, SCBA
Carolina Pit Master
[URL]http://patio-q.com/[/URL]
Sammy_Shuford is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2011, 11:49 PM   #8198
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5150 View Post
Weber 7436 Hinged grate?

I used hinges to hold the grates. It makes it a lot easier to remove the grates, charcoal basket and ash pan.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:44 AM   #8199
Crazydave
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I figured it was about time to add my $0.02.... I've been lurking around the bretheren for a while....

With the help of Brother Thawley I build a UDS.

Here's it working:

Here's the fire basket:

Here's there UUDS(tm) foot operated vents

and here's my first smoke:

Got lots to learn... but so far it's been fun
Crazydave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2011, 01:56 AM   #8200
worknomore
Got Wood.

I just got my first UDS and am as proud of it as my first pickup truck.
worknomore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2011, 02:00 AM   #8201
sandiegobbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazydave View Post
I figured it was about time to add my $0.02.... I've been lurking around the bretheren for a while....

With the help of Brother Thawley I build a UDS.

Here's it working:

Here's the fire basket:

Here's there UUDS(tm) foot operated vents

and here's my first smoke:

Got lots to learn... but so far it's been fun
None of the links are working for me.
sandiegobbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2011, 03:36 AM   #8202
spareheat
Found some matches.

Hello, newbee here, glad to have found and read (most of this thread ) thanks guys. Lots of info except I can't find any about using bottom feed air instead of side feed or a combination of each. Seems to me that if I install a 1" valve in the bottom for air supply and grease cleaning and a 3/4" valve on the side. Open both valves for start up and then close bottom 1" valve. Regulate with the 3/4" valve. If more air is needed slowly open 1" valve untill desired temp is acheived. I know a drip pan will be needed under the 1" valve to catch the stuff that marks the spot of a well used BBQ unit. I have not built mine yet- next week I hope. Everyone using 3/4" valves talk about running with just the valve open and the nipples closed to purr at 230 and only opening one and then closing the valve down to 50% to get 300 degree temps. Am I wrong ? Wouldn't center feed under the ash pan provide even air supply to the fire no matter where the the fire is in the basket ? The 1" in the bottom will be handy for cleanup afterward. Please advice me on this before I actually do it. I had given up on smoking with a cos, but now that I found the UDS, I can't wait to build mine. Thanks
spareheat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2011, 03:58 AM   #8203
Sammy_Shuford
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
I used hinges to hold the grates. It makes it a lot easier to remove the grates, charcoal basket and ash pan.

Where did you order/find this hinges? I want some, bad!
[/LEFT]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black][COLOR=magenta]Purple Thermapen:laugh:[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
MASTER Judge, SCBA
Carolina Pit Master
[URL]http://patio-q.com/[/URL]
Sammy_Shuford is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2011, 07:57 AM   #8204
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Yup that hinge deal will be on my next UDS. Thanks
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2011, 08:28 AM   #8205
Joe Steel
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spareheat View Post
Hello, newbee here, glad to have found and read (most of this thread ) thanks guys. Lots of info except I can't find any about using bottom feed air instead of side feed or a combination of each.
Here's a thread with pics of air intake from the bottom of the drum: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=82554

Another example: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...8&postcount=24
Joe Steel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker