MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:33 PM   #1
rescue_ranger
Full Fledged Farker

Post suggestion for a multi Temperature sensor probe

Afternoon Brothers and Sisters
I am looking for suggestion for a multi Temperature sensor probe, when at a comp I usually cook 3 butts, 2 Packers and at min 8 racks of ribs and 24 thighs, this is my basic meat quota. So I am looking for new thermometers and I am thinking a probe for each piece of meat or do ya all think this is over kill? The chicken I am not worried about or the ribs on the chicken I use an instant read and the ribs I have a probe giving me overall chamber temp. But I was hoping to find something that is (A) wireless up to 100 feet (B) read out unit can be attached to a belt or clipped to something {so securable} and can read multiple probes and separate them (i.e.) Beef -1 beef -2, Pork -1 pork 2 and ribs and if need be can be expanded even more anyone know of such a device on the market that I will not need to take a second mortgage out to get and do you think I am over thinking things AGAIN!! And need only worry about chamber temp vs. internal temp and just use an instant thermometer for temp readings. I tend to go overboard with thechie gadgets and end up selling them off or hiding them from the wife in the barn or in the trailer as backup stuff.
Thanks everyone hope I did not babble to much everyone have a great Holliday of your liking
RR
[I]2 - [COLOR=blue][B]Char-Griller [/B][/COLOR][I][COLOR=black][COLOR=blue][B]Professional[/B][/COLOR] [/COLOR][/I]With offset[/I]
[I]2 -[B][COLOR=darkorange]Gold[/COLOR][/B] [/I][B]Weber 22 1/2" kettle, with therm- sear grate, ash can[/B]
[I]1 - [B]200gal[/B] smoker[/I]
[COLOR=green][B]Rescue_ranger[/B][/COLOR] also known by my fellow [COLOR=red][B]USMC[/B][/COLOR] clan as G-Bear :boxing:
rescue_ranger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-21-2010, 12:47 PM   #2
Mister Bob
Babbling Farker

Personally, I think it's over kill. I cook exactly the same amount of meat for competitions. I put a probe in one of the briskets (closest to the heat) and a probe in one of the butts just as a general gauge of how things are going. I use my Thermapen when things get close because I not only want to have an accurate temperature, I also want to feel the probe slide in.

I don't use a thermometer for ribs or chicken. I go by time and appearance for the chicken and time, appearance and feel on the ribs. Sometimes too much information will only confuse you more. Especially with briskets!!!

Good luck and Merry Christmas!
Mister Bob, Pitmaster - Smokestack Lightning, Bad Ass Barbecue. KCBS CBJ #31759 - IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
Mister Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Tags
multi, probe, sensor, temperature