MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:31 PM   #16
ljh34465
is one Smokin' Farker

IMO, the rating of the different books would be quite informative - not sure how it should be set up but it would be nice if those of us that have some of the books could all rate them.

Perhaps a vote like on the throwdowns - how many liked this one best (would have to make sure Dr. BBQ doesn't vote more than once)

Maybe a 1-5 scale for an overall rating but with somewhere to comment on its best aspect, i.e., great stories but lousy recipes (as mentioned above), mainly grilling, mainly smoking, great sauces and marinades, etc..

Just my $0.02
ljh34465 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 02-16-2010, 04:54 PM   #17
The BBQ QB
Full Fledged Farker

It is a difficult task to fairly and judiciously rate BBQ books without a bias.

I have 10 of the books on the list and am nowhere near having evaluated any of them fully.

I will say that each has given me some insight into bettering my approach to BBQ, and outdoor cooking as a whole.

It's also very difficult to adhere to a scaled rating system when the voters have not read every book, or, for that matter, tried, and properly cooked most of the recipes.

How can you judge a book a 5 out of 5 if you haven't read (and used) every one? (You can't judge the scale until you know the best and the worst, and you can't do that until you've read them all) Sure you can genericize, but then why bother with the scale?

Why not a recommend/don't recommend vote with a comment(tweet) (144 characters or less) attached to each vote?

That would get the scale out of the way and let voters be specific on why/why not. I can wash through the vote pumpers, simply by seeing if they have something constructive/critical to say to support their position.

That's my $0.00146. (adjusted for inflation, taxation and any other "shun" I've forgotton)

Mike D
The BBQ QB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2010, 05:17 PM   #18
Bigdog
somebody shut me the fark up.

I like the rating system used by Amazon. You are just saying if you liked the book and why, not comparing it to other books. And I disagree that you have to have read and or used all the recipes in it. Even if I only like or use just one recipe in the book, that alone makes it good. Then the more I use, the more I like it. Or, the degree that I like the information or recipe. Keep it simple is the key. IMHO MMV
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2010, 06:26 PM   #19
The BBQ QB
Full Fledged Farker

Hey Bigdog,

"And I disagree that you have to have read and or used all the recipes in it. Even if I only like or use just one recipe in the book, that alone makes it good."

I think, maybe I didn't explain myself clearly. It is for exactly the reason above, that I feel a simple yes/no with a comment, is more valuable to a prospective reader, than a scaled rating system.

A comparative scale, would suggest that you have compared the two, or many books objectively and wholly, whareas,

"Recommend: Found a great recipe for a rub, that is fantastic- pg 35"

would be a fairer representation of the voters overall impression of the book and his/her investment in the book itself.

Just my Opinion.

Mike D

Old 02-16-2010, 08:01 PM   #20
smoken don
Full Fledged Farker

That quite a list. Thanks.
uds and proud of it
Never confuse kindness for weakness
smoken don is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2010, 08:19 PM   #21
watg?
is One Chatty Farker

Hey, what about my book? just out (see Brethren Sales & Ventures)
Startin the Fire -George Hensler
It is a how to book on starting a competition BBQ team.

Startin the Fire-(a book) Everything you need to know about starting a competition BBQ team. (except the recipes) www.startinthefire.com

"Let me have a diablo sandwich and a Dr. Pepper, make it fast, I'm in a ---damn hurry". Sheriff Buford T.Justice

Last edited by watg?; 02-16-2010 at 09:52 PM..
watg? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2010, 08:30 PM   #22
MilitantSquatter

Thanks Bryan..

I added this thread to the Q-Talk Roadmap thread.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2010, 08:48 PM   #23
Bigdog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The BBQ QB View Post
Hey Bigdog,

"And I disagree that you have to have read and or used all the recipes in it. Even if I only like or use just one recipe in the book, that alone makes it good."

I think, maybe I didn't explain myself clearly. It is for exactly the reason above, that I feel a simple yes/no with a comment, is more valuable to a prospective reader, than a scaled rating system.

A comparative scale, would suggest that you have compared the two, or many books objectively and wholly, whareas,

"Recommend: Found a great recipe for a rub, that is fantastic- pg 35"

would be a fairer representation of the voters overall impression of the book and his/her investment in the book itself.

Just my Opinion.

Mike D
Mile,
I understand what you are saying, I just don't understand how you take what you say and make it into a form that you can quickly look at and see if it is worth reading more reviews to see if you would buy the book. Further, I feel that if a book has one great recipe in it, that there are probably more because it is a quality book.

Just my .02
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2010, 09:08 PM   #24
qman
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbbq View Post
I don't see any need to go beyond the top five.
Ray, I actually agree with you. But, Five books on my bookshelves does not seem very impressive. Now I have all yours, plus about a 100 lesser bbq books, and 700 other cookbooks.
What am I to do if I eliminate them, fill my shelves with Romance Novels?

Edit: Thanks Pyle's for the list. It is comprehensive. A great resource for seekers of bbq knowledge. Of course this forum is at the top of the list, as always, right?

Old 02-16-2010, 09:28 PM   #25
jagardn
Full Fledged Farker

This is a good book, no pictures but plenty of good recipes and BBQ tips.
Addicted to BBQ

Old 02-17-2010, 09:46 AM   #26
SmokinOkie
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljh34465 View Post

Perhaps a vote like on the throwdowns - how many liked this one best (would have to make sure Dr. BBQ doesn't vote more than once)

Maybe a 1-5 scale for an overall rating but with somewhere to comment on its best aspect, i.e., great stories but lousy recipes (as mentioned above), mainly grilling, mainly smoking, great sauces and marinades, etc..

Just my $0.02
Interesting idea. But the voting would be a challenge. My lead to a "book" forum area, so that anyone looking for a title would be able to see results. You know, someone starts a thread title with a book and then people respond to that one.

There are several members that do book reviews, those could easily be referenced within such a thread

there really isn't a "one stop shop" for it, but it might become a big hit for people looking for books.

You could put voting in that thread as "like/don't like" or "I'd buy it again / I'd wouldn't buy it again" something simple
SmokinOkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2010, 10:19 AM   #27
NeoTrout
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by watg? View Post
Hey, what about my book? just out (see Brethren Sales & Ventures)
Startin the Fire -George Hensler
It is a how to book on starting a competition BBQ team.
OK. I just bought your book. It seems like a subject no one has written extensively on. Good Luck.

Klose 20x48 Deluxe Offset Pipe Smoker
Weber 22.5, Weber 22.5 w/Rotisserie
Weber Performer, Weber Ranch Kettle, 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe, Weber Homer Simpson Smokey Joe
Bayou Classic Turkey Fryer, Blackstone 28" Griddle
Brinkmann Smoke'n Grill, UDS, Weber 26"
H-D FLHR
NeoTrout is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2010, 10:37 AM   #28
watg?
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoTrout View Post
OK. I just bought your book. It seems like a subject no one has written extensively on. Good Luck.

Thanks!

Startin the Fire-(a book) Everything you need to know about starting a competition BBQ team. (except the recipes) www.startinthefire.com

"Let me have a diablo sandwich and a Dr. Pepper, make it fast, I'm in a ---damn hurry". Sheriff Buford T.Justice
watg? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2010, 01:12 PM   #29
The BBQ QB
Full Fledged Farker

Here's 4 others, that are in my collection, that I think are worthy of making the list.....'

Dinosaur Bar-B-Que (An American Roadhouse) by John Stage & Nancy Radke

Ted Reader host of the TV Show King of the Q's book, "
Hot & Sticky BBQ"

Walter Jetton's LBJ Barbecue Cook Book."

And while not necessarily a BBQ book, an excellent Dutch oven reference for those inclined to cook on the trail.

By Phillip Morris "
Fifty from the Trail: The Best Cowboy Cooking From a Timeless Land"

Mike D

Old 02-17-2010, 03:51 PM   #30
StarvinMarvins
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Adding one of my favorites -

The Cook’s Illustrated Guide to Grilling and Barbecue

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/book...il.asp?PID=279

Tags
books, reading