• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

9+ Hours = 3.5lb brisket?

Smoothsmoke

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I've been smoking a 3.5lb brisket for over 9 hours now. Does this sound right? It is only at 174F internal now. My grate temperature has been 240F - 270F this whole time.

What gives?

edit: I'm using an Offset, lump + apple wood.

Always a possibility that it's a stubborn brisket...

I remember once cooking a small brisket flat on a WSM, maybe 5 lbs.. Babybacks on top shelf. Using minion method at aprox 240 and no water in the pan, ribs were done somewhere around 4 hrs. so I know thermometer was accurate. But this flat, sat on that grate for over 12 hrs and it was still only 175 for like four hours and tough as nails...I gave up on it once fuel got too low and the temps started dropping.

I've been smoking a 3.5lb brisket for over 9 hours now. Does this sound right? It is only at 174F internal now. My grate temperature has been 240F - 270F this whole time.

What gives?

edit: I'm using an Offset, lump + apple wood.

Have you probed it? How does it feel? Packer, flat? It's done when it's done, usually. Make sure your thermometers are accurate and see how the meat feels. If it doesn't feel tender then it isn't done, or it's a REALLY tough piece of beef.

I've had more than one brisket hang near that temp for a while (hours). Bump the heat up if you'd like to urge it on, but be prepared when it breaks that holding point....it can take off in a hurry.

I would do what Jorge says. And check those thermometers too.

How about foiling and using the old Texas crutch? I always though that foiling @ 160-165* was just how you were supposed to do it. I know some do not like to foil but it will definitely speed up the process. I started a small (4lb)butt today at 8:00ish am and it stopped at 165* for a few hours. At almost 9 hours in the wsm I foiled it @ 170*. In about an hour it hit 195*. As mentioned above some are harder to cook than others but you can always foil. Vince

Thanks for the tips everyone, I upped the temperature to 280F and she is now done. I pulled at 185F internal. Look for new thread for pics......thanks!!!!

Stubborn Brisket

This is the stubborn brisket. 3.5lbs of hell. It took her 10 hours to reach 185F internal temperature. BTW, this is my first run at brisket, not sure if they are all stubborn like this. :confused:

IMG_6525.jpg

A lil dark, but flavorful bark.

IMG_6530.jpg

IMG_6529.jpg

IMG_6526.jpg

The brisket tasted good, but not great IMO. A lil on the dry side, but very flavorful. I used Big Rons Rub and Big Cows Beef injection.

Thanks to all that helped me out in the other threads.

It was a flat, right? Sometimes I'm a little slow!

I'd slice off a little piece before letting it rest and see what it's like. If it turns out to be tough, or dry, I'd partially slice it and then add some beef broth to it. If you are happy with it then I'd check your thermometers. If you aren't, I'd give it some liquid, wrap it in foil, let it rest to draw that liquid in, and call it a success.

what temp did you cook it at? I have been trying to do hot and fast on my uds with no luck I may go back to low and slow on my brinkmann offset

what temp did you cook at? If I were to guess, based on the smoke ring and the length of time it took, I would venture you were cooking around 200? Is your thermo calibrated?

what temp did you cook at? If I were to guess, based on the smoke ring and the length of time it took, I would venture you were cooking around 200? Is your thermo calibrated?

I cooked it at 240-270F....I used two thermos at the grate, one an oven thermo the other a tel thru. Both are calibrated to 212F boiling water.

I purchased this cut at a local supermarket. My guess would be that I started off with inferior quality meat.

Hey, it's your first brisket, that looks pretty good. no, they are not all like that, some fool you and start off stubborn and then kick over and in no time they are over done.

Back