Fornia!
See how your Weber lid fits on the bottom side of your drum. Should be a lot better. If it fits, invert your drum and make the removable lid and clamp your BOTTOM. This would solve a lot of problems for you.

I understNd everything and can't wait to start, but what do u use under the coal basket to catch the ash so it doesn't just fall on the bottom of the drum? And I assume the coal basket sits on screws coming through the wall like the grates.

And no water pan like the WSM right?

I can't afford a WSM but these beauties I can have 2

Aluminum water heater pan seems like it may fit. I have not measured it but I eyeballed the one in my garage.

I'm curious as to what paint you're all using for the glossy finishes. Is it engine paint? and do you notice any where near the bottom around the fire basket? I currently have the high heat flat black stuff, but want to color my UDS up and make it shiny.

My brother can get me a 55 gallon drum from his work for free. My choices are from one that contained washer fluid concentrate or one that contained brake cleaner. He says they are unlined and that he can have the top popped for me too. Are either of these good choices or should I stick with something food grade? So far the only food grade container I've found is about an hour plus drive, but only $12.

I plan to wash the drum with warm soapy water at least twice to get any remnants out before I burn the inside. Anything else I should do?
The food safe barrels will actually have a liner in them making them more of a PITA. Just do a burn. Mine is a recycled windshield washer fluid drum.

I'm curious as to what paint you're all using for the glossy finishes. Is it engine paint? and do you notice any where near the bottom around the fire basket? I currently have the high heat flat black stuff, but want to color my UDS up and make it shiny.

You can use engine or header paint available at auto parts house.I used purple and yellow on mine-LSU Tigers.

yeah, just make sure when you paint it, do all the coats you want within the first hour. And then you have to let the paint cure ( think dont touch/use ) for 7 days. This will let the paint harden etc. It will get a tad harder when you use it the first time because of the heat but yeah. Let it sit.

yeah, just make sure when you paint it, do all the coats you want within the first hour. And then you have to let the paint cure ( think dont touch/use ) for 7 days. This will let the paint harden etc. It will get a tad harder when you use it the first time because of the heat but yeah. Let it sit.
Thanks, will do. I'll see what colors my local autozone has tonight after work.

I bet you they will have TONS. Duplicolor's high heat line has a zillion colors and it doesnt have to be header it can be the engine stuff too.

If you have a Pep Boys or an ADvanced Auto, those have the biggest selection for me at least.

Thanks, we do have an Advanced. Actually I think that's the one by my house. I never can remember. I cut through their parking lot several times a week on the way home to bypass a red light and it's long line to turn onto my road. I'll just throw the car in park and run in.

tn

Nuther UDS done for a friend who wanted a Cubs theme.

Unless you are going to cook at very high temperature for extended periods of time, you can just use regular spray paint from Wal-Mart or somewhere. It will stand at least 300 degrees for long periods with no problem.

Fornia, I had the same problem with my weber lid. I just flatted out the lip on my lid and it sits flat on my drum now. It's not air tight, but it's far enough away from the fire that it doesn't really matter.

I should note that my weber lid is from an old useless OTS, so I didn't mind flattening the lip and donating the lid to my UDS permanently.

As far as your paint issues...I'd say you should see what a good hot fire does to that paint before you start getting quotes on sandblasting. Then again, if a hot fire doesn't get rid of all that paint, I doubt that 250 degrees of BBQ temperature will disturb it either. I know that there are some in this thread who are cooking on drums that still have paint inside of them, the paint just happens to be under a nice layer of grease at this point.

Gotcha! I turned it over, and the bottom does seem to match up closer to the Weber lid (I'll just have to slightly bend the Weber lid on edges).

If going this route,
Am I correct in understanding that I need to 'cut' the bottom round panel out?

Sorry for pathetic question, but I'm not handy...and also talking with welders, fabrication shops, and sandblasters....has me totally confused and exhausted. Trying to save money where I can, so if I can do the bottom panel removal, I'll at least try it.

My sandblaster said he could use a Sawz-All on it, which has me just a bit worried about a 'real rough' cut.

Just finished up my latest drum. Running a Guru on this one because it's WINDY as hell and I don't want to spend my days chasing temps.

034.jpg

035.jpg

That's one sweet piece there...well, actually two! Awesome build.

I'm curious.... the drums I've got do not have a removable pug, they are solid with no cap at all.

Any thoughts on a simple, but nice option for the flat lid? I would really like to use these lids as they are very clean/nice. Will also use a kettle lid in future.

Any help appreciated!

Don't worry Sammy, I'll be adding my pics this weekend, and there ain't gonna' be NOTHIN' pretty about my drum.

I thought about making it all fancy-like, but I figure the uglier it is, the more I can use it as leverage with SWMBO to upgrade to a nice lookin' stick burner next summer.

(Although I'll still keep the drum :)

Here is my UDS with the Guru hooked up.
Duse don't come home drunk tryiing to sneak through the back door. You may end up kicking the hell out of that trespasser.
:becky:

Back