MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:58 AM   #1
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Is frozen meat inferior for competitions?

I have always believed that freezing meet is harmful to the final product. This seems very relevant to competitions.

This may only be a marketing ploy, but it does fall in line with what I have always thought:

from http://www.mybutcher.com/stores/xq/x...1/qx/store.htm

"Why Fresh Is Better
When you are buying steaks online, you want to get a good value, and you want to get great quality, right? We do to! That means we want unfrozen steaks:

Over 60% of the weight of meat is water.
When water freezes, it forms ice crystals.
Ice crystals severely damage the cells of meat on a microscopic level.
This damage will affect the taste, juicyness, and texture of the meat.

So why would anyone want to sell frozen meat? The reason others ship their meat frozen is primarily because it starts out frozen before they even ship it. Instead of using fresh meat on demand for your order, most competitors maintain frozen inventories of steaks sitting in their warehouse, and select your order from this supply. So not only is the meat damaged from the freezing process, but you have no way to tell how old your steaks really are."

What is the collective wisdom on this?

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2007, 11:07 AM   #2
Trout_man22
is One Chatty Farker

Good question, not all meat is shipped to the market frozen, I will admit most is, however CAB is not "supposed to be." I do know that the more meat is frozen and thawed the "musher" it gets. Also all pork is supposed to spend at least 30 days at 30 deg or below to kill Trichinosis (if present.)

"
God either exists or He doesn't.... I believe in God." Blaise Pascal
I'm a sinner, I regret my sin and will try to never do it again.
Trout_man22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2007, 11:22 AM   #3
Bigmista

IS trichnosis even a factor anymore? I thought that was pretty much bred out of pigs.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2007, 11:34 AM   #4
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Never noticed any difference.

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2007, 11:36 AM   #5
CharlieBeasley
is one Smokin' Farker

Alton Brown had a special on freezing Strawberries and to prevent the damage on the strawberries he quick froze them using dry ice in a bowl in the freezer and placing the strawberries on the dry ice for a time. Having said this I think a quick freeze is what is used by the meat producers. I don't know?
CharlieBeasley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2007, 11:37 AM   #6
Puppyboy
Babbling Farker

I get my spares frozen in cryo.

Can you even taste a difference unless obviuos freezer burn?

Old 07-10-2007, 12:27 PM   #7
butts a fire
is one Smokin' Farker

Since the cell walls are different between beef and pork (thanks Alton) freezing is not as big of a deal with beef as it is with pork. Having said that For competition I do not mind using a brisket that has been frozen in cryovac but I always use pork that has not been frozen (at least by me) for comps.

NB Bandera, Webber Kettle, Backwoods Party, Large BGE
butts a fire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2007, 12:33 PM   #8
adventurelarry
Knows what a fatty is.

My old boss freezes green unroasted coffee rapidly to, if I remember corectly, -40, and after defrosting the coffee has suffered no cell damage. When experimenting with a slower freezing process, the cells did suffer some damage. The flash freezing process clearly effects the water in the cells differently than the slow toss into a home freezer method.

While meat is clearly a different 'animal' I wonder if the method of freezing, as well as the speed at which the meat is frozen would make a difference. I suspect it would, and since I do not have a flash freezer someone else would have to experiment.

--Larry

BWS Upgraded Party
Weber Smokey Mountain
Weber Genesis Silver B
Weber Smokey Joe
Weber Q
Weber 18" Kettle
adventurelarry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2007, 12:36 PM   #9
BBQ_Mayor
is One Chatty Farker

I don't like using meat that has been frozen so I'll buy fresh. Or what i think is fresh. If it's not frozen when I buy it, then it's fresh to me.

Anyway, I have frozen my briskets before and not noticed a difference.
WSM, Whole Hog Lousianna pellet Smoker
IPT pellet Smoker and Gateway Drum
CBJ #4643
BBQ_Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2007, 05:28 PM   #10
LostNation
Full Fledged Farker

I use frozen meat at every contest. We pick up butts and briskets and freeze them for later use. Rib's I freeze to travel with, less ice.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:37 PM   #11
Rub
is Blowin Smoke!

I trim my fresh ribs and chicken at home, vac pack it, then freeze them to take to the contest. So far so good. I also freeze my briskets.
Nature's Own Hardwood Charcoal
Gator Nation
Rub is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2007, 06:56 PM   #12
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by butts a fire View Post
Since the cell walls are different between beef and pork (thanks Alton) freezing is not as big of a deal with beef as it is with pork. Having said that For competition I do not mind using a brisket that has been frozen in cryovac but I always use pork that has not been frozen (at least by me) for comps.
Ditto to that. Pork is just too cheap not to buy fresh. I don't mind frozen ribs and frozen brisket is fine by me. I'd rather not use frozen chicken just because the bone turns purple-ish.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2007, 07:35 PM   #13
tony76248
is One Chatty Farker

I freeze my ribs and chickens and can't notice the difference. I do know that an onion loses it's structure as does a banana.

When someone tells me they can tell my meat has been frozen, I will consider the difference, but until then nahhhhh.

There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to the mashed potatoes.

Brinkmann Model 6668 Gasser
Hibachi Grill
Stumps GF223 w/ Stoker assist
ECB that wins the $
Weber One-Touch Gold 22-1/2"
#3 Komono
Large BGE w/ Stoker assist
55 gallon Drum Smoker
Wood Crate Cold smoker w/ smoke injector
No need for certification, I already know good BBQ!
tony76248 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2007, 07:39 PM   #14
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

With all due respect, just because someone has always used frozen meat at competitions, even if they always place high, does not answer the question posed.

It would be very informative to actually do a blind judging of both fresh and frozen meat to see if there really is a detectable difference.

Have someone who always does well in competitions with beef and ribs, do two practice boxes of brisket and two of ribs, all of them cooked the same way, to competition standards. One of each that has been kept unfrozen and one of each that has been frozen. Then have experienced certified judges score for tenderness/texture just like at a sanctioned event.

This might not settle the issue once and for all, but should be well worth the time and trouble since everyone is looking for an edge at competitions.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2007, 07:44 PM   #15
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
With all due respect, just because someone has always used frozen meat at competitions, even if they always place high, does not answer the question posed.

It would be very informative to actually do a blind judging of both fresh and frozen meat to see if there really is a detectable difference.

Have someone who always does well in competitions with beef and ribs, do two practice boxes of brisket and two of ribs, all of them cooked the same way, to competition standards. One of each that has been kept unfrozen and one of each that has been frozen. Then have experienced certified judges score for tenderness/texture just like at a sanctioned event.

This might not settle the issue once and for all, but should be well worth the time and trouble since everyone is looking for an edge at competitions.
What a great idea!

Please let us know how it went

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote