Contest Announcment Winter Thawout/Practice CookOff 4/24-25

tonto1117

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Reaction score
Hi Folks,
We had a great time with this last year...alot of fun, and if you have never competed before... a great way to get your feet wet in competition BBQ.

The app can also be found and printed out at www glbbqa.com Hope to see some of you there!!

Great Lakes BBQ Association
Is Proud to Announce the:
2009 Winter Thaw Out
&
Practice Cook Off

April 24 & 25 – Eagle Park
Eagle Park Fairgrounds
14331 S Grange Rd, Eagle, MI 48822

Shake off the Winter blues, tune up the pit and join us for a fun Practice Cook. Arrive Friday afternoon or Saturday morning. Turn in all 4 meats or compete with meats you can cook on Saturday. In any event, we will have judging on Saturday at the traditional turn in times and cash awards and prizes in all four categories. Not to mention “Bragging Rights”!! Judging will conform to KCBS style rules.
$$ Amounts will be based upon the number of people that enter:
Raffles will also be held for some great prizes!!!!
Eagle Park will open on Friday afternoon and has restrooms, water (please bring your own water container), trash receptacles, ash cans, and limited electricity. In addition, they have a full kitchen facility. The park is lighted.

Turn in: Noon – Chicken
12:30 PM – Ribs
1:00 PM – Pork
1:30 PM - Brisket

Entry fee: Saturday Only = $35.00*
Friday and Saturday = $50.00*
* one team spot per entry fee

_____ Please check if you would like to participate in the Friday night Pot Luck Dinner.
(Wow, what a wonderful feast we had last year!!)

Please print this form and send check or money order to:
Great Lakes BBQ Association,
7119 Danbrooke West Bloomfield, MI 48322.
Application:
Name_______________________________
Team name__________________________
Head Cook___________________________
Arrival Date:_________________________
Amount enclosed:_____________________

Waiver Of Liability: In consideration of your accepting this entry, I the undersigned intended to be legally bound, hereby for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights and claims for any damages I may have against Great Lakes BBQ Association or Eagle Park, their agents, successors and assigns for any and all injuries suffered by me and/or my team in this event.

Come on out for a great time!! See you in April!

___________________________________Signature of Chief cook or representative

Questions?? Email: Theresa Munroe at tmunroe@glbbqa.com or Bruce McEnroe at bmcenroe@glbbqa.com Subject: GLBBQA April Cook Off.

this may actually be a possibility.....doing the google map thing now........

Hope you guys are enjoying the new toy....

this may actually be a possibility.....doing the google map thing now........

Hope you guys are enjoying the new toy....

You can count Bavarian Smoke in. Can't wait to see the new Geer Pit in action.

Its exit #84 off I-96 near Lansing Mi.

Mapquest works well for me.

Cant wait to meet you folks who can attend.

Last edited:
Well I could tell my wife we're going to Biggby coffee in Portland and stop by on the way back. :wink: Hmmmmmm...

Not far from the Eagle exit 76 I believe, first exit west of Eagle hook a right and its inside Toms Mkt.

Can't afford a vacation day for practice so won't make it this year. But I will plan a weekend at home to practice just to get in shape before Westmount.

Hope it a little warmer and less windy.

Hey Ford, can you come out after work or just cook Saturday ?? If not would you be interested in Judging or help rep the event ??

I just got approved, girl friend gave me the ok:biggrin:, will be sending in the application....looking forward to it....will be a little tired.....will be heading down to Kings Mountain, NC the weekend before for the contest down there......

Hey Ford, can you come out after work or just cook Saturday ?? If not would you be interested in Judging or help rep the event ??

Nope. I may do my own practice on Saturday/Sunday that weekend. I need to practice but want to do a full contest timing not show up late and disrupt the routine. And if I don't practice then I will want to be at home with the family. Already away from them too much.

Judging???? 434 :icon_devil sounds like a good score to me. :biggrin:

You can count Bavarian Smoke in. Can't wait to see the new Geer Pit in action.

Great to hear Dick! Keeping my fingers crossed for some true spring-like weather....but it's April in Michigan...so.....pack shorts and Carharts.:biggrin::biggrin:

EatonHoggBBQ said:
Well I could tell my wife we're going to Biggby coffee in Portland and stop by on the way back. :wink: Hmmmmmm...

Plenty of time to do some chicken and ribs!:tongue: Hope you can make it!

U2CANQUE said:
I just got approved, girl friend gave me the ok:biggrin:, will be sending in the application....looking forward to it....will be a little tired.....will be heading down to Kings Mountain, NC the weekend before for the contest down there......

Great news Rob!! It will be great to see you and Nicole again....god, I hope I remembered her name correctly....mad cow disease here ya know:wink:

Laughing, you are far better at names than I am....correct you are....

I'm pretty sure I'll be over early Saturday morning to disrupt things!

Scott

Does anybody know how many people are signed up to compete? I decided to take time off work simply because I need the practice, especially after seeing how Walt and Theresa are doing. Invited a few people from the office to show up as well. I plan to bring a strip loin for dinner Friday night.

I dont have hard numbers yet, but we have 5 paid entries and 5-7 teams saying money is in the mail.... Hopefully we will get 10-12 or more!!

Tonto and I are really looking forward to the Winter Thaw. Hope to see you all. We'll be there with the SmoSco and the Jambo. Although we will not be competing, we look forward to a full weekend of shiggin' :icon_devil

Bruce B and Scott, got your cutting boards and will bring to the Thaw.

It's finally and officially Spring, soooooooo Get Those Applications in.

walt

It's finally and officially Spring, soooooooo Get Those Applications in.

walt
Not in Eagle it isn't. They had snow this morning. And 127 south from Lansing was just one big ditch party every 2-5 miles. A couple of real good ones.

Glad I didn't put the water system back in the trailer yet. But will this weekend as have a party to cook for next weekend.

So like I said how many signed up? I sent my check to Bruce already.

So like I said how many signed up? I sent my check to Bruce already.

I'll check with Bruce at the end of the week and let you know.Planning on doing a big tray of smoked sausage, onions and peppers along with a couple Tri-Tips for the pot luck dinner.

Back