MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:48 PM   #1
ique
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Jambo Pit Owners Enter >>>

Has anyone installed rope gasket to get a better seal on the firebox?

Or installed silicone caulk around the doors?

I'm an OK cook, but when it come to stuff like this I'm all thumbs. Tried to install the silicone caulk but when I opened the doors about 1/2 of it pealed off.

Looking for advice on how to do this... thanks
ique is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2009, 01:00 PM   #2
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Silicon caulk has to cure complety and needs a good surface to adhere to..M not sure if your sticking it to paint, but that may be an issue. You have to oil/season the opposite side of the door to keep it from sucking the chalk off.

look in fireplace stores(that carry wood burning stoves) for the fiberglass rope-tape that they use on woodburning stoves. its a flat rope abount and inch wide that works well on fireboxes. (I use it on the spicewine to seal the stoker adapter. iIf u cant find it let me know, and I will pick up a package and a local place and send it.

Or send me the jambo, and I will send you an FEC100 in return. :)

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2009, 01:02 PM   #3
Transformer BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

I'd stay away from rope. I put some on the BWS with an adhesive... and it didn't last through more than two cooks. The solution was to put some flat screws head screws into the gasket... but you don't want to be doing that on your Jambo.

You might be having an issue with the silicone because of that finish... or maybe because it needs to be warmer to have silicone really attach well. Might want to give it a try when the weather is a little warmer.
Transformer BBQ
FEC 100, Lang 60M, Jamie Geer Backyard
Viking Professional Gasser
Transformer BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2009, 01:18 PM   #4
BBQchef33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transformer BBQ View Post
I'd stay away from rope. I put some on the BWS with an adhesive... and it didn't last through more than two cooks. The solution was to put some flat screws head screws into the gasket... but you don't want to be doing that on your Jambo.

You might be having an issue with the silicone because of that finish... or maybe because it needs to be warmer to have silicone really attach well. Might want to give it a try when the weather is a little warmer.

agreed on that.. and I forgot about a good point u make.. .. if hes doing it on cold steel, it will also not stick to well. Maybe preheat the pit a little, and keep it in the garage to cure.

But I disagrre on the the flat rope gasket.. I have had it on my spicebox for 2 years and on the Backyard Chef for even longer and its still going strong. Getting it to stick with grease on the door was a loosing battle.

The key was to use Gunk engine brite to wash the edge of the firebox and then wirewheel the steel where i put the adhesive, install the gasket and close the door on it while it set. Remember to put a layer of newspaper or soething that will burn off easily between door and gasket while it set. That stopped the glue from sticking to the door. The Paper peeled right off the excess once it cured and any remaining just disappeared.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Old 04-13-2009, 01:25 PM   #5
Transformer BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post

But I disagrre on the the flat rope gasket.. I have had it on my spicebox for 2 years and on the Backyard Chef for even longer and its still going strong. Getting it to stick with grease on the door was a loosing battle.

The key was to use Gunk engine brite to wash the edge of the firebox and then wirewheel the steel where i put the adhesive, install the gasket and close the door on it while it set. Remember to put a layer of newspaper or soething that will burn off easily between door and gasket while it set. That stopped the glue from sticking to the door. The Paper peeled right off the excess once it cured and any remaining just disappeared.
I rememebered afterwards that I changed gasket when I added the screws. The stuff that fell off was round, and was attached with an adhesive that came in a tube. The second go around had a peel off strip that attached the flat gasket to the door... and then we added screws. (could have been overkill, but I didn't feel like running into the issue at contests. Andy can atest to the stupid move I was doing in little rock with a knife in one hand, and closing the door with my knee.)

So that peel off stuff might work fine on its own.

Chris- if you send me footage you need I can try and get you enough for this weekend. The stove store near me sells it by the foot.
Transformer BBQ
FEC 100, Lang 60M, Jamie Geer Backyard
Viking Professional Gasser
Transformer BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2009, 01:50 PM   #6
tonto1117
is One Chatty Farker

We did the silicone caulk around the doors...waited till we had a few warm days in a row oil/seasoned the opposite side of the door like Poobah said and then let her sit for 3 days and it was good to go. Can't speak to the firebox door as we have the boiler door.

Geer Pit by Jambo
FEC-100
WSM
WEBER GENISES GAS GRILL

CBJ

Bacon & eggs - Hens are involved but pigs are commited.
tonto1117 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2009, 02:21 PM   #7
BBQchef33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transformer BBQ View Post
I rememebered afterwards that I changed gasket when I added the screws. The stuff that fell off was round, and was attached with an adhesive that came in a tube. The second go around had a peel off strip that attached the flat gasket to the door... and then we added screws. (could have been overkill, but I didn't feel like running into the issue at contests. Andy can atest to the stupid move I was doing in little rock with a knife in one hand, and closing the door with my knee.)

So that peel off stuff might work fine on its own.

Chris- if you send me footage you need I can try and get you enough for this weekend. The stove store near me sells it by the foot.
yeah, that round rope aint worth chit.. it doesnt have enough surface area to hold itself in place. I used that on my bandera and built a chanel that went around the door to hold the rope and the chamebr inserted into the channel. Over kill, but the bandera is sheet steel and has no surface area.

the flat tape works well. It comes either self adhesive, or u can use the glue.

News Flash:

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Old 04-13-2009, 02:35 PM   #8
ique
is Blowin Smoke!

Thanks guys. On the caulk, probably was too cold and/or I didn't oil the door well enough. Will try again soon now that it is getting warmer (I think)

Brendan, I have a stove store near me and will check... I may still take you up on that if it doesnt work out. Thanks!

Old 04-13-2009, 02:38 PM   #9
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ique View Post
Thanks guys. On the caulk, probably was too cold and/or I didn't oil the door well enough. Will try again soon now that it is getting warmer (I think)

Brendan, I have a stove store near me and will check... I may still take you up on that if it doesnt work out. Thanks!
Someone is modifying a Jambo ?

This post is my opinion and mine alone, not necessarily that of the KCBS, it's board of directors or office nor that of Peter Pan, Tinkerbell and certainly not Rush Limbaugh.
YankeeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2009, 03:46 PM   #10
ique
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeBBQ View Post
Someone is modifying a Jambo ?
No, Jamie recommends both of those additions. Not sure why he doesn't ship the pits that way... but he told me after a first burn to caulk the doors and add the gasket... not required but recommended....

Old 04-13-2009, 03:49 PM   #11
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ique View Post
No, Jamie recommends both of those additions. Not sure why he doesn't ship the pits that way... but he told me after a first burn to caulk the doors and add the gasket... not required but recommended....
There is one available on EBay, if you don't want the hassle of doing it yourself.......

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2009, 04:38 PM   #12
BBQchef33

does this mean your not sending it to me in exchange for the FE?

News Flash:

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Old 04-13-2009, 04:42 PM   #13
ique
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
does this mean your not sending it to me in exchange for the FE?

I was seriously thinking about it until I read the damn thing couldn't cook a few pieces of chicken.

Old 04-13-2009, 04:45 PM   #14
BBQchef33

(said quietly under my breath....FARK..grrrrrrrrr!!!)

OH NOOOOO.. thats been fixed.

Its now a high end chicken cooking machine!!!

I will even paint it your choice of colors.

News Flash:

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Old 05-21-2009, 09:14 AM   #15
ique
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Silicon caulk has to cure complety and needs a good surface to adhere to..M not sure if your sticking it to paint, but that may be an issue. You have to oil/season the opposite side of the door to keep it from sucking the chalk off.
OK, so that worked this time. I cleaned it well, applied the caulk, and oiled the opposing door, let it sit for a week. Went to open it and it wouldnt budge. Lit a fire, warmed the pit and I'm guessing the oil loosened up and the door popped right open. So, thanks.