• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pulled Buffalo shoulder?

BecknCO

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals -

I haven't popped in here for a while, so I thought I would and get excited to Q again! I just picked up this nice 4lb buffalo shoulder roast for 1/2 off - only $5.99/lb which is what the damn beef chuck roast goes for on sale right now at king soopers.

I was thinking of doing it like pepper stout beef, but since it's so darn lean, I'm not quite sure at what temp to smoke it before panning and foiling. Also what wood would you recommend using?

Gosh I hope this thing pulls ok too...:mrgreen:

Attachments

• buffalo shoulder.jpg
    buffalo shoulder.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 158
I've only smoked ground and steaks, it's very lean.
Maybe MossyMo will chime in. His family raises buffalo and I know he's cooked up some delicious looking meals. (so has Mrs Mossy... Tatonka) Both are members here.

Hey Jeanie -

me too - only ground and steaks I hope this sucker has enough fat to pull. I'll wait to hear from the other experts :)

I usually do the steaks and burgers with hickory - what woods do you like with buffalo?

Looking forward to the results if it happens. Like y'all, only have tried it ground and cut into steaks.

Hmm, I just picked up a Buffalo Brisket. I've got the same concerns.
Love the taste of buffalo though.

Hey Jeanie -

me too - only ground and steaks I hope this sucker has enough fat to pull. I'll wait to hear from the other experts :)

I usually do the steaks and burgers with hickory - what woods do you like with buffalo?

I like to use hickory too and sometimes a kiss of mesquite.
Good luck with it Beck, looking forward to your pics!

I like that Jeanie - hickory and a touch of mequite - think I'll go with that, thanks :)

It's like 10 degree outside now, but supposed to be 60 on Saturday when I Q it up! Man, I'm really surprised nobody else can weigh in on a buffalo shoulder. I found a post from about a year ago talking about it, but not much talk about technique or recipe...hmmmm

Good luck with it Beck, I'm looking forward to your cook. :)

don't have one and I'd hate to add fat to it if I can pull it off without

Back