MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:21 PM   #1
BRBBQ
Babbling Farker

Default Road side BBQ, not!

My plan has been to start a road side Q set up, you know the kind with 10x10 ez up. Well today I got shoot down faster than a rock falling out of the sky. I don't want to do this full time just 3-4 days a month, not much. So far I've asked Aldi's, Buckeys gas station, and Home depot, these places were like NO, not allowed, these people were raining on my parade also called a few other places but haven't talked with manager yet. Dissapointing so far. Will try again tommorrow might be whipping this dead horse
BRBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2010, 11:08 PM   #2
PCDoctor_1979
Full Fledged Farker

I've been toying around with the same idea over the winter. My thought was to team up with the folks who sell sweet corn in the various parking lots around town in the later part of the season. Haven't acted on it just yet, but might be an idea for you as well.
Brian Sweeney - CBJ #3691 - '77 Step Van Mobile Kitchen, Horizon Marshall, WSM with Pro Q Stacker, Weber Kettle & Smokey Joe GOLD.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Clarke's Third Law
PCDoctor_1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:41 AM   #3
BRBBQ
Babbling Farker

I've talked with HD and insurance, no problems there. Just finding a place. Yea I could talk to the farmers market folks, but that'll be later this year. I know a corner parking lot that has a lot of these stands, only bad thing is it'd be across the street from a BBQ joint. He might not be happy. But he might have to get over it!
Old 03-18-2010, 12:08 PM   #4
vr6Cop
is One Chatty Farker

Try Tractor Supply Company, if you have one there. There is a guy in my neck of the woods who sells ribs, Q and fish out of his vending van at our local TSC.
Jere Baxter-Edgefield Lodge 254 F&AM
vr6Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 05:16 PM   #5
BRBBQ
Babbling Farker

Ironic you said tractor supply I seen their newspaper add and thought, I'll try them. Not today, worked OT AT WORK
Old 03-19-2010, 04:46 PM   #6
PorkQPine
Full Fledged Farker

See if you can find a vacant lot near where you want to vend and contact the owner and lease the space from him.
PorkQPine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:07 PM   #7
BRBBQ
Babbling Farker

Today I'm under the weather, will try next week
Old 04-04-2010, 05:23 AM   #8
Smokin'Ron
Full Fledged Farker

Check out your Large Car Dealers... They may allow/want you to set up a couple of days a week. I don't have a setup yet, but I've been asked by a couple of dealers around here to do something for them once in a while, just not in a position to do so just yet.

The traffic is not like you would get at a Home Depot, but with the right planning, they can plug you in their add (no cost to you) and if you do a normal Saturday between these hours and those, you will get a following and the dealership will benefit from the extra traffic, they wouldn't have received before.

Just an idea. Good luck.

1- Cheap Charcoal grill (gone to the graveyard)
Smokin'Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:21 AM   #9
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

You will need to research the local vending laws. Aside form the HD many towns and cities have laws about vending and require permits. It can range from nothing to a yearly permit for $100 or o to $25 per day.

Also when looking at locations you need to consider the following: Power and bathroom. Running extension cords 200+ feet doesn't work well and cars will be driving over them. Probably want to work with the owner to run a power drop out. Bathrom speaks for itself. Porta Potty works but needs to be locked and needs to be serviced on a regular basis. Using the one in the store means being away from your area unless you have 2 people working. That means leaving food to potential tampering from an upset restaurant person in the area. Not necessarily the owner but a waiter, etc who thinks you're stealing their tips. A couple of bottles of exlax in your sauce can make it difficult for a lot of people.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:34 AM   #10
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

The best place to start looking is with your local HD and City / County websites...look under catering...get legal...stay legal...good luck!
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:50 PM   #11
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

Amen to the posts regarding staying legal.
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:41 PM   #12
Jeff Selle
Full Fledged Farker

I am starting small this year at the farmers market (in between comps). My wife already has a spot to sell her produce and she said the market folks are recruiting food vendors, so what the heck... I am gong to legal up and giver a shot ... I am going to do it mostly to try and get a few catering gigs, if I sell a few racks of ribs that would be cool too!
*1993 & 1998 Weber Performers
*Grill Dome Kamado smoker 18-inch
*El Cheapo offset smoker (CharBroil)
*4X8-foot trailered Santa Maria Grill
*Coveting a Weber Ranch Kettle
*Yellow splash-proof Thermapen
*Member of PNWBA/KCBS/West Slope BBQ Association
Jeff Selle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 06:46 AM   #13
BRBBQ
Babbling Farker

I seem to be having a problem on what to mount my CTO on for trailoring around, I don't want a enclosed trailer, looked at the ones Ole Hick sales, I guess one of them over head canopy types trailors looking the best for me.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:27 AM   #14
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

Ah...so many grasshoppers following in our footsteps!

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:05 PM   #15
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmista View Post
Ah...so many grasshoppers following in our footsteps!
Little do they realize the work involved.....
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote