Pepper stout beef mistake?

JonM106

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey, all!

I have a 4lb chuckie going and I'm following the pepper stout beef recipe. Everything was going fine until I brought the smoker temp up to 350 (this was after I got to 165 IT, and wrapped it up in the foil pan with the peppers, onions, etc.)

IT rocketed up to well beyond 205 and it was not fork tender. Here's where the possible mistake came in because I thought I had overcooked it. I sliced it and put it back in the foil pan, and sealed it up in a 225 degree oven. If I let it simmer, do ya think it'll get to fall-apart tender eventually?

I've had chuckies go up to 212 before getting probe tender. Next time, just put it back in the cooker till it is tender.

Most pepper stout recipes call for loosely pulling apart the roast and letting it cook longer in the juices and veggies as I recall.

Thanks all. I'll let 'er simmer and I'll stop fussing about it. Cheers!

I did 2 of these last weekend. Each one was 2.5 pounds. Mine did the same thing. Thought it would never get tender. After 165, foiled and went to 350, total of 7 house smoker time. Then I put it in the oven at 400 for another 1 1/2 hours before we could eat it.

Back