Parrothead Does Peoria!

Ron_L

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I know that Greg was busy today, so here's a quick summary of our trip to Peoria this weekend. I'll let him fill in the details...

It was a nice competition, with 34 teams entered. Some of the big names were there including Bar-B-Quau, Let's kick Some Ash, Smokin' Clones, Rock River Ribs and Ulcer Acres. We entered the traditional KCBS categories plus the dessert and hot wings category. We ended up with 8th place in Brisket. Greg has the complete results, and I don't remember where we were overall.

We all thought tha our food was very good. After our participation at Shannon, IL earlier in the summer, we really wanted to improve our chicken and butt, and I think we did both. We seem to be pretty consistent (after two comps) with brisket, with 7th at Shannon and 8th at Peoria. The ribs were good, but the meat we started out with was lousy. When we opened the cryo, we found shiners on all of the racks but one. They were also small racks, which threw our times off a bit, but the rack we used for turn in had the right tenderness. Complete results are below...

Here's a link to the pictures...

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=kgobm78.qtengsc&x=0&y=-sdpx40

Once we get settled in at the new forum, I can upload them.

Chicken:

10. Wild Porkers
9. Rock River Ribs
8. Ulcer Acres BBQ
7. Memphis in Mundelein
6. Bar B Quau
5. Let's Kick Some Ash
4. Doctor Porkenstein
3. Smokin Clones
2. Smokers Wild
1. Dr Chuckies BBQ

Ribs:

10. Happy Smokin BBQ
9. Bar B Quau
8. Peoria Custom Cookers
7. Hoosier Hogs
6. Corliss Johnson Memorial Foundation
5. Rock River Ribs
4. Smokers Wild
3. Smokin Clones
2. Buffalo's BBQ
1. Joey Mac Smoke Stax

Pork:

10. Re-Max Unlimited
9. Corliss Johnson Memorial Foundation
8. BBQ N Buddies
7. Rock River Ribs
6. Slug Bug BBQ
5. Checker Flag BBQ
4. Ulcer Acres BBQ
3. Let's Kick Some Ash
2. Smokin Clones
1. Its Swine O Clock Somewhere

Brisket:

10. Slub Bug BBQ
9. Re/Max Unlimited
8. BBQ-Brethren/Bigfellas
7. Smokin Clones
6. Joey Mac Smoke Stax
5. It's Swine O Clock Somewhere
4. Buffalo's BBQ
3. Bar B Quau
2. Smokers Wild
1. Rock River Ribs

Overall:

10. Corliss Johnson Memorial Foundation
9. Let's Kick Some Ash
8. It's Swine O Clock Somewhere
7. Ulcer Acres BBQ
6. Bar B Quau
5. Joey Macs Smoke Stax
4. Buffalo's BBQ
3. Rock River Ribs
2. Smokers Wild
1. Smokin Clones

Ron--thanks for the "initial" report.
Am sure Greg will chime in later with "The rest of the story" :lol: .

Some heavy hitters and nice rigs there :twisted:
Outstanding photos--

Looks like a beautiful weekend.

Thanks,

TIM

I heard from Rod (pelletenvy) while watching the BBQ Showdown that Smokin Clones had a major catastrophy at this contest. Heard their pellet smoker malfunctioned and burned down their really nice trailer - took several fire trucks to put it out. They actually won on a back-up pellet smoker they had that didn't get damaged.

Good job guys! Thanks for the photos.

with 7th at Shannon and 8th at Peoria.
Actually it was 6th in Shannon.

We finished 19th out of 34. Better than last time, which was what I really wanted. I actually wanted dead middle or better, but will take slightly below middle for our 2nd trip out. Next time it needs to be middle or better.

We had fun as usual, learned some more stuff, met some new people, and got to see people that we had met before. I met smokinhunter(?) I believe. Who Ron had met the weekend before at his riboff that he went to. He just joined and posted to another thread.

Getting called for brisket was nice, but was very dissapointed in the chicken and pork since we made leaps and bounds on them this time and only moved their placement to the middle of the pack. Oh well, just gonna have to keep on going.

Scores were all over the board. I can't tell one damned thing about where anything needs improvement as we received things like 3 9s and 3 6s. What the fark? Three thought it was great, 3 thought it was average. I spent half an hour chatting with Chad on the way home about this, as I know he has been going through the same thing. I have a feeling that we only had about half certified judges, which would explain the inconsistancy. Shannon was more even accross the board. I think half the town of Shannon are certified judges, which gives them a good pool to draw from.

Contest season is over. 2 this year as I only wanted to travel within 2 hours for the first year. Next year I will step up the distance and try to get 4-6 contests in. I can't hardly get through the learning curve doing only 2 per year.

MoKanMeathead said:
I heard from Rod (pelletenvy) while watching the BBQ Showdown that Smokin Clones had a major catastrophy at this contest. Heard their pellet smoker malfunctioned and burned down their really nice trailer - took several fire trucks to put it out. They actually won on a back-up pellet smoker they had that didn't get damaged.

I don't know if it was all that major... Here's what Smikin' Clones had to say about it...

"Oh, just a little minor implication right at 10:30pm right before I was ready to put on the competition meat. A burner had went out on my pellet cooker and kept feeding pellets. All Day for all I know!!!! Well when I went to adjust the temperature it relighted the glow stick and before I knew it we had a 540 degree cooker and flames coming up the walls. Melted all the door seals and who knows what else. Going to take some rebuilding to get this one going I think.

The security guard called the Fire department and 6 of peoria's finest fire trucks pulled up (even the hook and ladder). By then we had extinguished the fire with an extinguisher and all was well. Well not really well but the story turned out ok.

Needless to say I was out of commission. But luckily I had borrowed a cooker to help vend on, so I fired it up, put my competition meat on and proceeded along the way. Pretty interesting evening. I guess it's all about overcoming adversity. "

We were so absorbed in getting out pork on and managing temps that I don't think we even knew what was going on. They were in the vendor area, which was a block or so away form the rest of the competitors.

Great job guys. Keep up the good work. Congrats!!! on the walk. Always feels good!!!

Back