should i sell my stoker?

boogiesnap

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
hi everyone, throwing this out there for some opinions...

i really, really, like using the stoker on my WSM. i set up the cooker @ 260*, run an errand, come back, 260*. i throw on meat at midnight, wake up in the morning, 2farkin60*! it's just awesome. it's also SO DARN ACCURATE. if you want to cook at 277* you can do that, if you want to cook at 214* you can do that. just awesome. the techie stuff, which i haven't implemented yet is very cool too.
BUT.
i really, really don't like needing AC(or to purchase a duramax), fear of rain(yes, i built a box and a fan cover, but still), fear of it konking out in the middle of the night at a comp, and stupidly, setting it up and breaking it down(i know, it's super duper simple, but still, 1 more thing to do). it's also 1 more piece of equipment i need to care for.

as i get to know the WSM better, i'm finding i can lock it in at pretty much any temperature(ish) naturally for quite an extended period of time. 225, 250, 275, etc.
i have also found, if i want to cook high heat(above 300), natural aspiration of the fire works better than with the stoker(and i do have the upgraded fan).

what are some thoughts? i can't make up my mind.

I don't have a stoker or any other temp control tool. I can see how they would be very handy. But I can dial my WSM in on about a 10 degree range with no problem, so I don't see the need for myself to spend the money on one. I did overnight butts last Friday, got them on and an hour later the WSM was at 250. When I woke up 7 hours later, it was at 253. It wasn't windy, so that helped, but under ideal conditions I can lock it in pretty good.

keep the $50.

i'll trade you you're 13th place chicken recipe for it.

frank, thanks for your input.

I agree,they are just gadgets.Nothin wrong with that if you like em.If you learn your cooker you don't need em.:thumb:

Keep it. Peace of mind on overnight cooks at home, no need to worry about wind shifts, or live ash blowing out of your cooker. As for comps, it is just as nice to set it and forget it. Also, when we have gotten behind our time line at comps, it is nice to turn the controller up, and get to our higher temp much more quickly than our cookers would have in a normally aspirated set up.
Just food for thought
ML

Seems you enjoy it, so you may end up regretting getting rid of it. Unless you get something cheaper like the Pitmaster IQ and use the extra cash for some meat!

I see you're in New England so maybe there's too much snow in the Fall/Winter for you to smoke but here in Texas we do it year round. It's just more difficult in the winter mostly because of the wind but also because of the cold. That's where having an Ique is going to make my life easier and give me some peace of mind.

I'm sure I'll use it during the summer sometimes too but I really bought it for cooking in adverse conditions.

really, really, like using the stoker on my WSM. i set up the cooker @ 260*, run an errand, come back, 260*. i throw on meat at midnight, wake up in the morning, 2farkin60*! it's just awesome. it's also SO DARN ACCURATE. if you want to cook at 277* you can do that, if you want to cook at 214* you can do that.

Keep it. I think the above quote says it all.

Keep it, it's paid for and it sounds like you think you might want to use it in the future.

not sure if the CFM rating is enough for my stick burner but I'd trade you something for it. I've been interested in trying one of these but only for s&g's. My pit stays pretty solid with my vent settings but I could potentially extend the burn if I loaded lump and relied on the stoker to "throttle" air right? PM me if you are interested.

I see you're in New England so maybe there's too much snow in the Fall/Winter for you to smoke but here in Texas we do it year round. It's just more difficult in the winter mostly because of the wind but also because of the cold. That's where having an Ique is going to make my life easier and give me some peace of mind.

I'm sure I'll use it during the summer sometimes too but I really bought it for cooking in adverse conditions.

The wind and the cold, That's funny. Try winter in NW Ind. Or northern MN.

I use a Guru and now that I have it wouldn't get rid of it. Between the wind and the snow in winter its nice to be able to go to bed and just know the temps are going to stay where I want them.

But once I have a toy its hard for me to let it go.

year round for me!

as you can see assistance of the stoker is very useful for below zero.

Last edited:
Boogie, that's the situation where I've thought about getting one. I still smoke in the winter in my WSM, but won't do overnight cooks. I may have to invest in one just for that reason.

I've had mine for months, and have used is only a few times...but I still wouldn't sell it. Keep yours, you will regret selling it.

Back