MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-01-2011, 03:51 PM   #1
el_matt
Babbling Farker

Default UDS not acting "right"

I keep reading about the UDS temps spiking when removing the lid. Everytime I remove my lid (Weber lid), the temps drop by 20+ degrees. I have a standard 55 gallon barrel, single rack, charcoal basket, and a Polder thermometer. My intakes are two Weber "wheels" with two holes at 12 and 6 o'clock.

Any ideas as to why my UDS acts differently than most others? I'm not upset about this, just curious.

Matt
el_matt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2011, 03:54 PM   #2
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

IF the UDS recovers temp well, then I think it's a good thing that it drops rather than spikes. Just go with it. My UDS spikes when I open the lid for about 60 seconds but it recovers pretty quickly. My kegs, on the other hand, spike and just don't want to come back down. I have gotten to the point that I close the vents for a few minutes before opening my keg just to keep the spikes down to a manageable level.

Last edited by Boshizzle; 05-01-2011 at 04:24 PM..
Boshizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2011, 04:07 PM   #3
el_matt
Babbling Farker

Thanks, that's what I was thinking also. Like I said, not really worried, more just curious. Temps recover fairly quickly, so it's actually a good thing. I just didn't know if it had something to do with my intakes (most folks use a ball-valve), or not.

Off topic, but...congrats on the new Jambo, very envious out here in CA!!

Matt

Old 05-01-2011, 04:27 PM   #4
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Thanks, bro, but the Jambo is just a toy for my own personal amusement. I plan to continue to cook in my UDS and kegs. A UDS can cook some great Q.

Old 05-01-2011, 04:28 PM   #5
Cliff H.
is One Chatty Farker

I for one would like more info on your setup. If you are able to keep your lid off for any length of time while cooking, I would like to know how you are achieving that.

You have any pics of your drum?

Do you have a heat sink?

What kind if fuel ?

Triple 5 Competition BBQ

Formerly know as :

Metro Appliances and More Cooking Team

Last edited by Cliff H.; 05-01-2011 at 04:30 PM.. Reason: Sp
Cliff H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2011, 04:30 PM   #6
h20loo
is one Smokin' Farker

How your UDS appears to react depends on where you are measuring the temp. There is a difference between the measured temp of a thermo in the centre and under the grate or a thermo in the lid above the groceries.
h20loo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2011, 04:59 PM   #7
el_matt
Babbling Farker

Cliff, normally I use Kingsford blue, but have been using Royal Oak lump recently, UDS acts the same regardless. I don't have any type of diffuser. Email me for pics, [email protected].

H20loo, my digital thermo is about 1/4" above the grate. I have 2 pieces of MDF with a hole in their center that keeps it steady. Even my oven thermos read the same, at grate level.

I don't adjust anything prior to removing the lid. I just remove, do what I gotta do, then replace the lid.

Matt

Old 05-01-2011, 05:10 PM   #8
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

If you are burning fuel efficiently with the coals lit and burning outwards rather than having to have the intakes choked way down the temp spikes won't happen as easily.

If your basket of fuel is just gagging for a reason (air)too then opening lid is it a shure fire way to a spike think back draft.

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2011, 06:14 PM   #9
45fan
Full Fledged Farker

Mine does the same thing. When I lift off the lid the temp drops. I am sure this is because of the heat leaving the drum with the lid off. As soon as I put the lid back it spikes for a few minutes and then (usually) returns to temp. I am sure this is because of the extra air it gets while the lid off.

Best advice, dont lift the lid.
45fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2011, 06:33 PM   #10
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : D

I always close off all open ball valves for a few min prob like 2-3 min then I lift the lid do whatever I need to do and my temps are fine when I put the lid back on, try it see if it helps I use coal and wood chunks when I smoke also I don't really like lump(TO HOT) ya I know I'm the only one..

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-01-2011, 06:43 PM   #11
MushCreek
Full Fledged Farker

I think all of them drop while the lid is off- you're introducing a lot of cool air, and letting the heat escape. It's what happens after you put the lid back on that counts. I used to shut my intakes down before lifting the lid, but then I got lazy and don't bother, and the 'Q is just as good. I don't keep the lid off for very long, though.

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-01-2011, 07:32 PM   #12
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

I always thought it was better to have the thermometer right below the cooking grate, not above it.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2011, 09:34 PM   #13
Panthers65
is one Smokin' Farker

The grate temp itself will drop when the lid is off. however, the colder outside air is getting to the coals and igniting them more than normal operation. The spike everyone talks about is the spike right after the lid is closed when the coals are lit.
Panthers65 is offline   Reply With Quote