MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:34 PM   #16
neuyawk
is one Smokin' Farker

I'll play the contrarian and say go whole hog. But then again I'm biased and happen to cook a lot of whole hog.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=155840

The PLUS side of it is, it's hard to find an occasion to cook a whole hog and with 100 people coming you'll get your chance to practice.

So some hints on avoiding newbie disasters.

(1) Cook hotter than you'd normally cook for the first few hours. If you can get up to 300 go for it, otherwise above 275 is your sweet spot. There are plenty of guides that tell you to go lower but they're written by people who might have cooked ONE hog 6 years ago.

(2) Start earlier than you usually do. If you're done early the hog stays hot for a stupidly long time. Don't worry about getting done too early.

(3) if you're offset smoking make sure you foil after you get the color your want. Nothing uglier than a big black hog.

Thanks from:--->

Old 03-18-2013, 03:44 PM   #17
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

The question is how many faces you want to feed?
Figure 1 lb hog per person.
If you have a rotisserie its pretty idiot proof. Season, spin until shoulders are 190ish and serve. It comes outta the tiss pretty much already shreaded pkls its super moist!
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2013, 10:08 PM   #18
Magnum338
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I'm with Big Slick. Unless you've done enough whole hogs to have the time down,make it easy on yourself and your wife's peace of mind. As was said earlier... The WOW factor is nice, but if that is what you want, just get a big pig head, put an apple in its mouth and put it on the smoker. Serve it on the same plate with all your pulled pork from the shoulders you have so precisionally cooked. There is so much waste on a whole hog, I haven't cooked one in years... and I've cooked quita a few.
Magnum338 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-18-2013, 11:06 PM   #19
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Whole hog head, 4 or more shoulders(whole),some racks of ribs,lay it out to serve like a whole hog,even if does have 6 legs!Maybe throw in a coupla whole loins too.Whole Hog,Deconstructed!You get the Wow and make Mrs. happy.Kids will think it is cool too.Just a thought.If that is too much trouble,cook the shoulders and make everyone happy.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2013, 11:25 PM   #20
Just BS
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Re: Whole hog or shoulder

I did my one and only whole hog last summer, and although I got to check it off of my bucket list, I was disappointed with the finished product.

The challenge with doing a whole pig is that different parts of the pigs finish cooking at different times. Since you dont want to serve raw swine to anyone, you end up with some over cooked parts. Just something to think about.

Having said that, my friends are still talking about what a great party it wad...

Sent from my pocket computer ( G III)
Just BS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2013, 11:55 PM   #21
gtr

Just to further muddy things , I did a whole hog last December and loved every farking minute of it. I (and apparently all our guests) loved how it came out, and it was really fun and not that hard to do (I did it racer style in an offset). People get giddy seeing a whole pig and love watching it get broken down to eat. If you're okay with your fire management skills, that's really the main thing you have to focus on other than timing the cook right and, as previously mentioned, watching for color.

If you feel at all nervous about it, go for the shoulders. The point of the whole thing is having fun and celebrating a special occasion with family and loved ones - if you think it'll be fun, cook the whole hog, if not, go for the shoulders - just keep the focus on the fun whatever you do.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2013, 07:03 AM   #22
smokinrack
On the road to being a farker

Thanks for the replies guys. Normally I would ignore my wifes wishes and go ahead and cook whatever I wanted but since she has apparently already lost her mind trying to get everything ready it appears it will be more peaceful for me over the coming weeks if I agree to stick with the shoulders. On the bright side as some of you said I can still throw on some ribs and loins and such just to make it worthwhile.

We usually have a large get together in August while were camping thats a bit more relaxed probably gonna wait on doing the whole hog till then when we can just sit around drinking beer and watching the smoker without having to greet people and stuff.
smokinrack is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-19-2013, 08:51 AM   #23
daninnewjersey
Babbling Farker

If she's gonna stress.....you're gonna stress....

Old 03-19-2013, 09:05 AM   #24
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

Default Re: Whole hog or shoulder

Happy wife is a happy life. Whole hog sounds great but for an occasion like that you're probably better off letting wifey win. Now she owes you an opportunity to cook a whole hog , though.

Chris

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-19-2013, 10:34 AM   #25
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinrack View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. Normally I would ignore my wifes wishes and go ahead and cook whatever I wanted but since she has apparently already lost her mind trying to get everything ready it appears it will be more peaceful for me over the coming weeks if I agree to stick with the shoulders. On the bright side as some of you said I can still throw on some ribs and loins and such just to make it worthwhile.

We usually have a large get together in August while were camping thats a bit more relaxed probably gonna wait on doing the whole hog till then when we can just sit around drinking beer and watching the smoker without having to greet people and stuff.

Ahhh, perspective. Yes, I must admit, my opinion came from similar experience... We have our 4th of July party; same deal. I'm required to cook what she wants, and then anything else is my experiment, but it ****ed sure better not interfere with her eats. I'm actually probably going to do the same thing you/we described above this time, with 2 whole 20# shoulders, 2 9# butts, 10+- racks of BB's, and probably 2 25#+- fresh hams... She wants the shoulders, butts, ribs. I'd like to do the whole hog experience as best I can...
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2013, 10:42 AM   #26
DirtyChurro
Knows what a fatty is.

I was taught " If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. If Daddy ain't happy don't nobody care." I'd say make Mama happy.

Last edited by DirtyChurro; 03-19-2013 at 10:43 AM.. Reason: misspelled word
DirtyChurro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2013, 11:28 AM   #27
bigabyte

If you want to please a crowd for an event, make something you are least likely to screw up.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2013, 11:34 AM   #28
smokinrack
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
If you want to please a crowd for an event, make something you are least likely to screw up.

A screw up at this point could very well end up with me in a body bag, time to just smile and go along with whatever she wants LOL
smokinrack is offline   Reply With Quote