MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:34 AM   #16
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

Can't wait to throw "pedantic" around this weekend with boys at the bar and get this look................
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2013, 10:49 AM   #17
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman View Post
Can't wait to throw "pedantic" around this weekend with boys at the bar and get this look................
Ok, now you're making me Google it

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-30-2013, 12:01 PM   #18
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

I learned a new word today! :)

Old 01-30-2013, 12:16 PM   #19
Skidder
Babbling Farker

I've found a few barrels that if you turn them upside down and cut the bottom out but leave the rim they fit for some reason.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2013, 02:31 PM   #20
funugy
Take a breath!

+1 for sandblasting.

Burning and grinding works if you have the time and patience. The work isn't hard, just time consuming.

That is really cool that the drum lid fits on the Weber, great idea of using it as a side table.
funugy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2013, 02:51 PM   #21
mcbrew13
On the road to being a farker

I would try the weed burner first since you have one. It worked like a champ on my second one (first I burned with lumber = PITA). Weedburner, light soapy scrub with 3M pads and washed was way easier. Also takes care of the paint on the outside.
mcbrew13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2013, 03:33 PM   #22
ctfortner
Knows what a fatty is.

I am going to hit it with the weed burner just to see what happens. If it just falls off I may go that route. But I called a sand blasting place and he said sure no problem, building a smoker? haha guess its not a secret anymore. Said $25, done a bunch. paid $15 for the drum so probably be worth it huh?
ctfortner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2013, 04:06 PM   #23
jrn
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctfortner View Post
I am going to hit it with the weed burner just to see what happens. If it just falls off I may go that route. But I called a sand blasting place and he said sure no problem, building a smoker? haha guess its not a secret anymore. Said $25, done a bunch. paid $15 for the drum so probably be worth it huh?
$25 is by far the best price I've ever heard of. I generally see people on this site saying $40-60. I'd jump on that!

Old 01-30-2013, 04:41 PM   #24
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

The barrels with all the ridges like the one you have pictured are smaller and not as heavy duty as the ones without. They will fit the Weber lid without modification.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:54 PM   #25
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

You just got lucky is all, no two barrels are alike... well unless they're from the same manufacturer.

Personally I'd use the original lid from the barrel. It's made to fit, and like others said with the Weber lid you'll likely have grease and smoke splooge dripping down the outside of your drum. You won't get that with the lid because the lip fits the inside. If you're concerned about less headroom with the flat lid rest assured, if you put your rack 7-8" down you'll be able to fit a turkey in there laying flat.

There is also debate about different cooking characteristics, dome vs. flat lid, but that's a whole 'nuther thread. Mine cooks AWESOME with a flat lid and short chimney pipe.

Good luck either way. UDS's are the best!

Old 01-30-2013, 07:06 PM   #26
Neonnblack
Full Fledged Farker

25 bucks is a good price, i'd jump. considering depending on your loc and price of propane, it might only be a few bucks more for blasting.
Neonnblack is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-31-2013, 09:20 AM   #27
ctfortner
Knows what a fatty is.

Well, now I have another decision. I was looking through my notes and completely forgot about a local place that sells reconditioned drums. I called them and for an unlined (but outside painted) drum and lid its $23. For a bare unlined and unpainted drum its $13 with lid.

I know my weber lid probably wouldnt fit anymore like it does the one I have now, paying $25 for sandblasting and already $15 in the current barrel, I should probably re-sell it and get the one ready to use and save money in the end.

@ J-rod - The main reason for the weber lid is having 2 grates. I am planning to make the drum lid and weber lid usable for the smoker. When I need 2 shelves use weber, all other times use drum lid. I will just see how it goes with the weber lid, if I dont like it I wont use it, nothing lost there it was free.
ctfortner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2013, 10:36 AM   #28
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctfortner View Post
Well, now I have another decision. I was looking through my notes and completely forgot about a local place that sells reconditioned drums. I called them and for an unlined (but outside painted) drum and lid its $23. For a bare unlined and unpainted drum its $13 with lid.

I know my weber lid probably wouldnt fit anymore like it does the one I have now, paying $25 for sandblasting and already $15 in the current barrel, I should probably re-sell it and get the one ready to use and save money in the end.

@ J-rod - The main reason for the weber lid is having 2 grates. I am planning to make the drum lid and weber lid usable for the smoker. When I need 2 shelves use weber, all other times use drum lid. I will just see how it goes with the weber lid, if I dont like it I wont use it, nothing lost there it was free.
Far out. FWIW there is still enough room in there for a second rack with a flat lid. I added one last year for those big cooks. Either way you'll love the UDS.

DEFINITELY go with the bare metal drum- for 25 bucks? Hell yeah. Removing liners is a pain in the ass!!!

Be sure to post pics when you're finished. We've all seen a million UDS's, but no two are identical!

Old 01-31-2013, 05:38 PM   #29
Deeg
Knows what a fatty is.

My Weber lid fit like a glove on my 30-gallon drum, which I believe is a standard size.
Deeg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2013, 06:45 PM   #30
jrn
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeg View Post
My Weber lid fit like a glove on my 30-gallon drum, which I believe is a standard size.
Deeg is your 30 an open or closed top?