MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 10-18-2005, 06:10 PM   #1
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Contest Near Harrisonville, Missouri?

Has anyone heard of a contest that's been sanctioned near Harrisonville, MO? I got home from work today and had a message from someone claiming to have a KCBS sanctioned event this coming weekend "near Harrisonville". I checked the Bullsheet and the KCBS Web site and found nothing indicating a new contest had been sanctioned. Anyway, this person found my name and number somehow and called to see if my team would consider entering. I called back but got a voice message. Not sure if I'm up for three in four weeks but some of you MOFOs might be itching to get out again one more time.
KCBS Member #14287

Last edited by Jeff_in_KC; 10-21-2005 at 08:43 AM..
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2005, 06:34 PM   #2
Solidkick

I think you need to come to Columbia and get in this contest for the Brain Injury Association of Missouri, very low pressure, good people, and a good cause.

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2005, 07:01 PM   #3
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Since it is so hard to find (and I looked also), it might be a "turkey shoot" with real low attendance.
Or, a mess.

Interesting.

TIM

Old 10-18-2005, 07:01 PM   #4
Jeff_in_KC

Kick, I have no way of getting my stuff down to Columbia this weekend... been borrowing/bartering trailers and pulling with my RAV4... NOT good on the tranny! Just had to get by this season til better arrangements can be made for next year. I am not going to participate this wekeend at whatever this one is up here as I already promised myself as a park board member to assist in set up of a local event here. Just thought someone might know about it or would be interested. If my schedule allows next year, I'll be a tentative "yes" for the Brain Injury Association of Missouri as I agree that we need to give back to our communities. In fact, I'm thinking of offering to do a cook for the local Meals on Wheels program as they are operating on a really tight budget. Anyone have any experience with this to offer advice?
KCBS Member #14287

Old 10-18-2005, 07:03 PM   #5
Jeff_in_KC

Yeah, it kinda concerns me, too, Tim. I don't want to criticize anyone, though, for making an effort to organize a contest unless I see bad motives for organizing it in the first place. I'll pass it along if I find out anything worthwhile.
KCBS Member #14287

Old 10-18-2005, 07:09 PM   #6
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

They've been posting on the BBQ Forum, looking for participants, too. The latest message says that they have 8 or 9 teams signed up. prizes seem low... $500 for GC, $100 for each meat categroy 1st place.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2005, 07:10 PM   #7
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC
Yeah, it kinda concerns me, too, Tim. I don't want to criticize anyone, though, for making an effort to organize a contest unless I see bad motives for organizing it in the first place. I'll pass it along if I find out anything worthwhile.
I really was not saying anything negative at all.
It is just nice (and rare) to find an event that has been under-promoted or, for some other reason, does not draw a huge field!
I would jump on those in a heartbeat if we ever found one down here.
"Turkey Shoot" means--easy to win compared to hunting a turkey in the wild.

And, 1st year events are sometimes a mess as the organizers learn how to do it!

TIM

Old 10-18-2005, 07:21 PM   #8
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L
They've been posting on the BBQ Forum, looking for participants, too. The latest message says that they have 8 or 9 teams signed up. prizes seem low... $500 for GC, $100 for each meat categroy 1st place.
Thanks Ron--found it.
I am always curious about these little mysteries.

Hundred bucks to play.
Paying 1/3 of the current field.
Low $$-- but good odds of getting some of your $$ back or making a nickle or two (depending on who shows up)

They do not say sanctioned there--just using KCBS rules and Reps.
Sounds like a practice event-- hoping to be sanctioned next year to me.

Arthur, Il was a "7 team" event last year. This year, drew 47 teams including about 12-15 heavy hitters. Reported to be a good event last year and even better this year with the practice.

I would jump on that "in a Florida minute" if someone did it down here--for sure!

Should be fun.

TIM

Old 10-18-2005, 10:11 PM   #9
Jeff_in_KC

Can't myself, although Tim, you're making me WANT to! I already have a commitment this Saturday to my community and to my daughter.
KCBS Member #14287

Old 10-18-2005, 10:19 PM   #10
Jeff_in_KC

Oh wait a second! Just saw that it is a Sat/Sun event... I MIGHT be able to make it afterall if the wife doesn't flip out over the cash! I will have to call this Jessica person tomorrow and follow up...

Update - OK... just checked and she did indeed "flip out" but I told her entry is cheaper than other contests and I could probably get by with a single brisket, two butts, three slabs and a dozen thighs. I still have a little birthday cash I could apply towards all that. Do I have a problem that needs the 12 step program or what?
KCBS Member #14287

Old 10-18-2005, 10:40 PM   #11
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC
Oh wait a second! Just saw that it is a Sat/Sun event... I MIGHT be able to make it afterall if the wife doesn't flip out over the cash! I will have to call this Jessica person tomorrow and follow up...

Update - OK... just checked and she did indeed "flip out" but I told her entry is cheaper than other contests and I could probably get by with a single brisket, two butts, three slabs and a dozen thighs. I still have a little birthday cash I could apply towards all that. Do I have a problem that needs the 12 step program or what?
12 step--YUP!

Welcome to the Dark Side
Go for it if (and only if) it is right for you

TIM

Old 10-18-2005, 10:50 PM   #12
Jeff_in_KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapndsl
12 step--YUP!

Welcome to the Dark Side
Go for it if (and only if) it is right for you

TIM
I thought I was ready for a break... when I thought there was nothing else to do this season! I emailed Scott... maybe he can hook up with me to do this... seeing that it's right there in his hometown! I suppose I could swing this myself if I HAD to. Afterall, there was a guy at the Royal from Oklahoma (Bodacious BBQ) that I believe cooked by himself. At least I never saw another person there. But it would definitely be more fun with two people and I'm pretty sure my buddy from Olathe won't be available. I imagine this could be done pretty inexpensively and with very little fuss.
KCBS Member #14287

Old 10-19-2005, 05:56 AM   #13
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Just to clarify, this is a revival of an old event. Harrisonville used to hold a sanctioned event the week (maybe 2) prior to the Royal. I have no idea if these are the same organizers as the old event or a new effort altogether.
Either way, I wish I'd known about it sooner.

They give me shivers when they bounce around, buckled up or draggin' on the ground, I like big....Joe Walsh
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2005, 12:08 PM   #14
Jeff_in_KC

Scott, it must be different people. I just talked to this girl and she is completely new to this. She was told by KCBS that they'd send a person down to help. She was also told that if they can get 15 teams entered this year that they would automatically be sanctioned by KCBS next year. I hadn't heard this was possible but I don't know for sure. The contest is in ther parking lot at Kurzweil's meat SW of Harrisonville a few miles. They aren't allowing set up until 10am, which would work for me. I think I could get set up, rub briskets and butts and be back to Pleasant Hill in time for my daughter's soccer game at 12:30 and then back to the contest by 1:30 or so... if I even wanted to go back for awhile. Not much need as far as I can tell unless there are rules about not physically occupying your site for periods of time.

Since this is only 15 or so miles from my house, I'm giving serious consideration, especially given that it's Sat/Sun and I won't have to take a day off work.
KCBS Member #14287

Old 10-19-2005, 02:14 PM   #15
Jeff_in_KC

Final update... I'm IN on the new Harrisonville event. In the words of our illustrious PooBah there's no reason in hell for me NOT to do this event (cheap and close to home) because it gets me another contest under my belt before next season. Since they're playing by all KCBS rules, it should be valuable. I actually had my wife suggest that she and our daughter both go down there on Saturday afternoon, set up the family tent and just a small canopy and make an overnight trip out of it and have my wife available to help out. So... just when I thought we were done for the season... I'll let ya know Sunday night how we do.
KCBS Member #14287