MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:27 PM   #16
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

I am a little confused why the title of the web page says season 2 but the website says season 3.

Quote:
<title>BBQ Pitmasters Season 2 begins shooting in May</title>
I hope it comes back with either format.

Edit: If you follow the link to TLC it shows a video from season 2.....something smells here. This company tbazone.com is concerning.

Thanks from:--->

Old 01-28-2012, 09:28 PM   #17
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSmoke View Post
If you click on the link and watch the trailer that they put up it sure looks like season 2. If it is like season one, what do you think is the compensation? Season 2 is obviously the prize money but other than notoriety what did the season one guys get? Not that notoriety is bad. I went to Q, Lee Ann's place in Chicago, where they are charging 35 bucks for a rack of "competition" ribs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster View Post
Heck, I won't even eat MY competition ribs and they are free!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSmoke View Post
When we are in Madison I'll eat some of yours
Sure, what do you know, your a judge! LOL

(OK, ducking for cover now!!!!!)
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2012, 09:31 PM   #18
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
Yes, I guess. We should probably be grateful for a third season. This forum has benefited greatly from the show. I've got a clue since I was a moderator that had to deal with the growth coming from season 1.

I haven't heard too many complaints from the folks that have been on the show. The complaints I have heard or read have come from those that weren't. Hindsight is perfect.

Instead of starting to pick something apart before it's rolled out, how about supporting it and hoping that it represents us well.
when the actors in the movies write the reviews for their own films this position might hold water. of course those who were on the show didn't complain.

thumbs up to all who benefitted, but let's face it, season 2 was a disappointment for alot who watched expected better or different.

*edit* not better from the competitors, but better from the format.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:

Last edited by boogiesnap; 01-28-2012 at 09:56 PM..
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-28-2012, 09:39 PM   #19
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

I LOVED season 3. People cooked, had to be creative, and we all knew somebody. Great formula .
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2012, 09:46 PM   #20
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
I LOVED season 3. People cooked, had to be creative, and we all knew somebody. Great formula .
this new server IS fast. you already watched season 3?

i loved watching people cook i am freinds with here, but disliked how they were judged, save myron.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2012, 04:25 AM   #21
TooSaucedToPork
is one Smokin' Farker

I would watch it if they could bring back the different competitions from the first season, and mix in a little drama for good effect. If it is another Top Chef or Iron Chef clone...I'm not going to bother.

We all know Drama sells, my bet is on season 2 format.

Stumps OS223, Stumps GF223, Grilla Pellet Cooker, RectTec680, Traeger Tex, HM Offset Barrel, 18.5 and 22 inch WSM, UDS, Orion, 2 Weber Kettles...and a couple turkey fryers

"We're a drinking team...with a BBQ problem"

Want to join the team for Memphis in May?
[url]http://www.toosaucedtopork.com[/url]
TooSaucedToPork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2012, 06:50 AM   #22
ModelMaker
Quintessential Chatty Farker

All I know is, when you submit your video you better have someboby hollering
"GOOD SMOKING LUCK, FARKERS!!"
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2012, 08:00 AM   #23
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

I still liked the first season format. I know the published said the second season format would be more accessible to a wider audience, but all of the non-BBQ people I talked to preferred the first season format as well. Season 2 was trying to be Top Chef, but I think "Best in Smoke" did a better job of being Top Chef for BBQ. The first season was more like other reality show formats, giving you a glimpse inside a world the general public doesn't know (Deadliest Catch, Ice Road Truckers, Pawn Stars). I hope they bring it back...
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2012, 08:32 AM   #24
que_dawg
On the road to being a farker

Default Season 3 format

I have heard from a person involved in the production that they will be traveling around to different competitions again. Who knows if that is the whole story though, I would not be surprised to see some other type of twist involved. But it did sound like they are at least moving back toward the Season 1 format.

[url]www.facebook.com/superiorsmokers[/url]
Head Pitmaster In Charge, Superior Smokers
que_dawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2012, 09:35 AM   #25
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

Season 1, season 2, i dont give a chit, I think it's cool to watch my friends and people I know compete on TV.It must be working for someone, they are doing it again.

All I know is a few years ago when I said I'm a competition BBQ cook most people had no clue what that meant. Now more often then not I get either "I saw that on TV!" or " am I going to see you on TV?".

Good luck to everyone that submitting a video! Represent!!!!

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2012, 11:29 AM   #26
Big Poppa
is One Chatty Farker

Gosh its bbq on tv....I remember in my main business when guitar hero hit and all the purists screamed nearly as bad as some of you... I asked them if they would have preferred it to be called Tractor Hero? I got in the game and my sales went nuts...it grew guitarists...the second game on my competition that shunned it tried to get in....
We need about four shows on the thousands of channels out there. COmpetition will make them better. Also remember what we all would find fascinating is like watching paint dry to the people buying toilet paper....just my .02

The idea is that the more exposure we get the better chance of growing.
Big Poppa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2012, 11:37 AM   #27
MattCom
Take a breath!

Sadly we'll still have to listen to Sapp's ramblings... Maybe he'll be the one passing out the wet-naps at the end of Judging.

WSM 18.5" & 22"
22.5 in Weber Kettle
Smokey Jones
SS UDS 1.0
MattCom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2012, 12:23 PM   #28
btcg
Babbling Farker

Season 1 was a documentary, and Season 2 was a game show.

I think it's reasonable to conclude that you could separate the Brethren membership into groups of 10, poll them, and the membership would consistantly choose Season 1 over Season 2 at an 8 to 2 rate (8 like Season 1: 2 like Season 2) all day long.

But if you polled non-barbeque folk, that number would flip in the other direction.

Unless it's your hobby or you have a special interest, few want to see a documentary more than once... even one that changes slightly.

I agree with the guy who is in the "I'll take what I can get" category. Some shows, even of a Season 2 type, are better than none.

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-29-2012, 12:48 PM   #29
Disconnect
On the road to being a farker

FWIW the non-bbq types I've introduced to it loved season 1 way more. But I suspect the ratings don't show that..

Old 01-29-2012, 12:51 PM   #30
kurtsara
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcg View Post

I agree with the guy who is in the "I'll take what I can get" category. Some shows, even of a Season 2 type, are better than none.

I couldn't even stand watching the commercials for season two, so I would never watch it if it was the same as season two.
kurtsara is online now   Reply With Quote