MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:07 PM   #1
StrikeEagle
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Price by the Gig vs. Per Person

I'm beginning to think that I'm the only one who operates on a 'per gig' basis. So, when I price an event, I do so based on a firm estimate of people to attend given to me by the host or hostess. I work with my clients on an ongoing basis to be sure that we develop a good estimate in the beginning and fix the final 'contract' number with a week to go to the event. Behind the scenes I factor in a 'buffer' to ensure that we can cover a little stretch should extra folks attend, (usually about 5-7%) but if a bunch of extra people show up, we MAY run out of some items. (Note, I've never run out of food, but we did have to get a little creative, once.)

For me, this ensures a KNOWN price for the client, and a KNOWN cost factor for me. Yes, there is a slight risk of coming up long or short of food, but to be honest, I've never been off by too much, and the 'extra' food makes great left-overs for the host/hostess.

Am I alone in using this pricing model?
StrikeEagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-12-2009, 03:24 PM   #2
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

I have priced both ways. Depending on what number I think will look more appropriate to the client is depending what I do. More often then the other I price the entire gig. But that price comes from a pp number I have developed, so basically it is the same thing.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine

Last edited by Jacked UP BBQ; 05-12-2009 at 04:03 PM..
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 03:38 PM   #3
TOPS BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Jamie - I work my gigs, the same as you do. But I also state in the contract the amount per person goes up (for the extra guests) by 50%, if the number of guests exceeds the agreed contract amount. I too cook extra, but that is to cover my arse and not look bad for running out of food. I have never ran out and if I did, it would be because the party invited extra guests without notifying me.

Diamond Plate FAT 50 Ultra
200-Gal Barrel
55-Gal Horizontal offset
2 55-Gal Vertical Barrels
Bar-B-Chef Offset

Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting for dirty!
TOPS BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 03:43 PM   #4
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Whats the difference? It's all based on how many people your feeding.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 03:54 PM   #5
hossrocks
On the road to being a farker

We do the same thing. However, I present the price as per person to the client based on the number of people they have guaranteed will be there. If they run a little heavy (5-7 plates) I'm good. If it runs more than 10 peeps extra I will stand the chance of running out of food. Frankly, if they have 10 or more people eating than what they told me then they are most likly trying to stiff me. Just my .02
[B]Kuna, ID[/B]
[URL="http://www.bigdaddysbbqonline.com"]www.bigdaddysbbqonline.com[/URL]
Louisiana Grill - Whole Hog
Traeger 150
30x72 Reverse Flow Offset
16ft Wells Cargo Mobile Kitchen
12ft Full service Mobile Kitchen
hossrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 04:46 PM   #6
big brother smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
I concur!

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 05:11 PM   #7
StrikeEagle
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
The difference is expectations and payment. It's tough to get paid "PP" when the actual count is in excess of the estimate. And, it sucks when a client is expecting to write a 'short check' because people didn't show. (The extra food is still sitting there at the end of the event.)

My general rule is to get paid 50% on booking with the balance at the beginning of 'set up' as this avoids all sorts of complications and payment delays. I personally HATE dealing with payment, or refunds, at the end of a gig. I would MUCH rather end the event on a positive note of everyone having had a GREAT time as we pack up and leave the event site.

For me, this works, but I am ALWAYS interested in how other folks do it, and why.
StrikeEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 05:32 PM   #8
big brother smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrikeEagle View Post
The difference is expectations and payment. It's tough to get paid "PP" when the actual count is in excess of the estimate. And, it sucks when a client is expecting to write a 'short check' because people didn't show. (The extra food is still sitting there at the end of the event.)

My general rule is to get paid 50% on booking with the balance at the beginning of 'set up' as this avoids all sorts of complications and payment delays. I personally HATE dealing with payment, or refunds, at the end of a gig. I would MUCH rather end the event on a positive note of everyone having had a GREAT time as we pack up and leave the event site.

For me, this works, but I am ALWAYS interested in how other folks do it, and why.
Thanks for your thoughts! I charge by the person with a $300 booking charge (to remove the date from our books) with a guaranteed minimum.
The balance is due 10 days in advance (No chasing the client after the event). My guaranteed minimum is 75, I have been known to do 50.