MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:01 AM   #4891
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

BD, the fit on the donor drum top is quite good on mine, kind of a friction fit. As the top slides over the drums lip, it snugs up nicely and there are no leaks.
I've never seen any smoke coming out where the two parts meet and have not noticed any temp spikes either. Originally was gonna use a gasket but it's tight enough without one.
Smokin' D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2010, 10:13 AM   #4892
devious
is one Smokin' Farker

OK here is my first run at a UDS

Last edited by devious; 01-31-2012 at 07:59 PM..
devious is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2010, 10:15 AM   #4893
devious
is one Smokin' Farker

ill get the picture thing figured out sooner or later
devious is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2010, 10:47 AM   #4894
IronStomach
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by brotherbd View Post
Thanks for the response on the making of a donor drum lid.

Now it looks like i gotta buy an anvil.

Unless someone has a better idea, I really hope so, anvils are $60 at harbor freight.

I was wondering if anyone had pit an inner rim around the donor lid to make it fit and seal. Just a thought.

I was in sheet metal job shops for about 15 years, but, alas no brake, no shear, no 1/2 million 32 die cnc punch press now if I had access to one the old shops..., well it wouldn't be a UDS then would it, it would be art.

Anyway, I'm looking to getting around to making two or more of these.

I do have another question.

I've been cooking using LP on an Smokey Mountain smoker for the last couple of years, so i'm not familiar with charcoal either lump or brickette.
I've seen postings that have raised the problems of too much moisture in the charcoal wreaking havock on uneven burns.

Here's the question .... ( I know some of you are glad I finally got there)
If it's stored in the garage or even an extra drum with a lid could you still end up with a moisture problem?

A) An anvil from HF is not an anvil, it's a horrible mockery of an anvil that was brought into this world with evil intent and bad juju. You don't need an anvil, hammer it out on a concrete pad or a piece of wood like smokin d suggests.

B) The moisture problem with charcoal is from leaving the unburnt charcoal in the firebasket between cooks. Charcoal soaks up ambient moisture in the air pretty well, so consider getting a metal bucket with a tight fitting lid to put the unused charcoal into. That will serve two functions: (1) reuse unused charcoal (2) trap the charcoal and prevent you from burning your house down with a piece that didn't apper to be lit.

Charcoal comes in paper bags because the bags absorb the moisture before the charcoal does.

95% of cooking outdoors well is proper fire management. Just get going wit' it and you'll learn what to do and what not to do real quick. :-) My guess as to why people suggest to smoke ABTs and fatties and Armadillo eggs first is because they are pretty hard to ruin from practice heat. Easier to ruin from bad smoke though....

Good luck and have fun!

Old 02-03-2010, 01:23 PM   #4895
crappiemike
Found some matches.

Default Smoker #1

My first UDS. I got the barell from a place that refinishes them,no liner.I welded a 1/8 by 3/4 inch band of steel around the top inside edge leaving 1/2 inch sticking up to fit the Weber lid. I welded the entire wheel assembly from a Weber to the bottom. I made a 2 inch id carburator style air intake,works well. The grill supports are 1 1/2 inch pieces of angle weled to the barell. Thanks for all the tips on this forum..Here's a link to some pictures...http://picasaweb.google.com/mikehanson0/Uds
crappiemike is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-03-2010, 01:35 PM   #4896
N8man
Babbling Farker

That's a Fine Looking Smoker!!!
Love that Air Intake!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crappiemike View Post
My first UDS. I got the barell from a place that refinishes them,no liner.I welded a 1/8 by 3/4 inch band of steel around the top inside edge leaving 1/2 inch sticking up to fit the Weber lid. I welded the entire wheel assembly from a Weber to the bottom. I made a 2 inch id carburator style air intake,works well. The grill supports are 1 1/2 inch pieces of angle weled to the barell. Thanks for all the tips on this forum..Here's a link to some pictures...http://picasaweb.google.com/mikehanson0/Uds

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2010, 02:19 PM   #4897
pigdog
Full Fledged Farker

ok, having a tough time finding a lid for the uds build. Nothing on craigs or anywhere around here. That's the prob with small town wyo. Can someone direct me to where I could purchase something that would work online? I think I read someone got a lid at Target somewhere maybe. Have done searches at lowes and other places and I can't find anything.

any help where to look would be appreciated.

thanks
pigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2010, 02:30 PM   #4898
Mark
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by crappiemike View Post
So should we refer to you as crappie or mike for short?

Anyway, way to go on your steel band modification. That's the way to do it.

As far as the air inlet, it looks a little difficult. I have previously offered a simpler but similar means for providing inlet air via the attached pictures. Has anyone else ever tried this approach? Yeah I know; not enough wheels

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.

Last edited by Mark; 02-26-2010 at 01:49 PM..
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2010, 02:42 PM   #4899
crappiemike
Found some matches.

Default UDS lid

I just bit the bullet an bought a new 22.5 Weber on sale at " Fleetfarm" for $75 on sale. Used the lid, grill rack ,wheels etc..mike
crappiemike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2010, 07:56 PM   #4900
CUTigerQ
is one Smokin' Farker

OK...got most of what I need to start my UDS but im nervous a little. Im wondering about me cutting the top off of this thing. I only have a hammer and chisel. What Im wondering about is if I want to use the lid I cut off, do I cut it off inside of the lip or UNDER the lip? Any tips on the best way you get it cut with a chisel since Ive never used one before? Stupid questions, I know, but Im a noob.
Gateway Drum
ORANGE Thermapen
Flame Boss 500
CUTigerQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2010, 08:20 PM   #4901
blackdog043
is one Smokin' Farker

It's a lot easier with a scroll saw with a metal cutting blade if you have one. I cut inside the rim, keep it tight against the rim and you get a clean cut. you won't be able to re-use the lid as a top.
blackdog043 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2010, 08:28 PM   #4902
CUTigerQ
is one Smokin' Farker

so there is no way to reuse the lid no matter how you cut it? I dont have any saws and only the hammer and chisel to cut with. If I want to use the lid, how do I? Get someone to cut it off for me?
Gateway Drum
ORANGE Thermapen
Flame Boss 500
CUTigerQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2010, 08:53 PM   #4903
IronStomach
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariettaSmoker View Post
so there is no way to reuse the lid no matter how you cut it?
He's implying that it will no longer be wide enough to cover the hole.
Cut it off and use a Weber or Weber knockoff 22-1/2" grill lid.
Or a 22-1/2" wok (google it, they exist).
Or something else made of metal big enough to cover the hole.

Use your imagination -- if you don't have the tools or the materials or the cash, it's by far your best ace in the hole.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:45 PM   #4904
blackdog043
is one Smokin' Farker

Originally Posted by MariettaSmoker
so there is no way to reuse the lid no matter how you cut it?

not that I have read on here.
look on craigslist for a 22.5 weber kettle. you get the lid, charcoal grate and cooking grate(if it's in good shape) all for one price. I paid $25 for one and others have paid less or found free ones.
blackdog043 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2010, 09:50 PM   #4905
brotherbd
On the road to being a farker

Default Were did all the pics go?

Hey there again brothers in smoke,

I am really enjoying all the info and tips on this thread.

Up to page 150 of the UDS epic and have another question.

WHere did a whole lot of the pictures go?

Lots of folks have said they have posted a pic and there is a little square that says the picture is no longer available.

What's up? Looks like this thread was started three years ago but there's a lot of pictures missing.

Not fussing, just wondering about all the great pics I'm missing out on.

Thanks
brotherbd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker