MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:31 PM   #10831
cmsievers
Got rid of the matchlight.

Hello. I just made my first UDS. I can't wait to cook on this guy. I had the barrel sandblasted for $25. It was well worth the money. If I made another UDS, and I probably will, I would take more time making my air intake holes. They're not very tight, but they'll work. I'll probably have someone tack weld them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0259.jpg (75.7 KB, 841 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0260.jpg (46.9 KB, 835 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0261.jpg (53.9 KB, 837 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0262.jpg (43.5 KB, 835 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0263.jpg (44.7 KB, 834 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0265.jpg (82.9 KB, 838 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0267.jpg (44.6 KB, 838 views)
cmsievers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2013, 09:55 PM   #10832
Heisenberger
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm845 View Post
I have been wanting to put a hinge on my drum for a while now and finally got around to doing it. Was going to fab my own system up like a few I've seen on this forum but had to go KISS due to KIDS!!! Anyway, got a fence hinge from Home Depot and bolted & welded it up good. The tension on the hinge was great out the box and it will hold it up 90 degrees no problem. One hinge was plenty for the weight of the lid and pipe stack. Excuse the welds...never even had 1 lesson!!
Attachment 78893
It might not look straight but it seals up nice and tight.
Attachment 78892

It looks like you bought an open head drum. Did you find that the lit fit on well without the gasket. Mine seemed too large for the barrel so I couldn't hinge it but maybe mine was warped. Nice job and KISS well done
Heisenberger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2013, 02:12 PM   #10833
assassin26
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Default First UDS Build

Well after lurking for some time now and gathering ideas...I have completed my first UDS. It was some work but I am ready for her maiden test burn tomorrow. Hope the picture comes out..

assassin26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2013, 02:32 PM   #10834
Outboard Racer
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsievers View Post
Hello. I just made my first UDS. I can't wait to cook on this guy. I had the barrel sandblasted for $25. It was well worth the money. If I made another UDS, and I probably will, I would take more time making my air intake holes. They're not very tight, but they'll work. I'll probably have someone tack weld them.

Nice build on your smoker. I had problems with my intake holes not being real tight as well. I put a washer on the inside and outside of the pipe and that solved that. I like you exhaust cover I did the same thing on mine.
Outboard Racer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2013, 02:54 PM   #10835
cmsievers
Got rid of the matchlight.

Thanks Outboard. I thought about that, but I'm having trouble finding a big enough washer. Did you have to modify them at all or am I just looking in the wrong places (home depot, etc)?
cmsievers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2013, 03:14 PM   #10836
Outboard Racer
Knows what a fatty is.

Default washers

Not sure if you have an Orchard Supply Store thats where I found mine. Home Depot had some but would have had to drill out to bigger size.

I actually looked at my drum and seen I put on 2 on each side. If you cant find any let me know I have some extras I will give you

Todd
Outboard Racer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2013, 09:06 PM   #10837
sjm845
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberger View Post
It looks like you bought an open head drum. Did you find that the lit fit on well without the gasket. Mine seemed too large for the barrel so I couldn't hinge it but maybe mine was warped. Nice job and KISS well done
It fit great with the gasket removed--so much so that I never had to use the lock ring to seal it up. When I installed the hinge it got a bit off center with some high spots so I had to massage it with a mallet. Problem solved!
SLOATSBURG, NY
[URL="http://tellyouwhatbbq.com"]TELLYOUWHATBBQ.COM[/URL]
[URL="http://facebook.com/tellyouwhatbbq"]facebook.com/tellyouwhatbbq[/URL]
Twitter: [URL="http://twitter.com/tellyouwhatbbq"]@tellyouwhatbbq[/URL]
RUB IT...SMOKE IT...PULL IT!
sjm845 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-30-2013, 03:59 AM   #10838
BobBill
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm845 View Post
It fit great with the gasket removed--so much so that I never had to use the lock ring to seal it up. When I installed the hinge it got a bit off center with some high spots so I had to massage it with a mallet. Problem solved!

Why would the lock ring be needed? Lid should seal well enough, smoking or not, right?
BobBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2013, 08:28 PM   #10839
RustyPup
Got Wood.

Still reading the entire thread, and gathering parts. I'm up to page 300, and laughing at the folks complaining about having to read all 4500 posts so far. I tell you, it's a real eye-opener to watch the evolution of the UDS take place over the course of 6 years.

I gotta get on the ball and get a drum to burn before the burn permit expires.

Film at 11...

Old 05-02-2013, 09:01 PM   #10840
Knows what a fatty is.

Finally finished my UDS. Decided to just use a high heat clear coat instead of painting it. Added my favorite logo just to see what it would look like.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:49 AM   #10841
BobBill
Knows what a fatty is.

Refer to page 721, Salad Bowl top - Squatchin' re drips from rim edge.

Later finding, the moisture drips were not a big problem, so forget it. Mostly condensed vapor and little or no grease. Will see after a few more smokes.

Last edited by BobBill; 05-03-2013 at 08:48 AM..

Old 05-03-2013, 08:19 AM   #10842
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outboard Racer View Post
Nice build on your smoker. I had problems with my intake holes not being real tight as well. I put a washer on the inside and outside of the pipe and that solved that. I like you exhaust cover I did the same thing on mine.
Something else you can do it use RTV Caulk on both sides, just in case you don't have a tight fit.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:54 AM   #10843
BobBill
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJohn View Post
Something else you can do it use RTV Caulk on both sides, just in case you don't have a tight fit.
It fits tight, but a sort of metal to metal and all that moisture-filled smoke rising to top and some comes down inside surface...

Not a big fan of using gasket stuff etc, but will consider idea. Thanks.

I imagine the problem is not much different than when using Weber top that extends outside, unless their angle at edge traps the moisture.

That is why I mentioned it...seems the cost of the Salad bowl is about the same as if one installed the 6-inch inside metal ring to support a medium Weber top, if the top cost nothing...

Old 05-03-2013, 09:56 AM   #10844
Cherrywood
On the road to being a farker

After a lot of advice from Outnumbered and reading this thread until my eyes were bleeding, I figured it was time to get one built.

A good friend found me a barrel. cut out the lid, and welded up a coal basket for the promise of some free Q. The barrel was unlined and held antifreeze. We washed it out with a Hotsy power washer and detergent, then I burned it out.

I sanded the outside with a random orbit sander and got all the hardware on in a couple hours.

I looked for a couple weeks on CL and couldnt find a used Weber kettle for a decent price, so I grabbed a CharBroil kettle from Menards that was on sale for $38. I figured that was a decent price for a lid & grate. The lid didn't fit. Since I'm not a welder I got a little creative with a 6' stick of aluminum and a riveter.

It was painted by 10, seasoned by noon and cooking dinner by mid-afternoon.

And now for the first weekend PRON:

Cherrywood is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-03-2013, 11:17 AM   #10845
N2entropy
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Looks Great! Nice Bark on the brisket too! Man I'm hungry now.......

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker