Semi-Rural vending

Czarbecue

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I live 25 miles or so east of Atlanta, where cities of about 5-15k dot the highways. On the weekends I see many barbecue trailers vending next to a gas station or grocery parking lot. I asked my buddy at work and he said he’s absolutely sure that many of them do not have permits. Because he used to do it too. What’s up!?

Coming from the Dallas area I found it unbelievable people would take the risk to vend without the proper papers. Unheard of, actually. But I just moved from an upper class bedroom community so who knows... but this semi-rural living is full of surprises.

When I make the jump from family catering to vending, I’ll make sure to have everything. That’s just me though.

It definitely happens. I plan to have my stuff in order when I roll out, though.

There is a carveout in the ga regs that says that those who cook on-site don't have to have a commissary, but I doubt that applies to roadside setups.

Does your health department work on weekends? Most dont, and mobile vendors are even more difficult to inspect, because they are mobile. I think I read this spring that in Minneapolis that only about 25% of the 70+ food trucks are current with inspections, because of their varying hours and locations.

Don’t the police ask questions or only health inspectors do?

There is a carveout in the ga regs that says that those who cook on-site don't have to have a commissary, but I doubt that applies to roadside setups.

I hear Athens is a pain in the arse for food trucking so most people go rogue.

I would think police get involved only if theres a complaint to them.

This is actually an interesting question as I’ve noticed a new phenomenon of a lot of these so called ”underground barbecue” businesses popping up all around the country where people are now making the food at home and selling it to people they connect with online on Instagram. It’s all promoted via social media and these guys are killing it in Los Angeles, Texas, Virginia, etc. People literally show up at their homes and buy from them on the spot. 100% illegal BTW but very interesting nonetheless. And seems like the local health departments there rarely do anything about it...

This is actually an interesting question as I’ve noticed a new phenomenon of a lot of these so called ”underground barbecue” businesses popping up all around the country where people are now making the food at home and selling it to people they connect with online on Instagram. It’s all promoted via social media and these guys are killing it in Los Angeles, Texas, Virginia, etc. People literally show up at their homes and buy from them on the spot. 100% illegal BTW but very interesting nonetheless. And seems like the local health departments there rarely do anything about it...

I have no info to back this up but I think local health departments do not have any resources to track and go after these places unless it's just a ridiculous block party. Can you imagine them patrolling around town looking for illegal vendors like they do on Cops?

That was one of the unlucky ones even though he is back up and running. And then there is these:

https://www.dallasobserver.com/rest...th-cooks-up-popular-barbecue-pop-ups-10839056

https://la.eater.com/2017/2/17/14651980/trudys-underground-barbecue-brisket-studio-city-photos

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/20/...street-corner.html?smid=tw-nytmetro&smtyp=cur

Trudy’s has nearly 39,000 followers now on Instagram even though he is reportedly working on a big barbecue joint in east LA with some financial investors. Also, ZZQ Barbecue in Richmond, VA used to do this out of there home before finally getting busted (it was a funny story). And this is just some of the barbecue scene...many others doing this with burgers, Asian fusion foods, etc.

I agree that the local health departments probably don’t have time nor know about these but with all the online press they’re now getting I’m still surprised many aren’t getting shut down...would definitely take the cops getting involved if a neighborhood started getting too much disturbance like Czarbecue said. I guess I’m just shocked these guys do this without liability insurance (which they couldn’t get anyway since they’re operating illegally). I would think all it takes is one person to sue you???

Back