From The Beginning-ELP on Spotify 🔥🥃🔥

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Going back to the beginning. Offset cooker and me have a score to settle. I’m 0-1. Rematch. Wife is a genius. Able to read assembly instructions with cooker upside down and instructions sideways, and figured out best methods for planning & assembly. Oklahoma Joe Highlander is now on the patio on double secret probation. Cleaning and initial burnout yesterday. Installed an Oklahoma Joe fire coal box. Added a Oklahoma Joe gaskets (That may have been a waste)
After it ran many hours via fire box dumped a chimney into cooking chamber, added coals from firebox and smoked on. Guess it ran 5/6 hour coming to temp slowly and fading out slowly. Next is clean it out and oil the cooker,then start another fire. Have Two Fatty’s in the bull pen for traditional first smoke. Today (hopefully-may be tomorrow)
This burn I’ll use a bed of B&B Oak Lump. I don’t plan to do any of those 10-20 hour cooks I read about. No plans to put in meat and go to bed. Just a really cool chiminea that screams Texas BBQ, and can cook

Last edited:
That looks nice and clean. Is the Highlander a 16 inch or 20?

Haven't heard any ELP for a very long time.

I hear you 16. I have a pretty nice offset that I hardly ever use anymore. Its way bigger than I need (most of the time) and at this stage (old and tired) of my life an all night brisket cook is just punishment. Enjoy those shorter cooks or finish longer cooks on other equip. That way she'll get through probation without being kicked off the island.

Friend of mine ordered a Franklin Clone. It looks awesome. Wish he didn’t live 375 miles away

You sir are a Lucky Man! That thing is as sharp as a Knife-Edge. I would not Change a thing with how you put it Together. I know some times assembly can feel like Brain Salad Surgery but now you are ready for a real Hoedown! Although you were The Gambler in purchasing this unit it sure looks to be built like a Tank.

And the three photos you posted look like Pictures at an Exhibition.

Just Stay Close to Home and when the Apple Blossoms Bloom In The Windmills Of Your Mind I suggest doing a Trilogy of cooks and we will be Watching Over You! It's the Only Way. And be sure to keep us posted with your 2nd Impression and you 3rd Impression.

You sir are a Lucky Man! That thing is as sharp as a Knife-Edge. I would not Change a thing with how you put it Together. I know some times assembly can feel like Brain Salad Surgery but now you are ready for a real Hoedown! Although you were The Gambler in purchasing this unit it sure looks to be built like a Tank.

And the three photos you posted look like Pictures at an Exhibition.

Just Stay Close to Home and when the Apple Blossoms Bloom In The Windmills Of Your Mind I suggest doing a Trilogy of cooks and we will be Watching Over You! It's the Only Way. And be sure to keep us posted with your 2nd Impression and you 3rd Impression.

You've been drinking again, haven't you?

:biggrin1:

Two Nekkid Fattys. Shop vac’d cleaned everything, applied oil-lit lump and dropped one mini pecan log. Ran some errands, wiped overspray that was running exterior. Set a grease pan with shallow water. Added a Pecan mini log, and two Nekkid Fattys are in the cooker.

Let the christening begin

Last edited:
Ok Joe Highland not Highlander. Spell check has been aggressive lately

When I installed the basket in firebox the grates don’t fit. One recommendation is this setup inside the cook chamber. Worth it or wasted aluminum foil. Another recommendation is add an elbow to the exhaust inside cook chamber bringing it closer to grate. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Adams, cant help you with a stick burner, never used one, but that is an Excellent addition to the tribe, and the Bride deserves another pair for the assist! Fatties look Perfect and you had me at ELP!!
Bob sure make that point!

Looks great! That is a large opening into the smoke chamber. Do you have any sheet metal laying around to fashion a block off plate? I had to do this with my offset. You could maybe use bricks also?

Yes the baffle is important on a cooker like this. As for the extension on the exhaust, When I did so on my older Longhorn I realized it did change the draw. Some playing around taught me to make it work right and I would never want to run this smoker without.

Enjoy your new cooker.

Back