Jacquard

irishboy209

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Wanted to get some of the overall opinions on jacquard's? do you feel they make a difference or do you feel poking the holes allows the meat to dry out more?

With that being said has anybody ran a Jacquard on a brisket or pork butt to make it more tender by breaking down the tissue and also driving the rub deeper inside the meat?

I have one and use it on tough cuts of meat that are cooked quickly. For instance, I use it on London Broil. I think it improves that particular cut for sure and it does not seem to dry it out at all in that use.

I use mine all the time on chicken, venison backstrap, nilgai steaks and anything else that could use some tenderizing.

I don't know that it would make a difference in long slow cooked meats. Time and energy are the keys to making the tougher meats tender. Could always try and see if you notice a difference.

I've used one on brisket. One other thought that I was taught in one of the bbq classes I took was that you put a layer of rub on the meat and then use the jaccard on it to drive some of the rub down into the meat and then put another layer on top of that.

Poking holes in a raw meat product isn't generally going to dry it out.

Using tricks to tenderize brisket or pork butt simply means a person lacks in cooking prowess...anyone can learn to tenderize these meats simply by learning to cook them.

I have one but I only use it on tough beef usually sometimes boneless skinless chicken breasts. I think they have their purposes and wouldn't tell someone not to grab one. More tools you have right?

Wanted to get some of the overall opinions on jacquard's? do you feel they make a difference or do you feel poking the holes allows the meat to dry out more?

With that being said has anybody ran a Jacquard on a brisket or pork butt to make it more tender by breaking down the tissue and also driving the rub deeper inside the meat?

I've never used it on large cuts of meat, but as CrabbyAppleton mentioned: it does work great on London Broil when making steak quesadillas or tacos in small batches without overcooking the beef. I find the knifing allows the marinade to penetrate a bit deeper than normal, adding a bit more flavor. No for larger cuts, I simply wrap and hold the meats over a few hours to allow the collagen to breakdown. The result is always tender juicy meat.

How do you wash those prickly suckers?

A good jaccard unit seals the area around the blades wiping them clean as the retract. A wash and bath in soapy water, rinse, and then sanitize before putting away.

I have one but do not like the way it disfigures the meat. It squashes and flattens out a sirloin steak and you can try to reform it but it just is ugly.
What works better is two forks stabbing alternately left, right, left, right.
Ed

Poking holes in a raw meat product isn't generally going to dry it out.

Using tricks to tenderize brisket or pork butt simply means a person lacks in cooking prowess...anyone can learn to tenderize these meats simply by learning to cook them.
Two different thought processes go in my mind that are not necessarily on anybody's skill level to make a tender piece of meat. My main purpose of thinking of the Jacquard is to drive the season is deeper in the meat for more flavor and a different profile

The other thought that comes in my head is if you could break down that meat to be tender at a sooner internal temperature that is just that much more moisture that would be left in the meat

Hey brisket that is tender at 180° will retain more juice than a brisket at 205 imo assuming that all the collagen and connective tissue are perfectly cooked at that point of time. Kind of like the same principle of how a sous vide works but that's just my thoughts on it

I always thought there was an issue with these taking bacteria from the surface of the steak to the interior of the steak where it might not get hot enough to kill it.

Also...if you're concerned about food safety, as so many in this group are, you need to keep in mind that time & temp are at play if you choose to use a jacquard.

Normally you aren't worried about the internal temp during a long/slow cook...there is no bacteria in there & it's a sterile environment. You simply have to be worried about bringing the exterior, where the bacteria sits, past 165 in a timely manner.

But a jacquard pushes the bacteria that would normally just sit on the surface into the meat. The moment the meat is punctured, and those needles go inside, you now have bacteria inside that will be working to make you sick. At that point, the internal temperature is a concern. You will need to get the IT up to 165 within four hours or less in order to stay food safe.

This may not be of a concern for you, and if it's not, simply disregard. But for those that do pay attention to these things, or those that are in this commercially, it's good information that should be thought of.

Two different thought processes go in my mind that are not necessarily on anybody's skill level to make a tender piece of meat. My main purpose of thinking of the Jacquard is to drive the season is deeper in the meat for more flavor and a different profile

The other thought that comes in my head is if you could break down that meat to be tender at a sooner internal temperature that is just that much more moisture that would be left in the meat

Hey brisket that is tender at 180° will retain more juice than a brisket at 205 imo assuming that all the collagen and connective tissue are perfectly cooked at that point of time. Kind of like the same principle of how a sous vide works but that's just my thoughts on it

Now someone else can try this experiment...but I can "guarantee" you that a 180 brisket will not be as moist as a properly, cooked until tender (insert some random temperature here...) brisket.

Water retention is not was makes a brisket moist. The breakdown of collagen & rendering of intramuscular & intermuscular fat does that...and none of that happens at 180...at least not on the smoker. You can sous vide and get the proper breakdown, but you have time on your side with that application.

One thing a lot of people don't realize or just don't notice is Costco blade tenderizes all of their steaks. I usually pass on their pre-cut meats for this reason.

One thing a lot of people don't realize or just don't notice is Costco blade tenderizes all of their steaks. I usually pass on their pre-cut meats for this reason.

I do notice that they also recommend because of that purpose you cook beef to 165 because a lot of times when you're trying to cook something to medium rare you're forcing those pathogens into the center of the meat I don't worry about it with higher temperature internally cooks and I've never had an issue with getting sick off of any of Costco's but if you're worried about it the possibility is greater

Now someone else can try this experiment...but I can "guarantee" you that a 180 brisket will not be as moist as a properly, cooked until tender (insert some random temperature here...) brisket.

Water retention is not was makes a brisket moist. The breakdown of collagen & rendering of intramuscular & intermuscular fat does that...and none of that happens at 180...at least not on the smoker. You can sous vide and get the proper breakdown, but you have time on your side with that application.

I was thinking since collagen and fat start rendering much before 180 and all the way up to the 200 area that you would still get some rendering I know I just did a experiment with country style ribs pulling them off at all different temperatures and the most flavorful with the most moisture bite was between 185 and 190 after 190 is started to dimish so I'm figuring the same would be with other large cuts?

I understand water is not what gives that moisture feel because the meat is actually quite dried out is the collagen that gives us that mouth fill but I would have to still say moisture still plays a part hence why people wrap. So I could be wrong obviously many have a lot more experience than me especially on this site but that's just my thought processes?

That country style rib test I did was pretty interesting and taught me a lot I started pulling them at 170 and 10° after that all the way up to 205

they talk about different temperatures or what's happening and he also talks about when collagen starts breaking down and when fat starts rendering at what temperatures here which basically says 160-205
https://amazingribs.com/technique-and-science/cooking-science/basic-meat-science

My Momma made Killer chicken fried steak.I remember her using an empty coke bottle to tenderize it.Not sure what cut of meat she used but it would melt in your mouth.That is my memory.Biscuits,gravy and that fried steak was a real treat!

I bought a no name tenderizer and it takes alot of force which seems to smash the meat . Does the jaccard do the same?

Back