Finally Ordered an Offset

ther00k

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Finally Ordered my offset smoker. I wound up going with the TMG Copperhead Traditional Flow. For the money I think you get a lot for a good price. I customized a couple things but for the most part I didn't have to do much.

The guys at TMG are TOP notch to deal with and so far its been excellent customer service.

Now for the 16-18 week wait.

In the mean time, I would like to go ahead a get some wood. All my other smokers just use chunks so I need to order some splits. How much do you guys keep on hand? I was thinking about ordering the Woodhaven rack between 4 and 8 foot long.

Cant help you on the wood I only buy enough for 4-5 cooks at a time as i live like 5 miles from my wood monger...but where are these guys out of? found their website but no location info.

Cant help you on the wood I only buy enough for 4-5 cooks at a time as i live like 5 miles from my wood monger...but where are these guys out of? found their website but no location info.

They are out of Knoxville, TN. Check out their facebook page too, they are really active on social media. I also think they have a couple Youtube videos as well.

Congrats on the pit! I typically buy a pickup truck load at a time. I don’t want to make a bunch of trips buying wood, and I definitely don’t want to have wood that isn’t properly seasoned. Buying more and keeping it on hand in a rack allow for more control, and for spontaneity when you want it. Good Luck!

I bought a Shirley 24x36 last year. While I waited for delivery, I built a woodshed. Started with a pickup load of Oak splits. Refilling with Oak being cut by neighbors to season for the next year or so.

Attachments

• E4876815-26BC-45A5-B275-2E24B087B89B.jpg
    E4876815-26BC-45A5-B275-2E24B087B89B.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 254
  • B0DB9290-C36D-423F-9459-91C7996CEB61.jpg
    B0DB9290-C36D-423F-9459-91C7996CEB61.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 255
Congrats on the new smoker. I just recently watched some of the TMG videos they look really nice for the money. I just picked up my first offset as well. I had Bell Fabrication build a 24x48 traditional flow. There isn't a lot of cooking wood that grows naturally in my area. I found a firewood business that brings in different types of smoke wood and was able to pick up a quarter cord of pecan to get started. I have a short bed F150 and that filled the bed up to the top. That's 32 cubic feet I'm guessing a long brisket type cook I would use close to a cubic foot? Maybe a little less so I think this is a good amount to get started with since I'll probably only use the offset a couple of times a month at the most.

I usually keep a cord or so of Almond on hand, but I also use it in the fireplace. I have some racks (The Woodhaven), but I really like cdhbrads’s homemade woodshed. If I built one myself, I think I’d build it “right side up” though. :)

I went the cheap route for a rack. Google cinder block firewood rack and you'll see my set up. Hard to beat for less than $25. As far as the wood goes I would try to find wood that is already cut into small splits. I couldn't and my new hobby as a lumberjack is getting tiring.

I'm a bit new to this also, as I just got my offset a couple months ago. It's hard to buy less than a rick. Oak is plentiful here , so I bought a rick of Oak and I pickup a bag of Hickory at a local store as needed to add for flavor.

Congrats! I like the look of their cookers for sure! I use this rack and between cooking and camp fires, it will last a year or so. This is all white oak and hickory

a9fa89941b71c3c749f8854e463004af.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Also, couple of cinder blocks and 2 4x4’s
and a couple of 2x4’s and this rack is great. Much better than using 2x4’s and metal end pieces for a rack. This holds more, is more stable and gets the woods off the ground more for air circulation. Wish I would of done this earlier:)

TMG’s are starting to make a name for themselves. Nice looking pits. Post some pics of yours when you get a chance.

Last edited:
Sorry about that.....loaded pics from my IPad and they are fine there. Not sure what happened.

Here are better pics. Tried to Edit the original post above, but couldn't find an "Edit" button for it.

Attachments

• Woodshed 3-empty.jpg
    Woodshed 3-empty.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 145
  • Woodshed 2-full.jpg
    Woodshed 2-full.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
I bought a Shirley 24x36 last year. While I waited for delivery, I built a woodshed. Started with a pickup load of Oak splits. Refilling with Oak being cut by neighbors to season for the next year or so.

I like this...do you happen to have the specs on it?

I like this...do you happen to have the specs on it?

I found basic plans online and modified to fit what I wanted.
All the framing is 2x6 PT. Floor is leftover Trex decking from a dock we installed in 2019. The sides and decking for the roof is all 5/4 PT Decking...cheaper than 1x6 PT when I built it. All fasteners are SS Screws, either 3" or 15/8", except the galvanized screws for the Tin Roof.

The frame is basically 7'6" W x 3' deep. There are two floor joists equally spaced within the frame held on joist hanger. Front is approx 4' tall and slope is at about 15 degrees to approx 3' at the rear. I "think" there were 3 rafters for the ceiling. Decking for the Roof is also the 5x4 decking with about 1/4" spacing....overkill, but i had the materials.

Maybe a dumb question, but when you have a wood pile sitting out like that and it rains on it, does it dry out quickly? Or do you need to keep it shelters from the rain.

Maybe a dumb question, but when you have a wood pile sitting out like that and it rains on it, does it dry out quickly? Or do you need to keep it shelters from the rain.

Works fine for me. Wood doesn’t soak up moisture like we think. Go soak an oak split in water for 24 hours and cut it open and see how much is in there:). Now if it’s in water for a month straight that might be different or if You are in the NW...I’m in Virginia with all 4 seasons and my wood is usually 10-20% moisture...at the end of the year what I have left is a little on the dry side. This last batch is about 20-25% as my wood guy was out of the fully seasoned stuff...

Back