Pellet Envy Class - Great!

vr6Cop

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I took the Pellet Envy class this weekend in Lebanon, TN at the old site of Amazin' Blazin. Rod & Sheri are really nice people. Both are very knowledgeable and straightforward, and seemed to enjoy themselves. Their team system apparently works well for them. :cool:

It was really cool in that Rod cooked 2 contests in real time - one with the FEC and one on a Jambo. Everything was done on the same time table that the Grays use at comps, and we were given explicit instructions for preparing, seasoning, cooking and turn-ins. We got to sample the different turn-ins to see the difference in taste, texture, etc.

I highly recommend it to anyone who is competing, considering jumping into the ring, or even if you just want to cook better Q for your friends and family, like me. I may never compete, but if I do, I have a very good base to start from. :thumb:

sounds like you had a blast.

Assuming the each category meat was prepped the same way (rubs, sauce etc).. in your opinion, did you prefer the finished product off the Jambo or FEC or did it vary by the meat ?

sounds like you had a blast.

Assuming the each category meat was prepped the same way (rubs, sauce etc).. in your opinion, did you prefer the finished product off the Jambo or FEC or did it vary by the meat ?

Great question Vinny, I am curious as well on the answer here.

vr6Cop,

Please tell us what your own verdict is on the preferred product?

Jambo?

FEC?

:tumbleweed:

Bulverde

Each category was prepared the same, with a little difference in placement and time due to temps.

ALL of it was very good, and what I will strive for when I cook from now on.

I preferred the Jambo meat on most cuts, but I preferred the FEC burnt ends. I also preferred the FEC ribs. But that is just my opinion.

It's awesome that Rod & Sheri can put this product out on a consistent basis week after week, whether they are cooking on the Geer pit or the FEC. It just proves that it is the cook, not the equipment. :thumb:

Glad to hear that you enjoyed it.

Cooking on two different pits, for all four categories, at the same time is pretty impressive. I might need to take the class again, to learn what Rod is doing on the Jambo.

I was at the class also. Rod makes it look very easy! Great class. I preferred most of the items smoked on the Geer pit also. All the meats were very good for sure but the Jambo puts out some awesome bbq IMHO.
Rod and Sheri were top notch :thumb:

Back