MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:40 PM   #1
Merlinspop
Got Wood.

Default I see no Pickles...

...on the recipe site, that is.

Does anyone have a recipe for sour dill pickles? I'm talking 'can't keep your eyes open' sour, not wimpy sour like anything I can find commercially.

When I was little back in '71, my mom took my sister and me to Germany to visit relatives. I remember getting these ginormous pickles from vendors out of barrels that were super sour and I haven't found any like them since. Keep in mind I was 6 back then, but these things were like holding a beer can in my now grown up hand. They served them with spoons that you used to dig out the center before you crunched your way through the walls.

Anyone seen any like this (I don't think I'm just making this up, but I've killed or severely wounded many a brain cell in the interim) or have a recipe for em?

Thanks!

Old 04-16-2010, 01:45 PM   #2
expatpig
is One Chatty Farker

You may be thinking of "gherkins" they are similar to cucumbers, being in the same family. They are pickled and depending on what region of Germany you are in can have different tastes. I was stationed in Germany in the early seventies and attended the annual "Gherkinfest" in Biblis several times. Ahhh,the good old days. If I remember correctly, they were brined in wooden barells packed with grape leaves.
[B][COLOR=red]Napoleon Apollo[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#ff0000][B]GOSM[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue][B][I]CSBBQA, KCBS, NOBS(Northern Ontario Barbecue Society)Professional Barbecue Team. USAJFKCENMA.[/I][/B][/COLOR]
expatpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2010, 01:58 PM   #3
Merlinspop
Got Wood.

I thought gherkins are finger size. These were closer to arm size.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:10 PM   #4
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Sounds like fermented pickles, can be a lot of fun. Be sure to use clean equipment and stay safe. Don't be too scared to try it though, this doesn't require a lab or anything.

Get yourself a pickling crock, or better yet a Harsch crock, or making something like one of these (super simple to make) http://www.simply-natural.biz/Picklemeister.php I recommend the Harsch Crock, and you will earn your money back by making your own pickles, sauerkruat, kimchi, etc. Far better than anything you can buy at the store.

3 to 4 lbs cucumbers (use good cucumbers with no bruises/blemishes or other problems)
1 gallon Distilled Water (very important, you want the microbes that occur on the skin of the cucumbers to ferment the pickles, tap water will kill it with the chlorine)
3/4 cup Sea Salt
3 to 4 heads of fresh Dill
2 to 3 bulbs of garlic, cloves separated and peeled
handful fresh grape, cherry, oak or horseradish leaves (optional)
a few peppercorns

Clean cucumbers being careful not to bruise them. Dissolve sea salt in distilled water. Into a clean crock, place garlic, dill, leaves and peppercorns. Place cucumbers in the crock. Pour brine over the cucumbers making sure they stay submerged (by using method used for your crock) and cover/seal to keep out any bugs. Store in a cool place. Check the crock every day and skim any mold that appears on the surface. Rinse the plate/weight covering the cukes, cover again and let continue to get happy. After a week you should ahve noticed the pickles have fermented. Taste one every day or two and continue fermenting to desired level of sourness is reached. Four weeks is about the maximum to let them go. Move to the fridge to slow fermentation and enjoy, or can them and save them for later. When you can though, you will put them in a vinegar bath, which will change the flavor from the natural acid bath the pickles produced on their own.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2010, 05:00 PM   #5
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

Not gherkins. As stated they are small. I remember barrels in the grocery store that had pickles to die for. Am still lookin and find them rarely. Found a flea market that sells some on a stick, better than ice cream.

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2010, 05:58 PM   #6
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Try Biagabyte's recipe, he is describing what you are looking for, fermented dill pickles. The barrel is a holdover from older times when salted vegetables and meats were stored in barrels yada yada yada...you will get the sour dills you are looking for.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2010, 10:19 PM   #7
BigdogEMT
Knows what a fatty is.

Chech with someone in Germany! There might some of those same pickles left in those barrels! LOL
Terry
BigdogEMT is offline   Reply With Quote