MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:07 PM   #1
NoviceBBQmovinUp
Knows what a fatty is.

Default question about foiling

My friend and i decided to each build a UDS. He found a drum much faster then i did so he is finished building and is smoking a butt today....

Anyways i have a quick question via my buddy, his internet is down so he cant look it up on the brethern and i am new to smoking so i dont want to try and answer from what i have read here and tell him something wrong.

his drum is running 225-235 or so. He has a maveric thermometer and he was wondering at what temp he should pull the meat off and foil it, and then how much longer he should leave it on the smoker after he foils.

I told him i just pull the meat off at 195 foil and throw it in a cooler, but i dont know much...however he said that he remembers reading that its better to foil earlier.

thanks
NoviceBBQmovinUp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2010, 12:12 PM   #2
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

You can do it that way or you can wrap it in a double layer of foil at 160* to 165* and put it back on the drum. Both ways work, but to test for doneness try to wiggle the bone rather than going by temp. I hope this helps.
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-12-2010, 12:38 PM   #3
jetfxr27
is one Smokin' Farker

Foil to control bark color and flavor.
People who foil do this about 160*
I run a mild pit, so I don't foil at all. I pull my butt when it feels right. Normally this is around 190-210*

I typically put my butt on and dont open the lid for 11 hours or so. I can poke and feel from my exhaust vent with my 15" thermmeter or a wooden shish kabob, skewer. Whichever is handy at the time.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:35 PM   #4
BRBBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfxr27 View Post
Foil to control bark color and flavor.
People who foil do this about 160*
I run a mild pit, so I don't foil at all. I pull my butt when it feels right. Normally this is around 190-210*

I typically put my butt on and dont open the lid for 11 hours or so. I can poke and feel from my exhaust vent with my 15" thermmeter or a wooden shish kabob, skewer. Whichever is handy at the time.
Ditto!
BRBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2010, 04:27 PM   #5
jeffboyette
Full Fledged Farker

If you can keep in consistant, and not fight the fire IE: clean blue smoke at 225 throughout the cook, I would suggest not foiling till you pull it off. Foil it and let it rest. If you fight the fire, and keep having to add extra wood or coal to the fire you make more white smoke (bad creosote) wrapping it will salvage your investment.

If your a techno geek and want the thermometer, there is no need to even put it in the meat until 5-6 hours in. And i would only do that if your going to foil it at the stall.

If your going to foil it while you smoke, let the meat tell you when. It may stall 158-170 depending on the fat content i guess. When it stalls there for an hour wrap it.

Just remember if your wrapping it, it is sealing it, and braising it. This ruins the bark and changes texture of final product. Also prevents any further smoke from entering the meat. You might as well STICK IT IN THE OVEN on 225 because it has perfectly consistant even heat and doesnt require precious wood.

As far as what temp. Just pull it when its done. The bone should twist out with slight resistance,

A probe/knife, should slide in like it does a loaf of bread. Buy a .99 cent loaf of bread and stick a probe through the end of it. Get a feel for it.
jeffboyette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2010, 04:42 PM   #6
RichardF
is One Chatty Farker

yep - follow the KISS rule an you will do fine. I'd stick with what you told your friend and not let anyone hear cloud your mind with the evils of foiling during the cook

Live every week like it's shark week
RichardF is offline   Reply With Quote