MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:25 PM   #31
thillin
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by early mornin' smokin' View Post
General cleanliness is a bigger factor, are all your rub containers sanitized, handles of cookers, knives, tongs. Gloved hand or not, you can contaminate any of these items.
I put rubber gloves on the rub bottles and wear gloves. If I'm alone, my right gloved hand does not touch raw meat when seasoning. Only the gloved rub bottles. Slows me down, but I'd rather be safe. When done all gloves removed and Clorox wipe all rub containers.

Everything gets rewashed at home and then loaded back in the trailer. We wash well at comps, but the dishwasher gives me a little more confidence that everything is cleaned well.
Mini BGE-adopted 1/31/08 CL Score
Traeger 075-adopted 12/3/11 CL Score
Weber 1 touch CL Score
Weber Spirit 500 CL Score
Weber Smokey Joe Silver CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty
thillin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2010, 04:07 PM   #32
smoke-n-my-i's
is One Chatty Farker

Yes, I use gloves from start to finish. Working in health care (hospital) is almost demanding to wash and wear gloves. I am so use to it, that it comes second nature.

I agree, the problem is that some people just don't understand that clean hands to start with before putting on gloves is #1. Why put gloves on with dirty hands?

When you touch or move something other than the meat/food, change gloves. It only takes a few seconds.

When you change from one meat to another, clean the work area, and utensils, wash hands, and new gloves.

I guess I am more into it than most, as I am allergic to pork, and if I get the "juice" on my finger/fingers and get it to my mouth.... it is all over. So, yes, I USE gloves, soap, and water.

It is mostly common sense. Wash, dry, glove up, and change as needed.

It is a misconception that if you have gloves on you are sanitary. Well, it is not so. You have to be clean to start with. So, use common sense, and you will be fine. If in doubt, wash again, and put on new gloves.

And now for my next question. Just how clean are those gloves you pull out of that box. It has been open to the open air, in the trailer, with doors open to the free air, dust and dirt in the air.... think again. They are most likely just as dirty..... why not take a second and "wash" them off after putting them on. It only takes a few seconds to just rinse them off if nothing else.

Ok, I am going to my corner now.... GLOVE UP
2 UGLY drum smokers
Weber 22 1/2" & 18 1/2" Kettle
Super fast RED Thermapen
Screaming fast ORANGE Thermapen
KCBS Certified Table Captain
KCBS Certified Judge
smoke-n-my-i's is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2010, 04:09 PM   #33
smoke it if ya got it
Full Fledged Farker

We always use gloves cuts down on the hand washing. I noticed that too and was a bit put off especially the finger licking!

[COLOR=red]Rub it till it smokes![/COLOR]

Last edited by smoke it if ya got it; 02-04-2010 at 04:10 PM.. Reason: forgot something
smoke it if ya got it is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2010, 04:35 PM   #34
River City Smokehouse
is One Chatty Farker

We always gloves up when we bbq. Gloves are cheap compared to a dr.
Traeger Texas BBQ 075
UDS "Cool Hand Luke"
3 Weber Kettles and a Yellow Thermapen
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge #8425
River City Smokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2010, 07:31 PM   #35
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

Wash, use a hand sanitizer (hugh bottles available from Sams), glove up and change ofter using the above procedure.

HD requires any handling of ready to eat product must follow the above procedure.

Gloves by the case are availble at Restaurant Deport and by the two box at Sams in small, medium, large and extra large.

Cheap insurance.
Smoke'n Ice is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2010, 11:27 PM   #36
beardjp
On the road to being a farker

I to have worked in the medical field for 25+ years. Gloves do not mean clean. Clean is a proces and system. You start with a clean area, if you wear gloves a hand wash is still needed when you change gloves. With all the flu information out lately I would have thought everyone would pick-up a little more on the hand washing routine. The number one thing to do to stop any transmission of anything is to WASH YOUR HANDS!!!

Old 02-05-2010, 03:32 PM   #37
watertowerbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBarry View Post
As for comps, I think the organizers/staff should review basic guidelines at inspection (extra 2 mins), maybe pass out a sheet of basics and explain that it's a warning and possible DQ (??) if gloves are not used and changed often and hand washing is not done right and often during the comp.
This sounds good, but to enforce would take a lot of people and be difficult. You would need as many TRAINED volunteers as you have teams. I hear what you are saying but it doesn't sound realistic given how most comps operate.
Previous: BWS Competitor (sold 2012), WSM - 18.5" (2009, sold 2011), WSM - 18.5" (2004, sold 2010)
Superfast Orange Thermopen, Yellow MK4, Fireboard, Railroad Detective
watertowerbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2010, 06:03 PM   #38
thenewguy
Full Fledged Farker

So should a guy say something when they see a "competitor" use the restroom and not wash their hands too? Where does the madness stop?
thenewguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2010, 11:44 AM   #39
lunchlady
is one Smokin' Farker

my .02...
I don't think it's madness... it's up to you whether or not you want to say something... either to that person or to a rep.
FACT : Every competitor is going to have to use the facilities at some point during a competition. Real bathroom or porta-pottie.
Personally, I make it a point to BRING sanitizer with me, whenever I head that way.
Policing these rules may border on the impossible, but at least it is in there.

Personally, I would rather say something than see anyone get sick, even at the risk of being told to shut up or mind my own business or hear later that I am a raving bitch. Too many of us actually know of teams that do not have the cleanest/safest practices. Maybe if they realize that others are paying attention, they would change.
Judges need to feel confident that they aren't going to get sick, otherwise, as others have said, they just won't judge anymore. If that happens, there goes our favorite pasttime.
[URL="http://www.nebs.org"][I][FONT=Century Gothic]www.nebs.org[/FONT][/I][/URL]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]2 Backwoods Partys [/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]WSM, 2 Weber kettles, Weber Performer[/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]Large BGE[/FONT][/I]
lunchlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2010, 04:35 PM   #40
DCFIREMANN
On the road to being a farker

We always wear them. I guess it is a habit from work. It is very rare to see any one on the team near any meat with out them on.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
DCFIREMANN is offline   Reply With Quote