fresh vs frozen turkey

tulsatkd

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
My annual turkey smoke is coming up and I happened to accquire 2 turkey. One is a 14 pound BB and the other is a 12 pound Fresh turkey.

There has been a lot of hype on how much better fresh turkey is than it's frozen counterparts. I was hoping to get everyone else's opinion on this topic. And if there is anything different that I would have to do using a fresh bird. ( i.e cook time, does it take in smoke faster or slower than frozen birds). Thanks for the help. I'm only feeding 7 people and 2 kids so I should have plenty bird for everyone.

Nothing you need to do differently.

The difference is that when we freeze meat, we are damaging the cell walls of the muscle fibers. This is why when you thaw frozen meat, you'll often see moisture pool up under it. This leaves less moisture in the product after it is cooked. In theory, that's why fresh is always better.

I bought a frozen turkey for the 1st time this year. Now a days when you buy a "fresh turkey" it can be frozen to 26*. I have had it with finding my turkey still half frozen when I go to cook it.

I don't care one way or the other, except for the time it takes to thaw out. What matters more to me is trying to find birds that are NOT "enhanced with solution". I prefer to brine poultry myself - not pay a buck a pound for someone else to shoot it full of water :mad:.

The main difference between the 2 is that frozen turkeys have a saline solution injected. Yes all of them. Fresh turkeys are non injected like most fresh chickens. Originally the fresh turkeys were all natural but that has now changed to just fresh.

The main difference between the 2 is that frozen turkeys have a saline solution injected. Yes all of them. Fresh turkeys are non injected like most fresh chickens. Originally the fresh turkeys were all natural but that has now changed to just fresh.

What he said. At many grocery stores, the fresh turkeys aren't "pre-injected" with the crap they inject in frozen turkeys. Worth the extra few bucks IMO.
Most frozen turkeys are also "loss leaders" for most grocery stores around Thanksgiving, meaning they sell them at below cost because they know they will make up for it when you buy everything else. They usually aren't as aggressive on the discounts on fresh, so you are going to pay even more for the fresh compared to frozen. Still worth the extra few bucks.

thanks for the info guys..I can wait for thursday. I'll be sure to post some pron when I am done.

Back