MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-04-2009, 03:16 PM   #1
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Default The honey smoked turkey breast project: Pron inside

I was at the grocery store with the wifey, and wondered aloud if it would just be better to smoke my own turkey breasts and freeze the meat for sammiches instead of buying the usual crap. So Operation HSTBS (Honey Smoked Turkey Breast for Sammiches) was hatched. I've only smoked whole turkeys on my stick burner, so this will all be new for me on the WSM.

Mission: Turn these two dry, frozen hunks of turkey breasts that have probably been sitting in the freezer section for six months into moist, sweet, smokey turkey meat.

The Brine: I usually go with 1 cup brown sugar and 1 cup kosher salt per gallon for whole turkeys. For this mission I decided to drop the salt to 3/4 cup kosher salt, and use 1 cup of honey instead of brown sugar per gallon. I have never used honey in a brine, and luckily I googled a bit and discovered that you aren't supposed to heat honey over 160 degrees or it breaks down. I only heated my starter water to 150 degrees, then added the salt and honey (on a side note, honey is sold by weight, not by volume, so you need to buy 24 oz of honey for 2 cups, not 16 oz). Added this to the rest of the water for a total of 2 gallons and stored it in the fridge to bring the temp down before I added the breasts later that night. I didn't add any other flavorings because like most crap frozen turkeys, this has been injected with more crap, and I don't know how it will interact with any more flavorings.

The Soak: Removed the skin from the breasts and added the breasts to the brine the night before the smoke. I'm not going to bother raising the heat for a crispy skin during the smoke, so I just removed the skin to take it out of the equation. I'm going for sammich meat here. Total soak time around 12 hours.

The Rub: Used my every day rub that I put on pretty much anything. I call this my "Kitchen Sink" rub because it has everything in it. It's a slight deviation from Paul Kirk's "Master Class BBQ Rub": 1 cup sugar, 1/4 cup seasoned salt, 1/4 cup garlic salt, 1/4 cup celery salt, 1/4 cup onion salt, 1/2 cup paprika, 1/4 cup chili powder, 2 TBSP black pepper, 1 TBSP lemon pepper, 2 tsp rubbed sage, 1 tsp dry mustard, 1 tsp thyme, 1 tsp cayenne. I mix it all in a gallon freezer bag and store it in the freezer when not in use. Brushed the breasts with a little EVOO before applying the rub.

The WSM Fuel: Using Publix Greenwise lump charcoal for fuel, and Texas Smoke apple chunks for smoke. Publix is a grocery brand based out of Florida so you mainly see them in the Southeast. I've used their lump charcoal once before and it runs a little hot, but is clean. Using standard Minion method. The heavy white smoke was replaced by perty blue smoke soon after everything was loaded up and locked down.

My Fuel: Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Ale, 12 ounces of pure 9.6% alcohol goodness!

Perty blue smoke. Kept temps around 240 to 250 on the top grate since the bottom grate runs a little cooler.

About 90 min in, internal temp around 130. Spritzed with a little EVOO. Next time I know when I do two breasts is that I should offset them a bit on the grate. The top turkey is dripping on the bottom turkey and smearing the rub. Maverick Redi-check wireless temperature monitor in use on top grate and in the breast.

Pulled at 160 degrees and resting for 30 minutes.

The final bounty. Wifey keeps grabbing bites every time she walks by, so I know she likes it. I can taste the sweetness from the honey, plus the salt from the brine. Nice smokey flavor. Better than anything I've bought at the store.

Bonus shot number 1: Azaleas are in bloom in the backyard, must be time for the Masters golf
tournament soon!

Bonus shot number 2: More azaleas.

OK I'm done, I swear.
"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead."

Last edited by Saiko; 04-04-2009 at 06:29 PM..
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 04-04-2009, 03:22 PM   #2
sfbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

You can have some awsome sammies while watching the Masters!!
Nice.
'08 Weber Genesis Gasser
SJG Tamale Pot Mini Smoker (SJG was a rescue)
and a Pyro FIL
sfbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2009, 03:53 PM   #3
aquablue22
Babbling Farker

Very nice post, the turkey looks great, I'd like to have a sammie from that!, I love Azeleas, right now in Northern Florida it is a sea of color from them! Nice Pictures!
2 - 18.5 Weber Kettle
1 - WSM Mini

I live in fear that my Wife will sell all my "TOYS" when I die for WHAT I told her I paid for them!!
aquablue22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2009, 04:05 PM   #4
71-South
is One Chatty Farker

Those look great! I may have to pick one up tonight and do the same thing tomorrow. A man's got to have lunch.

Yoder YS640 / UDS / Mini WSM
---
Hackers -n- Hogs Competition BBQ Team
Harrisonville/Lee's Summit, Missouri
Grip it. Rip it. Let the big hog eat!
71-South is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2009, 04:14 PM   #5
wheels61
Full Fledged Farker

Man that looks great. i just bought two at $1.29 per pound. as soon as i saw those azaleas i thought its almost Masters time. we used to live in south carolina and was always my favorite time of the year.
Pit Boss by American Barbecue Systems w Digi Q
All Star by American Barbecue Systems
Weber
Cowboy Campfire Grill
Char-Griller Duo
wheels61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2009, 04:34 PM   #6
BigAl
is Blowin Smoke!

Glad you'r back, great pron and descriptions!
O yea, two pairs of great looking boooobs! I am starving here now!

You can whip our Cream but you can't beat our SPAM.:clap:
[URL="http://www.AllenWilmer.com"]
[/URL]
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2009, 04:45 PM   #7
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

That looks magnificent. I like the dry rub directly on the meat, I'm not a turkey skin eater either. I'm jealous of that backyard shot. It's been snowing for two days here. I have about 6" of fresh stuff on the ground and more to come tomorrow.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2009, 05:01 PM   #8
thirdeye

Say, you better get in this weeks "dry rubbed ____" throwdown.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2009, 06:22 PM   #9
DaveT
Full Fledged Farker

That looks like it is going to be some nice sammies. Thanks for sharing.
DCS Gasser
DaveT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2009, 07:21 PM   #10
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Thanks for the post. Those are not only very nice, they are inspirational. I'm gonna look for some breasts for my WSM in the near future.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2009, 07:29 PM   #11
dbeast420
Full Fledged Farker

Couple of nice looking breasts ya got there.......

Some whole wheat bread,a little Miracle Whip and a slice of some good cheese and it's golden

It's always darkest before the dawn.
So,if you're going to steal your neighbors smoker,that's the time to do it [URL="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v614/dbeast420/CHAD.jpg"]
[/URL]
dbeast420 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2009, 07:43 PM   #12
big brother smoke

Next year I am sticking up on turkey boobs. Your boobs look wonderful!