Smoked Dove, Venison and Catfish

cowgirl

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I had the chance to smoke some of the dove I've been hunting this week.
Added some catfish I caught last time camping and some of the little buck I got last fall.

The venison was part of a hind quarter roast...I marinaded it in a mixture of Dales marinade, beer, jalapenos, onions and garlic....

100_6032-1.jpg

I marinaded the catfish in a mixture of soy, water, brown sugar, kosher salt, garlic, onion, tabasco and a bay leaf.

100_6045-1.jpg

Used a chimichurri sauce on the dove breasts....didn't get a pic of them marinading, but here are the breasts before the marinade...

100_6033-1.jpg

Wrapped and ready for smoker....

100_6050-1.jpg

Used a bit of hickory.....

100_6055-1.jpg

I like yuca root cooked over a fire....

100_6039-1.jpg

100_6075-1.jpg

100_6091-1.jpg

That all looks great! Doves are the White Castle of the poultry world! One bite each.

You are a remarkable cook. I always look forward to seeing what you are going to come up with next.

lol Ron...I like that... the "white castle of the poultry world"....thanks!

Jim, I appreciate the compliment!!!:cool:

Nice selection of wild game. I have never had smoked catfish. And especially with the mixture of ingredients. I am definitely intrigued.

Looks fantastic

Thanks Bacon, I really like smoked catfish especially when brined first.

Looks really good. I want to eat at your house. Never seen a boring meal in your posts.

Wow, nice spread! Whether it flies, runs or swims...you've got it all! You have inspired me the most with the catfish. I'll have to do research on prep and smoke times!

Now that reminds me of my trip to venice :biggrin:

DM

WOW!!! It ALL looks fantastic. I must try the yucca root. Can you share the reicpe for it? Nothing like dove breasts wrapped in bacon and indirect grilled. I need to get me a shotgun and go kill some for me!!:twisted:

Awesome looking plate there Cowgirl. I can almost smell it from here :)

Thank you folks!

I must try the yucca root. Can you share the reicpe for it?

Bob, I peel it, cut it down the middle to remove the vein, cube and parboil in salted water.
Then fry it in butter with onions and garlic.....this time I used leeks.
Salt and pepper and add more butter to taste.

The grocery stores sell the roots here. It is different from the yucca plants that grow in my pasture, these are from a plant farther south. You might check in your stores to see what they carry.
Hope this helps!!

I really like the starchiness of the yucca. The stores here sell it, but I could never really find a good recipe for it................till now!! Thanks. It's a must try.

Cowgirl, next time I head that way I'll give let you know. Anything you have posted before sure would be nice to sample.:biggrin:

Bob, that's great! I've always cooked it in my CI skillet over a fire. The smokey flavor adds alot too. Good luck with it! :)

Neighbor Meat Burner, be glad to cook for ya. :-D

wow, looks AWESOME! way to go cowgirl! :) Wonder how walley would work in lieu of catfish? how long did that take on the smoker?

Back