• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Standing Rib Roast

Midnight Smoke

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Hey all' ya Farker's.........

Best to all of you!

Taking the plunge tomorrow with a $$$ cook. I have looked at the Roadmap and the recipe section, found PooBah's recipe and a few other tips.

I am going to try and get a 9lb Prime Rib for this weekend's cook. What wood is the best to use???

Any other tips would be Appreciated.

I would use hickory, but any good fruit wood (apple, pear, cherry, plum, etc.) with a little hickory would work. It is nearly impossible to screw up a prime rib because it is a tender cut of meat (as opposed to less tender like a brisket). However, tender cuts are more mild in beefy flavor so you can use a heavy rub and lots of smoke to add yummy flavor. You can also run the oven temp up to cut the cook time. In theory you shoulld be able to go as high as 500 degrees before it will get tough. I have cooked prime ribs with a heavy chili powder rub at 350 degrees and it turned out great. It had a 1 inch plus smoke ring and driped the most wonderful juice.

Good luck and good eating.

The Poob's PR recipe is the bomb!! I usually use hickory or oak. Lately, I have been adding one chunk of mesquite and I really like what it does for beef.

T I usually use hickory or oak. Lately, I have been adding one chunk of mesquite and I really like what it does for beef.

Thats it right there.

Oak, wth a touch of mesquite. Thats how I do it.

if your using an offset, the mesquite helps get the temps up at the beginning without having to make to big of a fire.

you wouldn't think you could screw up prime rib but my neighbor did. he over smoked a whole prime rib and it was so bitter you could not eat it. what a waste.

i always use jack daniels oak barrel chips

eddieclassicII-024.jpg

eddieclassicII-065.jpg

vinnysprimerib-013.jpg

vinnysprimerib-020.jpg

Rick can i come out in the dead of winter and shovel snow i trade for one of those?

It is nearly impossible to screw up a prime rib . . .

Wayne has given some great advice for sure. Keep in mind that he said "nearly" impossible. It is. in fact, possible to screw up a prime rib.

Thanks for all your help! Sorry if I am asking dumb questions.

I picked up a Choice 6.5 lb boneless. I have hickory and Mesquite for smoke. Cooking on the EGG.

If I can get it as pretty as Rick's I will be the star.

A few more questions;

1- Direct or Indirect? Fatty side up or down?

2- Any reason to use a roasting pan with rack or just place on the grate?

Timing meal?

3- My daughter's like there meat more done than me. I plan to pull the roast at around 120º and let it stand 20 minutes. Will take the EGG up to about 400º. After slicing I will need to throw theirs back on the grill, does Prime Rib cook pretty quick after sliced?

I read where you let it stand wrapped loose in foil for the short run.

4- What happens if the roast is done early say an hour or so. Can I just wrap it tight in foil and cooler?

i always do them indirect, with plate setter, a dry drip pan and grid.
it usually takes around 3 to 3.5 hours at 325-350 for bone in roasts, with the bones cut off, then tied back on. looks like i always put the fat side up.

a couple of minutes per side back on the heat for the slices should make them medium.

it'll continue to cook if you hold it insulated in a cooler. just leave it on the counter, covered

11feb07-011.jpg

11feb07-018.jpg
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/RicksTropicalDelight/biggreenegg/beef/11feb07-018.jpg

I'll have to remember the bone cut off/tied on thing for PR. I have done that for years with bone in pork loins, but for some reason never thought about it with PR.

You know a little over a year ago the biggest thing I cooked was some steaks, burgers and Chicken on the Weber Kettle. After spending time hear I took a $90.00 piece of meat and turned it into a meal.

Thanks for all the education!

And now the PRON...

Picture001.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Picked this up on the WY trip. Good stuff!

Picture018.jpg

Pulled off at 120º

Picture030-1.jpg

Picture038.jpg

Some Sweet Bells

Picture014-1.jpg

Picture024.jpg

The End

Picture044.jpg

Very nice! I love the nice even color of the PR and the pepper bowls. I see the sqush, corn, onions, and peppers but what else is in the bowsl?

You are making me take out a full rib roast out of the freezer... It's CAB and Choice or better from the case of them I bought. This one looks the best, and I think tomorrow night is the day. I am taking it out of the deep freeze now.... I will take pics.

:eusa_clap great job! never fear big meat again!

i picked up some of that deep-pit seasoning at the gift shop at mt saint helens in washington, but i haven't tried it yet. i also picked up some spicy marinade called 'flaming inferno', but i left it in my carry on and now it's in the trash at the porland airport security chekpoint! :shock:

what was your first thought when you cut into that and saw the 'perfect pink'?

Back