MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:41 PM   #1
chinesebob
is One Chatty Farker

Default Catering Inputs On Menu/Amounts Please

Brethren,

I have a cunundrum regarding an event I'm doing. Here's the lay of the land. A high tech company that will be doing a major software implementation over the night and this will be brought in around 10AM Sunday morning.

75 people.
95% Men = ~70 men
25% Vegetarians = ~19 people
75% Meat Eating Carnivores that will rend 30# of brisket in less than 30 minutes.

Carnivore Menu:
Brisket - 40#(precooked weight)
Pulled Pork - 40#
Chicken legs/wings - 2 Full Pans
Fatback green beans - 3 Full Pans
Bush's Baked Beans with Bacon - 2 Full Pans

Vegetarian/Rest of Menu
Non-Fatback Green Beans - 1 Full Pan
Sweet German Style Cole Slaw(thank you Michele) - 4 Full Pans (think too much)
Smoked Mac N Cheese - 2 Full Pans
Apple Pie - 3 Pies (large costco apple pies 9.99 - you can't beat it)
Pumpkin Pie - 2 pies (see above)
Corn Bread - 4 sheets
Buns for Sandwhiches - 50
Sauce

What I'm perplexed over is - do the quantities look ok? Any thoughts or ideas on anything you see? Aside from the Green Beans I will be cooking everything in the spicewine.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:52 PM   #2
eagle697
is one Smokin' Farker

i've never catered, but most looks good. I might think about adding more mac and cheese and non fatback green beens. Just a thought.

2 NB Banderas, Imperial Kamado #5, Imperial Kamado #0, Large Grill Dome, Large Primo Kamado, 22.5 Weber Silver, 18.5 Weber Silver
eagle697 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2008, 06:17 AM   #3
River City Smokehouse
is One Chatty Farker

I think it looks good, but you need a protein source for the vegans. I would suggest Bocca burgers. I do them at bbqs for church for a man who is vegan. I have had them myself and they are very good. A bit expensive but it sure beats Mac and Cheese for the main vegan dish.
Traeger Texas BBQ 075
UDS "Cool Hand Luke"
3 Weber Kettles and a Yellow Thermapen
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge #8425
River City Smokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2008, 08:29 AM   #4
ZBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by River City Smokehouse View Post
I think it looks good, but you need a protein source for the vegans. I would suggest Bocca burgers. I do them at bbqs for church for a man who is vegan. I have had them myself and they are very good. A bit expensive but it sure beats Mac and Cheese for the main vegan dish.
I kinda agree.
Another possibility is portabella mushroom burgers.
Just cook the shroom cap like a burger.
Sprinkle some seasonings in the gill area before grilling and serve on buns.
Jay's new rub, Hen and Hog Dust, Yardbird or even some of my rub would be good.
I scoop out the gills with a teaspoon because they get black, soggy and nasty when grilled.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=blue][B][COLOR=red]Big Z's Sweet Gold[/COLOR] -[/B] [COLOR=black]R[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia]ich honey mustard flavor with a BBQ kick. [/FONT][/FONT]
Great on chicken, burgers, brats, great on ribs too!
Get ya some @ [URL="http://www.greatlakesbbqsupply.com/product.sc?categoryId=3&productId=10"]Great Lakes BBQ Supply Co.[/URL]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Palatino Linotype]WSM, Weber Gasser, Weber OTG[/FONT]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Garamond][COLOR=black]"Tilly"[/COLOR][/FONT] - Spicewine Single Axle[/FONT]
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf"][COLOR=#810081]http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf[/COLOR][/URL]

[/FONT]
ZBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2008, 08:31 AM   #5
Spydermike72
Babbling Farker

Hey Bob, I agree with the other folks, you may need something for the Veggie types. That is quite a spread you are putting on, that is alot of food!!
Backwoods Competitor
Backwoods Party
Weber Performer
Certified Moink Baller
Past President of the Great Lakes BBQ Association

For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know
Spydermike72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2008, 08:38 AM   #6
Fatback Joe
Babbling Farker

I am personally offended by the "non fatback" part of the post.

WSM
Medium Spicewine
Stumps GF223
Humphrey's GF Tank II
24 x 60 Shirley Fabrication
Fatback Joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2008, 08:55 AM   #7
jeffjenkins1
Babbling Farker

I work with a boat load of vegans and they have catered stuff all the time from a specialty store. They do need protein so they usually will have some kind of blackbean or pinto bean and then the soy product I.E. Boca Burgers or Boca Hotdogs. Also, hummus and pita bread, it's pretty easy and they love it.

We fast meat every once in a while and one of my favorites is to use the vegan chicken strips and make stir fried veggies with it served over rice. Pretty cheap and most people can't tell it from real chicken.

I might try to do the vegetarian baked beans and add some vegetarian chicken strips that I smoked in a pan just to keep the BBQ theme.

Jefff
18" Weber OTS
Primo Oval XL
NB American Gourmet offset smoker
UDS
Big Chief Smoker
Turkey Fryer
jeffjenkins1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2008, 09:04 AM   #8
Big Mike
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesebob View Post
Brethren,

I have a cunundrum regarding an event I'm doing. Here's the lay of the land. A high tech company that will be doing a major software implementation over the night and this will be brought in around 10AM Sunday morning.

75 people.
95% Men = ~70 men
25% Vegetarians = ~19 people
75% Meat Eating Carnivores that will rend 30# of brisket in less than 30 minutes.

Carnivore Menu: = 56 people
Brisket - 40#(precooked weight) = about 24lbs cooked, makes 96 sammies or 60 non sandwich servings
Pulled Pork - 40# = about 20lbs cooked, makes 80 sammies or 50 non sandwich servings
Chicken legs/wings - 2 Full Pans = 60+ pieces of chicken. (I'm guessing)
Fatback green beans - 3 Full Pans = 120 servings
Bush's Baked Beans with Bacon - 2 Full Pans = 80 servings

Vegetarian/Rest of Menu
Non-Fatback Green Beans - 1 Full Pan = 40 servings
Sweet German Style Cole Slaw(thank you Michele) - 4 Full Pans (think too much) = 160 servings
Smoked Mac N Cheese - 2 Full Pans = 80 servings
Apple Pie - 3 Pies (large costco apple pies 9.99 - you can't beat it) = 30 servings
Pumpkin Pie - 2 pies (see above) = 20 servings
Corn Bread - 4 sheets
Buns for Sandwhiches - 50
Sauce

What I'm perplexed over is - do the quantities look ok? Any thoughts or ideas on anything you see? Aside from the Green Beans I will be cooking everything in the spicewine.
I think you have more than enough. I showed some estimated serving amounts, for things like the beans and coleslaw it could actually be a bit more. The pies are the only thing I don't think you have enough of. You would have to have 15 slices out of each one. I've never bought one of the large pies, so 15 slices from each may be doable.

Big Mike
Eagle River Barbecue
Yoder YS640
Stumps Platinum 5 Trailer
Members Mark 8 Burner Gasser
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2008, 09:05 AM   #9
Roo-B-Q'N
is One Chatty Farker

I think you are good with your meats, and most of your sides. A bit to heavy on the coleslaw and baked beans (If it is a true full pan and not a half pan). I agree with the others regarding a protien for the vegans, and for ease of hold would do the bocca burgers OR the hummus and pitas. I think the shrooms would be hard to hold for any length of time.

OH and I need the recipe for smoked mac and cheese, PM if you will share.
Large Spicewine, Backwoods Smoker (Party), WSM, Oklahoma Joe's Offset, Wood Fired Oven
Roo-B-Q'N is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2008, 09:45 AM   #10
jdub
is one Smokin' Farker

Gotta make dishes specifically for the Veggies, just telling them to not eat the meat is bad form.
There is not a better Vegetarian cookbook series than the Moosewood series. Its from a restaurant in Ithica, New York. Buy one. Its a great resource, and wonderful food, you will use lots of those recipes for yourself!

Old 04-04-2008, 10:04 AM   #11
ZBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo-B-Q'N View Post
I think the shrooms would be hard to hold for any length of time.
Good point. Didn't think about hold time.

They would be best served straight off the grill.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=blue][B][COLOR=red]Big Z's Sweet Gold[/COLOR] -[/B] [COLOR=black]R[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia]ich honey mustard flavor with a BBQ kick. [/FONT][/FONT]
Great on chicken, burgers, brats, great on ribs too!
Get ya some @ [URL="http://www.greatlakesbbqsupply.com/product.sc?categoryId=3&productId=10"]Great Lakes BBQ Supply Co.[/URL]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Palatino Linotype]WSM, Weber Gasser, Weber OTG[/FONT]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Garamond][COLOR=black]"Tilly"[/COLOR][/FONT] - Spicewine Single Axle[/FONT]
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf"][COLOR=#810081]http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf[/COLOR][/URL]

[/FONT]
ZBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2008, 10:11 AM   #12
Jeremiah
is one Smokin' Farker

Meatless smoked chili? You can load it up with beans. Amounts look good, if anything there is too much, but that's a problem I would like to have. I don't have much experience with this, but I'm thinking $1000-1200 for price. Does that sound reasonable to you? Are you just dropping off the food (no cutlery, plates, drinks,etc)?

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-...chilli,FF.html

Old 04-04-2008, 11:03 AM   #13
OSD
is One Chatty Farker

Sounds good. I think I would cut back on the greenbeans. But I think I would do the greenbeans and baked beans so that either could eat them. Alot less confusion for setting up and people asking which is which, plus a lot less prep and would work for reg. eaters or Vegens that way. I agree with the other about the Bocca burgers. I like the idea of the meatless chili also and both could eat that. The other thing I see and surprised no mentioned is the buns and bread. I would only do 2 pans of cornbread. I would add some loafs of white and whole wheat bread and a tub of margarine for people who don't eat sammies and maybe don't like cornbread. They could make the sammies on bread too. I just think on all the sides for ease of prep and serving in this situation, I would make them so that either could eat them. JMHO

Old 04-04-2008, 12:03 PM   #14
jeffjenkins1
Babbling Farker

They sell "vegetable" ground beef crumbles that I use for chile and it comes out good. I would use more beans than crumble though.

Also, might try the canned "vegetarian" soup stock they sell to cook the green beens in for flavor (although it won't work like a big hunk of smoked pork or turkey).

Jeff
18" Weber OTS
Primo Oval XL
NB American Gourmet offset smoker
UDS
Big Chief Smoker
Turkey Fryer
jeffjenkins1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2008, 12:09 PM   #15
ams14
On the road to being a farker

So for 50 meat-eating people, you have 40# pork, 40# brisket, plus a bunch of chicken. That's probalby close to 100# of meat pre-cooked.

I always thought it was 1# uncooked per person, which ends up being closer to .5# cooked per person? That would mean you are cooking twice as much as you'd need, especially if you have some hearty sides and desert.