Chicken box

Coz

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I would like to get some thought on a turn in box.Be brutal I have thick skin.Thanks guys and gals.

Attachments

• 12-30 002.jpg
    12-30 002.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 262
top right pc is poorly trimmed--sauce looks thick(maybe foto) and the greenery looks all the produce we see in the winter--would score above average imo

I'd give it an 8. Overall, I like it.

Generally I like the chicken to look a bit darker but it looks a bit too dark but it could be the lighting etc.

Thanks Buzz.Yes the sauce is thick I need to thin it down more.I have practiced a lot on flavor and not saucing or trimming and I need to get it shaped up June will be here before ya know it.
Vinnie,the pic is a little dark but not a lot.Thanks

I would be happy,,,but,...hind site,,,not uniform in shape... over gaazed..garnesh over the turn in, its about the meat (I think)!! IMHO..good luck!!Sal

I'm not sure I agree that the chicken looks oversauced, but it could be. I think they could be trimmed better and a bit more uniform in color. Also, keep the sauce off the garnish.. but I think i'd give it an 8.

Some of the skin seems to have "postage stamped" on you. The box looks nice - just a little trimming, and attention to the skin and its a "9". Doing a quick "auto" adjust on the pic for light - I thought the color of the chicken was great.

Vinny I pmed Andy with the same ? Skin shrinkage.

I would give it an 7 - possibly an 8 depending on how the color and sauce looked in real life.
Things to maybe improve:Too much green in the box, especially between pieces. I would add more meat. You want the box to look full - imho. Trim the thighs to square them up. This might eliminate some of the green between pieces. This will also allow you to add more meat to the box. Upper left thigh looks like sauce came off. Sauce on the garnish. Meat seems dark in the picture.
Good: The parsley is even in the box and looks good except for the sauce spots. Size of each piece is close to the same - not big and small mixed. Hopefully the taste and tenderness - that's where the real test is. Good luck.

I would give it a solid 8. Remember to trim your thighs to be all the same size.

A number of pieces appear to have a little "burnt" edges. May just be the pic. I like it and I don't see the parsley problem other people mention. I agree that maybe the sauce layer is thick. When a judge picks up a piece will their fingers be covered in sauce or is it tacky on the chicken?

Tip for taking box pictures. Person taking the picture sits in a chair. Person holding the box is about 3 feet away and holds the box just below eye level and tilted toward the person. That's more or less what a judge sees.

I think it is pretty good, The garnish looks good except for the one spot that had sauce on it, and Taking into account that the picture is a little dark I think the color is probably good. The sauce looks a little thick to me but overall I would give it a 8 for appearance.

Anyone willing to share what they do to prevent the postage stamping of the skin. I have heard may things like trying to leave overhand of the skin so it is bigger than the meat. I also know that many people use toothpicks. Thanks in advance

Anyone willing to share what they do to prevent the postage stamping of the skin. I have heard may things like trying to leave overhand of the skin so it is bigger than the meat. I also know that many people use toothpicks. Thanks in advance

I trim my thighs so there is more skin, so when it shrinks up it looks better. I feel i have a decent technique of trimming chicken that i've done since day 1.. but it's quite time consuming. it takes me about an hour and a half to trim 20. I start off with about 40, so a lot goes to the trash, but thighs are cheap.

I would like to get some thought on a turn in box.Be brutal I have thick skin.Thanks guys and gals.

For a better picture, indoors, go for a shutter speed around F13, ISO 100-200, with a flash. ouside in the sun, ISO will need to be bumped up. watch the glare off the meat. Prime glass if you got it, and always shoot in RAW so you can mess with it later, especially if your histogram is off. take several pics with slight angle adjustments incase the lighting isn't right.

OK, I take back what I said... You are one smart sumb!tch!!!! :eek:

Scottie

Back