bbq on the farm 2008, Yardley, PA - 6/6/08 - 6/8/08

butt head

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
the yardley, pa. comp is now listed on ksbs. it was moved to 6/6/08 to 6/8/08

No waiting list last year. Had 50 or so teams (up considerably from the year before when it was in a nearby location and had a slight name change from River to Farm).

I enjoyed it, especially as I came in 3rd overall with two top 5 calls. Defiintely considering doing again. Only 100 miles from Long Island so it is also one of the closer contests. Did not like the fact that I had to back my trailer up a hill to park in my spot (although the majority of spots were on flatter surface).

I think this year it's the same weekend as the Big Apple BBQ Block Party in NYC.

Last edited:
that gives me last year's info.
was this one of those full contests with a waiting list?

Ah, you're killing me. I hate it when I don't read something. Good catch Sean. I guess that's where the info will be when it's available. Duh.

I like this one.
I judged it last year and visited with Vinny, Guy, Kirk and several others.
Hope to be there again this year.

Overall, a decent event. Good Weather, some vendors, good music/band etc. The cooks breakfast was excellent as Tom Christine of Smoken Dudes, the organizer, had eggs, potatoes, bacon/sausage, juice, coffee for all teams.

Actually, weather wasn't that great on Saturday -- it was cold, rainy and very windy. Sunday, however, was absolutely gorgeous.

I thought they had a nice setup. Very easy to get to, lots of different activities, excellent site support.

We got our first call at this event (4th in Pork); we'll definitely be back.

This one broke my bbq cherry, if you remember it was COLD and nasty weather...rain etc..being during a warmer month I may do it again. It is a "state championship" as well I think. hope it is only 2 days this year..

It's Fri, Sat, and Sun again. We had a great time last year, got a call in pork. Tom and Red did a great job putting it together.
Hey Sal, see you got some new toys... nice!

We went down last year too, and are planning on going back. good times, great event, very cooker-friendly, good prize pool and I thought the Iron Chef category was awesome. You can stay at the hotel RIGHT across the street, last year he got a discount for teams/judges, MABA put on a yummy hot cook's breakfast, and there are two really good grocery stores nearby. Plus, you're on a farm.
organizers did a fantastic job. this year I am bringing the kids.

We met Smokin' Gnome, it was their first, and I still admire their trailer.... :>

We'll see you there...

Kind of dissapointed that they made the date the same as the comp in Landover, MD. I was going to do both, as I'm pretty much in the middle of them. I'm sure that the weather in June is better than May, but I wanted to have one a month from April on.:cry:

Kind of dissapointed that they made the date the same as the comp in Landover, MD. I was going to do both, as I'm pretty much in the middle of them. I'm sure that the weather in June is better than May, but I wanted to have one a month from April on.:cry:

The organizer at Landover moved his date from last year as it conflicted with several other contests, (yardley, chesapeake) he wanted to attract more teams. I think when he picked his date, it was open, I am also bummed to see two area contests set on the same day. I would think that the planners would try and avoid this so the contest could attract the maximun number of teams.

Rumor has it we'll be trying to do both as one has turn-ins on Sat and the other on Sunday.. Should be interesting.. Yardley was a nice event last year...

Awww man. This is my birthday weekend. Is that enough reason for the wife to let me out of my "only three contests in 2008" pact???? Me thinks so....

Back