MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:34 AM   #1
jpalaska
Full Fledged Farker

Default Sliced Pork Rather Than Pulled

I know that what I'm about to say is heresy in my newly adopted North Carolina. But, I'm just not that crazy about pulled or shredded meats.
As you probably know, BBQed Boston Butt is the 'go to' meat in this neck of the woods.

I think I'd prefer trying to cook a shoulder for slicing instead of pulling.
Would I want to cook it less time in the WSM than if I was cooking it for pulling? Would a chunk of shoulder be better for slicing than a whole 8-10 lb shoulder?

thanks,
JP

Old 03-17-2014, 07:42 AM   #2
Garrett
Babbling Farker

I always cook to be able to pull it, but if I wanted slices I would try cooking to an IT between 180 and 190. That would just be me guessing cause you wouldn't want it to be probe tender to make slices.

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-17-2014, 07:48 AM   #3
pmad
is One Chatty Farker

I had sliced at Arthur Bryant's in KC.
It was fantastic.
pmad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2014, 07:59 AM   #4
Jaskew82
is One Chatty Farker

I purchase a small section of a boston butt from my local grocer this weekend. It was actually the money muscle section with a bit more from behind it. All dark meat and was fantastic. I cut a pocket into it, stuffed it with some precooked apples, onion, bread, etc.

I thew it on the BGE @ around 375 deg and cooked 90 minutes when the temp hit around 165 internal. I let it rest and sliced it at around 1/4 thick. It was very good.

Sliced pork is excellent - nothing to be ashamed of. I recommend cooking to around 160 degrees.

2013 Stumps Classic - Delivered 4/15/13
Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
2010 Weber genesis gas grill
Rescued 22.5 Weber One-touch gold
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired
Jaskew82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2014, 08:08 AM   #5
jpalaska
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
I always cook to be able to pull it, but if I wanted slices I would try cooking to an IT between 180 and 190. That would just be me guessing cause you wouldn't want it to be probe tender to make slices.
Thanks Garret,
What is 'probe tender'?

JP

Old 03-17-2014, 08:15 AM   #6
castlepines
is One Chatty Farker

This is the time you cook a butt to a temp rather than probe tender. I agree that 160-165 should do it, just like other pork products. Although 140 is the new accepted temp for pork, theres a lot more connective tissue in pork butt.

Probe tender: take something like a meat probe, thermometer probe, bamboo skewer, etc. When the meat is done the probe should slide right into it with very little effort. The connective tissue provides resistance. Once that is broken down, there is no resistance and the probe slides right in.
castlepines is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2014, 11:35 AM   #7
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

What they all said above; probably looking right at 180-185 internal temp to render as much fat and break down the tendons, etc.; no more...

That said, may I inquire as to why you prefer sliced vs. pulled? I ask this because there is a difference in pulled pork and shredded pork (which a lot of people call pulled). Shredded tends to get dry and loses a lot of the flavor. Pulled, if left in chunks roughly the size of your thumb, tends to hold the moisture and flavor MUCH better. I love pulled pork, and frankly dont care for shredded pork.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills

Last edited by Lake Dogs; 03-17-2014 at 12:01 PM..
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-17-2014, 01:44 PM   #8
jpalaska
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
What they all said above; probably looking right at 180-185 internal temp to render as much fat and break down the tendons, etc.; no more...

That said, may I inquire as to why you prefer sliced vs. pulled? I ask this because there is a difference in pulled pork and shredded pork (which a lot of people call pulled). Shredded tends to get dry and loses a lot of the flavor. Pulled, if left in chunks roughly the size of your thumb, tends to hold the moisture and flavor MUCH better. I love pulled pork, and frankly dont care for shredded pork.
I don't know, maybe the pulled pork I've had so far has been more like the consistency of shredded meat. I think I'd like it better if I tried a portion with a little more bark and fat in it.

JP

Old 03-17-2014, 01:45 PM   #9
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

I prefer chopped pork vs pulled/shredded - lil different taste n texture. I do butts but I take them off at IT of 185-190* and let them rest 1 hr then chunk n dice n chopp them. I also prefer Pork Shoulder Picnic cuz it has stronger taste. By the way Pork Butt Burnt Ends are Fantastalisous!!!!!

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=182490

Old 03-17-2014, 01:56 PM   #10
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you with the face!

190 is the sweet spot for sliced boneless seems better for slicing than bone in but bone in is better for pulled. Bit of bbq sauce over slices is really good.
Rusty Kettle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2014, 02:33 PM   #11
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

I like pulled, chopped, shredded - all that - and I also really like sliced. I've had some very good sliced pork bbq - nothing wrong with that at all, and, as previously stated, you're looking at around 190 or maybe a little less for that methinks.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2014, 02:45 PM   #12
jpalaska
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
I like pulled, chopped, shredded - all that - and I also really like sliced. I've had some very good sliced pork bbq - nothing wrong with that at all, and, as previously stated, you're looking at around 190 or maybe a little less for that methinks.
Thanks. BTW, I love your dog's photo. Years ago I had a Doberman who lost an eye. Penny was one of the sweetest dogs I ever had.

JP

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-17-2014, 03:00 PM   #13
bwram1
is one Smokin' Farker

Pop into Belk in Morganton tomorrow and I'll try to change your mind about pulled...got 2 butts on the smoker as we speak.

4.5 hours into the cook
Old Country Smokehouse; Pit Barrel Cooker; WSM 22; Weber OTG 22; [COLOR=Blue][COLOR=Black]36"[/COLOR][COLOR=Black] Blackstone griddle; [/COLOR][B]BLUE[/B][/COLOR] Thermoworks Smoke; [COLOR=Blue][B]BLUE [/B][/COLOR]Thermapen; [B]BLACK[/B] Thermopop[COLOR=Red].[/COLOR]
bwram1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2014, 03:05 PM   #14
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I have several customers that want it sliced, I cook to internal of 175,
160-165 did not seem tender however very tasty, flavor profile is different sliced.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:25 PM   #15
N8man
Babbling Farker

when I do sliced, I cook pork picnics to around 170-180 internal temp and, this is the most important part, wrap tightly and rest for at least an hour, two is better, before slicing...lets the juices redistribute....mighty tasty!!!

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote