MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-25-2005, 10:07 PM   #1
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

Default Not Good Results

Well, my first cook with all lump and chunks failed miserably. The large brisket that was on the bottom shelf was overcooked, parts of it were ok. 1 butt, I just chunked it, it was dry as a bone, not worth eating.

There are 2 other butts and the smaller brisket in the frig and hopefully they are better, but I am not hopeful.

Somebody was asking if people talked about their bad experiences on here and this was definitely mine.

You know its bad when your family agrees it is not up to par they agree it is not worth keeping!

BBQ is a lot like golf I am finding out. Just when you think you got it figured out, you shoot 120.

The ribs did come out decent. If I get up the nerve to try the other, I will let you know.

Old 12-25-2005, 10:28 PM   #2
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

Keep at it. It will all pay off.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-25-2005, 10:30 PM   #3
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Sounds like temps were to high. Bottom shelf means what?/ immediatly above the water pan? or a few 4-5 niths higher. I never went and loower than 3-4 th from the bottom.

next.. I try to take briskets out not very much higher than 180.. I prefer it sit at 180 for hours to tenderize, or cooler it under its own heat load than to bring it to 190-200 the way some of us do. Give us details of what ya did.. Dont give it up.. we'll get ya there.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2005, 05:25 AM   #4
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

jgh, don't despair, we all have less than stellar moments from time to time. My prime rib got done way too soon yesterday (I managed to recover from that) but then some of our guests were 45mins late so what would have been great beef was just so-so. We learn and do better next time.
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2005, 06:11 AM   #5
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I had temps too high on my stuffed loin and it finished way to soon also. I thought it was too dry but everyone else raved about it. The turkey turned out great even though the wifey threw out over half of the butter and wine basting liquid I had on the counter while I was tending the fire. Go back in to get it and she asks, "what are you looking for? OH! I thought you were done so I threw it out and washed the pan." My wife is obsessive when it comes to things being neat and clean. I have to keep an eye on everything I'm using or when I reach for it, it will be gone. The good thing is that I know I'll find it in the drawer or cupboard already washed, dried and put away.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, Weber: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, Weber Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), Two 22.5" Kettles, & a Smokey Joe; Old Country 36" griddle, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove and a UDS.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2005, 06:13 AM   #6
Neil

JGH, chop up that leftover brisket and make some kickass chilli for the bowl games next week.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, Weber: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, Weber Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), Two 22.5" Kettles, & a Smokey Joe; Old Country 36" griddle, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove and a UDS.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2005, 07:59 AM   #7
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

The temps were too high. It was a 12lb brisket and it hit 160 after only 4.5 hours and it probably was a little too low in the chamber. My baffle extends a little too far into the smoker chamber for the water bowl to sit on the bottom shelf, so it is up 2 or 3 slots. The 12lb brisket was just above that.

My main problem was that I was not monitering everything as well as I should have been.

The brisket is good once I chopped off all the charred hunks around the eges and just a little on the dry side, which means to me, that I did not pull it soon enough.

Old 12-26-2005, 10:02 AM   #8
The Woodman
Full Fledged Farker

Personally, I find lump burns too hot and fast for longer cooks. I use it for grilling, but use KF for smoking.
Rickenbacker 4004 Cii -Rickenbacker 4003-09
Rickenbacker 4001 - RIckenbacker 4001c64
Rickenbacker Fretless 4003-08- Fender P-Bass
Warwick Fretless Corvette-Gibson EB-3
[URL="http://www.woodmansbbq.com"]www.woodmansbbq.com[/URL]
The Woodman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2005, 12:09 PM   #9
Solidkick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Woodman
Personally, I find lump burns too hot and fast for longer cooks. I use it for grilling, but use KF for smoking.
And always "K" side up........

I agree that lump might have not been your best choice for a low and slow cook. I mainly use lump to help get the initial cooker temp up, and when I have drastic temp drops that needs attention (like when I fall asleep), other than that, I use it for grilling.

Question: Where you spraying the meat with something to help keep from drying out?

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2005, 03:14 PM   #10
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

Yep, apple juice/water/vinegar combo.

Old 12-26-2005, 03:23 PM   #11
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

In Austrailia, do they have to cook with the K side down?

Old 12-26-2005, 03:35 PM   #12
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgh1204
In Austrailia, do they have to cook with the K side down?
Yes, Southern hemisphere is K down.

Old 12-26-2005, 05:56 PM   #13
Solidkick

How often did you spray? Did you wrap in foil at any point through your cook?

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2005, 06:04 PM   #14
thillin

If it was like my day, we had 20mph wind with 30mph gust. Hard to keep a steady temp. Backyard was like a cyclone.
Mini BGE-adopted 1/31/08 CL Score
Traeger 075-adopted 12/3/11 CL Score
Weber 1 touch CL Score
Weber Spirit 500 CL Score
Weber Smokey Joe Silver CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty
thillin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2005, 06:27 PM   #15
tommykendall

JGH - you'll do all right. There are a ton of brothers in TX - maybe one can be there persoally some day for some troubleshooting and a 'coached' cook.