MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:04 AM   #1
bmonkman
Full Fledged Farker

Default The Science Behind Brining

This is a very detailed, in-depth breakdown of the brining process and what goes into making a successful brine.

https://www.stellaculinary.com/podca...-resource-page

Hopefully you will find it useful.

Brian
Ex-pat Canadian

[B][COLOR=Red]When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???[/COLOR][/B]
bmonkman is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 12-12-2012, 11:20 AM   #2
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Personally, I LOVE this kind of stuff. Thanks for posting this.

Rather than just doing it because I was told that it works and that I should do it, I'd MUCH rather understand WHY it works and HOW it works. Just like with anything else (faith, science, my job, whatever) once I understand WHY something works, I can better apply that to my personal experiences.

I mean even a simple thing like BBQ itself.....when I started I did what others here said worked. That was great to start with. But when I learned WHY things like low & slow, hot & fast, grilling vs smoking, cold smoking vs hot smoking, marinating vs injecting, etc worked like they did, then THAT opened up a whole new world of experimentation, learning and FUN that better enabled me to grow as a cook.

Thanks again.

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-12-2012, 11:41 AM   #3
bmonkman
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post
Personally, I LOVE this kind of stuff. Thanks for posting this.

Rather than just doing it because I was told that it works and that I should do it, I'd MUCH rather understand WHY it works and HOW it works. Just like with anything else (faith, science, my job, whatever) once I understand WHY something works, I can better apply that to my personal experiences.
I agree with you 100% Wampus. Like you, that's just the way I am wired.

Interestingly enough it was the current TD that led me to look for something like this. I want to incorporate a maple syrup based liqueur in the brine I was thinking of using. Of course I wanted to figure out what quantity would be best.

Brian
Ex-pat Canadian

[B][COLOR=Red]When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???[/COLOR][/B]
bmonkman is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->