Mold in my WSM

Smoothsmoke

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I haven't smoked in a few months. No time, working like a dog. I checked on my baby today and what do you know, mold on the rim where the lid sits and a bit on the side walls. None on the grates. What's the best way to tackle this? I dont think I can do a mega high heat burn out ala UDS style in my neighborhood. Will probably have the fire department come a knocking. Oh and I dont have a weed burner.

Not that big of a deal. It's happened to me.

I scrape most of it out with a plastic mud knife, the either wash it real good with hot soapy water, or light a fire in it and leave the bottom vents open so it gets on the hot side. It'll kill the mold.

Easiest thing to do though is prevent it. Make sure you clean the water pan out, shake the ash off the coals and empty the ash from the bowl. Store it with the center section upside down to prevent water from getting in while not in use.

Power washer would probably do it. Or Sodium per carbonate ... In other words "unsented" tide laundry detergent.

Mix up some Clorox and water, and wash it off. You have to kill the mold before or while you remove it, or it will come right back.

If you rinse well after the Clorox-water wash, and let it dry, you should be good to go.

CD

Just ignore it. I used to worry about the stuff and clean it off. Then I got lazy, and never noticed it imparting any odd flavor or anything. Now I simply leave it alone, and cover it with more goo.

Good Luck!

I just cleaned mold off mine the other day.

I hit it with the hose to let whatever spores might blow do so with a stream of water. Then I took a ball of foil and scraped the sides until I had scraped off all the buildup (wasn't hard to take off at all). Then I took some soap and water and washed it up, hosed it off, and fired it up.

Sure, I may not have used bleach, but I don't think any tiny microscopic bits of mold that might have been left over survived the firing up of the cooker. There were no off flavors.

Sadly, I am going to have to buy new grates. They are now rusted.:drama: I had to use a pan so as to keep the meat off of the rusty grates.

Like what has already been said just a little soap, water [ add bleach if you like ] and elbow grease and your good to go

The only use for Matchlight is cleaning mold off your WSM.

stock-illustration-5164900-jack-of-spades-playing-card.jpg

a little degreaser and a little scrubbing and a rinse with the hose should work just fine. I had this after doing the thanksgiving turkeys and forgetting to clean out the waterpan (for about a month of warm weather).:oops: 1" thick grey fuzzy mold covering the entire inside of the WSM. :oops: Cleaned up easily, just made dinner about a half hour later than planned.

Back