Need Some Morton Quick Tender

stin187

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Does anyone know where to buy this locally in Rhode Island or Mass? Or am I better off just ordering some online? Of course I already have a brisket packer in the fridge just begging to become pastrami :grin: .... Thanks for the advice.

Thats what I thought till I checked ever major grocery store and found nothing. I ended up finding pink salt at Williams and Sonoma at a mall in Ma. Even used there product locator with no results

How about Walmart? The Super Walmart's carry it around here.

You may also be able to get some pink salt from a local meat market who cures their own meat.

I need to go to williams sonoma to exchange a gift anyway so this should be perfect ... thanks for all the advice :-D

Yeah, make sure that pink salt says one of the following: Prague powder, insta cure, modern cure... all of them are the same - should be 6.25% sodium nitrite.

Be sure to add only the amount specified on the pkg, tender quick and pink salt aren't interchangeable, you'll need to add salt & sugar to the pink salt since it only contains a small amount of salt.

If you need a bag of TQ and can't find it, PM me and I'll arrange to mail you some

The williams sonoma salt is 6.25% sodium nitrite according to the web site. I'm going to call around today (providing they are open) and try to pick some up. Hopefully it's in stock and I'll be on my way to pastrami and bacon very soon. Thanks for all the help and links :thumb:

Does anyone know where to buy this locally in Rhode Island or Mass? Or am I better off just ordering some online? Of course I already have a brisket packer in the fridge just begging to become pastrami :grin: .... Thanks for the advice.

Abound here any true butcher and sportsman shop will carry morton or curing mix for corned beef.

Andella's Boulevard Meats
Pawtucket, Rhode Island

Armando & Sons Meat Market
265 Pine St, Pawtucket, RI 02860
401-727-0707

Boulevard Meats
627 Armistice Blvd, Pawtucket, RI 02861
401-728-2260

The Butcher Shop
157 Elmgrove Ave, Providence, RI 02906
3.0MI from Pawtucket
401-861-4627

Central Meat Market
113 Gano St, Providence, RI 02906
3.0MI from Pawtucket
401-751-6935

Rodrigues Meats
1024 S Broadway, East Providence, RI 02914
5.0MI from Pawtucket
401-270-7875

Jacqueline Meat Market
373 Smith St, Providence, RI 02908
5.0MI from Pawtucket
401-272-4538

I have always used Morton TQ or Sugar Cure, but I just picked up some Prague Powder #1 for ham and corned beef
& #2 for dried sausage and meats.

This way I can control the amount of salt/sugar ratio to my likes.

Last edited:
Armondo & Sons is my go to butcher. They have everything fresh and cheap. The place is always packed and with a quick brush up on highschool spanish you'll be in good shape. Oddly around here most of the butcher shops I called or stopped in to do not carry any form of cure .... strange as that may be. I'll certainly try a few from this list later on to see if they do but for now I'm off to williams sonoma where they have a few jars on hold for me :-D. The trick is going to be only coming home with the cure and not a bunch of new toys as well ....

@ ganso It is a cure for meats. Used to make bacon and pastrami and many other bundles of joy

What do you all use this for?

Tenderquick, Sugar Cure, Pink Salt #1, or Praque Powder #1 all contain Sodium Nitrite which is used as a step to (quick) cure meats such as ham, corned beef, ect.....

Pink Salt #2, or Praque Powder #2 contain Sodium Nitrite and Sodium Nitrate which is used for long dry cured sausage and meats.

The inhibit the growth of deadly bacteria in the curing process.

What do you all use this for?

Hello Mate,

I use this for making bacon, basically use 5% of cure to the weight of the pork and rub it in over a few days.

You can also use it for making snags, pastrami, gammon etc,etc,etc.

Tenderquick, Sugar Cure, Pink Salt #1, or Praque Powder #1 all contain Sodium Nitrite which is used as a step to (quick) cure meats such as ham, corned beef, ect.....

Pink Salt #2, or Praque Powder #2 contain Sodium Nitrite and Sodium Nitrate which is used for long dry cured sausage and meats.

The inhibit the growth of deadly bacteria in the curing process.

Actually Tenderquick has both Nitrates & Nitrites as well. :thumb:

Tp the OP: I Morton's Tenderquick & Sugar Cure (you can use these interchangeably) at feed stores here locally (not sure why, but they all seem to carry it), and they are not listed on Morton's product locator as having it.

I usually get mine from E-Bay or Amazon (out of stock last time I checked). There is no other source within 1200 miles for me. You can also order cure #1 but be careful of the shipping, Morton wanted to charge me $29.95 for a 2lb bag.

Go to drug store asked for salt peter, lot of them carry it.

Well, that might not be exactly the right thing to use for pastrami...

Here's why - salt peter is potassium nitrAte, the counterpart to sodium nitrAte. In a quick cure (a week or so) you want to use potassium nitrIte or sodium nitrIte...
What's the difference? nitrAte slowly breaks down and converts to nitrIte. NitrIte is what actually does the curing, nitrAtes are the time release capsules that continue to provide nitrItes for long, slow cures.

Will salt peter work? Sure, eventually... They used it for ages before the chemistry of curing was known, but there is the possibility of the food spoiling or not getting fully cured since the nitrAte to nitrIte conversion takes longer.

Also, I've never bought salt peter, but I'm wondering if the strength (concentration) is the same as cure #1... it's probably stronger and you'd need to use less I'm guessing?

Back