what's wrong with my tel-tru

deepsouth

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
i bought a tel-tru a few months ago to replace my bge thermo on my lbge as i had questioned the accuracy of my bge thermo.

when i went to install it, i noticed it was threaded at the top of the base and while it went deep enough into the top to attach, it never actually gave a reading.

this morning, i tested both thermos and it seems my bge one is pretty much on, but the tel-tru seems to be reading low.

1583d2ab.jpg

tel-tru on left, bge on right

1373822c.jpg

the threads

6e5050e6.jpg

should be 212

e631d02f.jpg

daa743a3.jpg

thanks in advance.

Some Tel-Trus have quicker/slower temp reactions... that I noticed.
Some thermos can be calibrated by turning the backside nut.

Did you contact Tel-Tru? What is their warranty period? Could just have a bad thermometer. Or see if the place you purchased it from will exchange it.

You should be able to calibrate it by turning that brass collar.

it doesn't actually go down far enough into the egg because of that threaded part, which stays outside the dome.

i think they sent me the wrong one, but i bought it many months ago and never swapped them out.

I use a Tel Tru bge replacement thermo for my pizza oven. It looks like this and comes with a longer stem and no threaded collar just like your original bge thermo. I believe you got the wrong one.
Regardless, as far as making it read 212F you need to turn that collar.

P1040976-1.jpg

At least give it the boiling water test and see if you can adjust it before doing anything drastic. It may be good just not for the egg and can be used some ware else. It looks like you needed the longer stem gauge from the photos. May not seem like much but 190 to 212 is not much either and the short stem may be putting you in a bit of a cooler zone, just my thoughts and probably not worth 2cents. And while you are testing the tel-thru check the other and adjust it as well.
Dave

i checked them temps in those bottom photos dave.

i'm wondering if the stem may be replaceable?

i checked them temps in those bottom photos dave.

i'm wondering if the stem may be replaceable?

Well kind don't think so but all they can say about replacing the entire gauge is no. worth a shot.
Dave

It looks like you have the wrong one. You don't need a threaded one. Here is a link to the 5" model that many Eggers use. They are $20 or so. All you need to do is put a spacer on the outside of the Egg when you cook certain things like a turkey so it won't poke it.

The problem with getting a thermometer that is too short is that the sensing area of the thermometer is either too close to, or actually inside the hole in the dome. Look on the shaft of your thermometer, you are looking for a dimple or a 360° ring. It should be about 2" from the end. The dimple or ring must be exposed to measure correctly inside the dome (or if you are inserting a therm into a roast, you must go past the dimple or ring).

Back