Chicken Box help

Fishiest1

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Heres my latest attempt. Anyone mind giving me some pointers, grades, contructive criticism? Really appreciate it!

Thanks!

207176_1998034875515_1382816241_32357659_5281615_n.jpg

216803_1998035395528_1382816241_32357660_5968520_n.jpg

Trim so they are symmetrical close to the same size and no dealy whops hanging off the sides. Try to make the sauce as pretty as possible trying not to glob. Just take your time and make them look nice. I do like the color of your sauce!

Good luck.

FBA Comp???

1. Pull, shred or chunk some chicken and put that down in the bottom of the box so that your meat sits up a bit (sauce that too).
2. Turn the chicken the other direction so that you can hide gnarly end pieces against each other (if you want).
3. Make sure that you rub & sauce the ends of your entries (discolored) and that you get your "finish" sauce on a bit earlier to set and not glob
4. Your injection stained the inside of the chicken and that could throw people off, even if they have already scored you on presentation. They may take it out on you in taste and tenderness.
5. Shape the thighs to be a bit more wide and a bit less narrow.
6. Hide the loaf pan in the picture.

Other than that...go get em in Venice this weekend.:thumb:

Okay, round 2. Am I getting any closer? Thanks in advance for any advice. I really appreciate it!

222025_2023688676844_1382816241_32386508_7830056_n.jpg

225143_2023751398412_1382816241_32386587_5459431_n.jpg

Last edited:
The thighs look good, but what is under them? It looks a bit like brains in the picture :shock:. Is this for an FBA competition? I have no idea what the judges look for, so I'm really not a big help, but the thighs look better than the first box.

Yikes! Brains!

Yes, its FBA so trying not to show any white.. Again, I appreciate the comments good or bad, its the only way I can improve!
Thanks

Seeing white is ok. FBA, MBN, GBA judges are accustomed to it. It's not like KCBS. Fill the box, neatly, with meat, but not over-crowd. A nice rich red color (like in the first pics) do best in appearance. Shredded chicken, underneath, is *ok*, but certainly not required. Definitely NOT brains!! :)

The thighs look good, but what is under them? It looks a bit like brains in the picture :shock:. Is this for an FBA competition? I have no idea what the judges look for, so I'm really not a big help, but the thighs look better than the first box.
I thought the same, brain junk

I agree with the others. Brains....

The thighs on the second cook do look much better than the first cook though. I also think a third row of thighs would make the box look better. Then again I am not at all familiar with FBA rules.

Might also want to consider thinning out your sauce. IMO, if you can't easily pour your CHX sauce, it's too thick.

Best of luck!

I wanted to try a third row but tried going boneless with a few as a test so then didnt have enough to make another row. I will do it for sure next time!

So to get rid of the brains should I just cut in finer or tear it? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

FBA, GBA, MBN, etc. dont allow garnish. Otherwise the rules in the box are very similar to KCBS. If it's meat, in the box, it is assumed that it was intended to be eaten/sampled as part of the entry, and judges are therefore required to sample eat it. IF you shred or something make sure that it's not dry or something that'll bring your scores downward. Honestly, I think the cut of the 2nd box was better. If you can fit another row of chickens in there without cramming too bad, that's the answer. Otherwise go without. You'll be fine.

2nd box is a big improvement and the suggestions are solid. Keep in mind that this is a meat contest not a sauce contest.
Personally I think every competitor should take the judging course that is offered by FBA and judge a couple of contests. I believe that this will vastly improve your product. GOOD LUCK

Back