MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:37 PM   #46
Skip
is Blowin Smoke!

I wouldn't say he is trying to subvet the rules by thinking warming up is not cooking. I can see both sides of that arguement and each is viable. By reheating most meat you probably won't garner enough heat and time to change the cooked properties of a piece of meat however by returning it to the cooker for whatever reason can be considered cooking it if you interpet cooking as applying heat to food for consumption.
I agree with him that there are teams out there who do return the meat to the cooker. I have seen it myself.

"you're eating tree RAT, tree RAT, you're eating RAT!" -- landarc
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2009, 02:37 PM   #47
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

We could go on for days, I hate pork anyway! I much rather eat brisket and ribs. Pork and chicken get wrapped for my dog!!

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2009, 02:42 PM   #48
goodsmokebbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
I don't believe so, but you are free to make that argument.

Just thinking that a team could then say, how about a cast iron skillet on a blasing hot grill then pull it off add sauce and mix your pork in there.

Is adding heat in any way to the pork considered cooking? The rule says nothing about where the cooking takes place (in / out of cooker).

I really just want to give the judges hot food.
goodsmokebbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2009, 02:54 PM   #49
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeBBQ View Post
Do these folks have names ? What's the reason for this rule in the first place ? Is this one of those rules that came into play because some team was winning a lot and the people who attended the rules meeting were sick of getting beat ?

Oh no... You aren't taking me down that road!!! My sources are confidential!!!

But I can't say I disagree with your thinking... Probably because Smokin' In the Boys Room were beating everyone's butts, hence the rule...

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2009, 03:27 PM   #50
goodsmokebbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodsmokebbq View Post
Isn't that technically cooking / warming the meat (with sauce)?
No matter how many intermediate steps you take you are still taking thermal energy from your cooker and applying it to your pork. How is this technically different from putting your pork on the cooker to warm up?

I am getting so confused
goodsmokebbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2009, 05:11 PM   #51
smokincracker
is one Smokin' Farker

Default You farkers got it all figured out:)

Have you ever seen a smoke ring all the way around the money muscle?
I have parted the money muscle at home and it cooks well separated in the oven so I can imagine that it has been attempted in competition by others. (might cut down on cooking time) HUH I'm guessin thats the purpose of the rule.

The fact is I pull my pork right after chicken turn-in and place it in a half pan arranged so that building my pork box will be easy when the time comes. I foil the pan and then back in the hot box. I have several times put the pan back into the cooker right before turn in to heat up the pork before building the box. This will back fire if the cooker is too hot…..burnt fingers! O and keep the foil on the pan cause it may dry out the pork (you think) Anyway guess I’ve been cheating. I think you guys are missing the purpose of the rule. By the way I’m guessing that’s where Skip seen it done before! Go ahead fire away farkers no one is perfect and until I read this it’s never crossed my mind.
smokincracker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2009, 05:33 PM   #52
Peteg
Full Fledged Farker

Wow, that's a lot of discussion for one day. Thanks for all of the advice both on pork and brisket. I would much rather cook a whole brisket and sepearte after cooking but I've found that I loose the smoke ring on the portion that's covered by the point. For that reason I've lately been parting before cooking. I'm glad you guys talked about pork, since I've been unclear on rules regarding it. It's all clear now, Pete

Last edited by Peteg; 06-23-2009 at 06:25 PM..
Peteg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2009, 06:08 PM   #53
bigdogphin
is one Smokin' Farker

In regards to pork, can't you ask the reps at the cooks meeting for a clarification of the rule? Seems that would end some confusion at that particular contest.

In regards to brisket, I part the flat and point after cooking prior to slicing.

"Xquelibur" Black badazz Yoder Cimarron

Custom Yoder Frontiersman II and YS1500
Reverse FEC 100 & Right Handed FEC 100
1 UDS
Desert Thermapen W/ American flag
Green Thermapen
KCBS & PNWBA CBJ
bigdogphin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2009, 06:15 PM   #54
Coz
is One Chatty Farker

Its clear as mud now Pete!I guess I will be asking the reps at each contest if I ever get to another one.
Stumps Clone " CHRISTINE " ONE Evil Biotch and another in process

BRINGIN' THE HEAT BBQ Team
just Cloning around
Coz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2009, 06:39 PM   #55
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

If your smallest slice of money muscle weighs 5+ pounds, I say go for it. If it doesn't it shouldn't go back in the cooker based on the rule.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2009, 07:05 PM   #56
CajunSmoker
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: Rolling down the river between St Louis and New Orleans

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC PIG ASSASSINS View Post
Intent of the rule as per who? You? read the rule as it's written. You have your interp and I have mine. Call me what you want. Looks like I struck close to home!!! The KCBS better take back a lot of trophies over this one.
They won't take mine

I've won first place pork and I believe reheating is a direct violation of the rules.

How y'all are? I'm glad you got to see me I guarontee Justin Wilson 4/24/1914 - 09/05/2001
CAJUN QUE KREWE Proud ARKLAFO
KCBS member & CBJ#24398
Twin Ugly Drum Smokers
Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe
Brinkman Gourmet ECB with super chicken mods
Weber OTS kettle
CajunSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2009, 07:36 PM   #57
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

not only do I not seperate my BRISKET, I also inject....oops sorry I thought this was a brisket tread........
Smokin' Gnome BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2009, 02:22 PM   #58
Lakeside Smoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Rule #16:
g) After cooking, all meat:
i) Must be held at 140° F or above

If after pulling the pork it cools down below 140* what do you do?

In polite society, we have an unspoken agreement to call our obsessions hobbies. - Stephen King
Lakeside Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2009, 02:30 PM   #59
musicmanryann
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeside Smoker View Post
Rule #16:
g) After cooking, all meat:
i) Must be held at 140° F or above

If after pulling the pork it cools down below 140* what do you do?
Honestly, you're screwed. You can't turn that meat in anyway. If you cooler it properly, you will have at least 5 hours flex-time before the pork approaches this temp, even more if you invest in a Cambro/Carlisle. If you need more time than that, you should probably work on your timing.

Oh, and I separate my briskys right before carving and turn-in time.
CBJ #50801
6 WSM's
2 Weber Kettles
FEC100
2 Backwoods Fatboy
2 Not-so-Ugly Drum Smokers from Gateway BBQ Store
[URL="http://s674.photobucket.com/albums/vv102/Ryannewstrom/Jambo%20--%20The%20Orange%20Monster/"]Jambo -- The Orange Monster[/URL]
[URL="http://www.bigtzbbq.com/#!__main/links"]www.bigtzbbq.com[/URL]
Join our [URL="http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=logo#/group.php?gid=101606657515&ref=ts"]facebook group[/URL]
musicmanryann is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2009, 03:06 PM   #60
Lakeside Smoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanryann View Post
Honestly, you're screwed. You can't turn that meat in anyway. If you cooler it properly, you will have at least 5 hours flex-time before the pork approaches this temp, even more if you invest in a Cambro/Carlisle. If you need more time than that, you should probably work on your timing.
What I meant was: when you 'pull' or slice the pork for the turn in box, and it gets cold (below 140*) what do you do?

In polite society, we have an unspoken agreement to call our obsessions hobbies. - Stephen King
Lakeside Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote