Santa Maria BBQ Style

SoCalWJS

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I'm becoming very fond of using my small Santa Maria style BBQ pit that I picked up from Santa Maria BBQ Outfitters many years ago, and I can turn out a decent steak and tri tip (OK, better than decent)

I've tried doing chicken halfs and quarters, but w/o the success. I've searched all over looking for different recipes and techniques with little results.

Is anybody aware of a cookbook or website out there that has assembled some recipes and guidelines on using this type of grill? I try to watch the Cooks when I go to SLO, but they are using much larger grills. It seems that it's easier to get a consistant fire than on a small one. They just throw on a few full logs when needed - if they flare, it's no big big deal because the grill is 2+ feet above the fire. If I build a big fire, it gets way too hot, so I end up with a small fire and the grill is much closer to the fire - I spend alot of time adjusting the grill height and playing with the fire. It's not a huge deal (heck, I'm more of a "Type A" whe it comes to Q'n anyway). When I get the fire just right - oh man! Just love the flavor. The sear/char and the way the fat tastes on Ribeyes :thumb: Absolutely Fantastic. Other times I miss a bit and can't get it quite right. It's still good, but not what I think it should be.

Would be nice to come up with a few new recipes.......

Any thoughts or insights appreciated.

Assuming you are burning wood and not charcoal, two options come to mind. One it to keep a fire going in a kettle or burn barrel, and move coals to the cooker when you need more heat. The other, and this makes a lot more sense, keep some smaller splits handy, that you can add without as much flare up. That might help.

As for the chicken, my favorite grilled chicken is really just some oregano, thyme, kosher salt and black pepper, all added to a marinade of sliced lemons and olive oil. Let the chickens marinade for a couple of hours, then grill until done. Real simple.

Assuming you are burning wood and not charcoal, two options come to mind. One it to keep a fire going in a kettle or burn barrel, and move coals to the cooker when you need more heat. The other, and this makes a lot more sense, keep some smaller splits handy, that you can add without as much flare up. That might help.

As for the chicken, my favorite grilled chicken is really just some oregano, thyme, kosher salt and black pepper, all added to a marinade of sliced lemons and olive oil. Let the chickens marinade for a couple of hours, then grill until done. Real simple.
Nice suggestion! Like the squiggles instead of the blocks too!

Last edited:
My pit is smaller as well.....I recommend putting an expanded metal fire grate near the top on some fire bricks, building a base of lump, then burning splits on top of that. There is no need to spend hours burning wood down to coals for a quick BBQ steak or two. I did a thread on last weeks cook that I will bump to the top so you can see my rig.

Photobucket is working now, so here's some pics of my small Santa Maria Pit with Argentine Asado cooking surface, and how I raised the pit fire with some expanded metal and firebricks:

null-3.jpg

null-1.jpg

null-2.jpg

One thing I'm going to do this weekend is artichokes on the SM grill, Hitching Post style. We will see how that goes. As far as new recipes go, SM style is known for simplicity. If you have never tried to cook pork ribs and are into type A grill fiddling/adjusting, that will be an enjoyable afternoon for you! :)

I use small splits of wood and create a bed of coals which take me about 45 minutes. During that time, I have on the grill 2 foil wrapped bricks that are soaking up the heat. Put the chicken on and put a brick on top. Kinda like an oven. Sometimes I put the lid from a smoky joe or other small grill on top for an oven effect.

Back