MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:36 PM   #1
Jon David
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Experienced thoughts on Kamados

So I'm trying to convince my awesome wife to let me get my hands on some sort of kamado grill. I haven't had a chance to take a good look at either of the 2 grills I'm going to ask you about, but the 2 I have seen were the Akorn and the Vision. The Akorn doesn't look like an actual kamado to me but yet again I haven't seen one up close. Any experience on the 2 would be helpful. Or if there are ideas for other grills that would be good too. Thanks in advance!
Jon David is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2013, 08:05 PM   #2
Plaid Palace
On the road to being a farker

Go to youtube, search ManCaveMeals. He has reviews of the Akorn and also the Kamado Joe.

I bought a KJ based on MCM's video reviews. I love! I had no experience with Kamado grilling until I bought one.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-06-2013, 08:08 PM   #3
wmrrock
Knows what a fatty is.

They are all copies of the BIG GREEN EGG. The Big Green Egg is a ceramic cooker that will last you many many years. Make sure it is in the mix when you look.
wmrrock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2013, 08:10 PM   #4
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmrrock View Post
They are all copies of the BIG GREEN EGG. The Big Green Egg is a ceramic cooker that will last you many many years. Make sure it is in the mix when you look.
lol
A bunch of Webers
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2013, 08:11 PM   #5
Midnight Smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Actually the Kamado's came before the Egg.

*** Terry ~ aka Pork Smoker ***

** XL-BGE Hatched 06/20/2008 09:42 pm **
* Couple Weber Kettles, CharGriller, UDS *
* Ultra Fast Red Thermapen *
Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Midnight Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-06-2013, 08:31 PM   #6
Jon David
Knows what a fatty is.

Bama I have seen his videos on the Akorn and I it doesn't look like the firebox is as thick on other Kamado grills. I'm just curious if its like a "wanna be" kamado?
Jon David is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2013, 08:41 PM   #7
DubfromGA
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaMatt42 View Post
Go to youtube, search ManCaveMeals. He has reviews of the Akorn and also the Kamado Joe.

I bought a KJ based on MCM's video reviews. I love! I had no experience with Kamado grilling until I bought one.

Well said.

His excellent videos were the catalyst to me jumping into the kamado cooking deal.

I'm so glad I did.

I've been grilling with various gassers and simple charcoal grills for decades. No expert, but I could turn our decent burgers and steaks. Once I bought my Chargriller offset, my world opened up significantly....chicken, ribs and even butts were doable with some work and careful pit monitoring.

I was a bit unsure about jumping in and spending big bucks on a BGE or Primo......MCM video reviews of the Akorn and my past great experiences with Chargriller support had my confidence high on the Akorn.

I've been using it for almost a year now and have been very impressed with it. It's not a $1,500 BGE set-up......but then again, it's not a big blow to your wallet either.

It was well worth the $350 for me to experiment with kamado cooking. The Akorn, cover and their Smoking Stone have served me well.

I've had a few leaks that show up around the seals occasionally that can be aggravating, but not show-stoppers.

The lightweight portability of the Akorn make it a fairly easy affair to roll it and lay it in the bed of my pickup and drive over to friends homes. Nothing like having your pit wherever you are.

This Akorn has proven it's worth to me and my family loves the vastly improved level of food I've been putting on the table for them using it.

My wife has given me the green light to go big if I want to. I see an XL BGE in my near future. I'm very confident that it's the style of cooking that will see me through for decades more.

Good luck.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:16 PM   #8
Offthehook
is One Chatty Farker

I got an original Komodo from my gf grandma and it has produced some of the best meat I have cooked. I don't smoke on it but its such a great way to cook quick and easy meals.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:24 PM   #9
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

If you can get the vision from your local costco in the spring, I'd do that. Costco has a good price on it and the best return policy anywhere. However, its not as portable as the akorn. The akorn did also come out with the new performer side table model at home depot which is also cool, and the one without the side table is extremely portable.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:44 PM   #10
ssv3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Sako

I can vouch for the Vision kamado. Its an excellent cooker and they have excellent customer service speaking from my experience as well. I have the Vision Pro from Home Depot and my bro has the classic from Costco that I bought for him as a gift. Two of my buddies picked up Visions after they saw mine and we're all happy. Comes with all the extras and a cover. BTW they are showing up at Costcos here again already. If you're on a strict budget though I wouldnt dismiss the Akorn. Good luck!
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2013, 10:01 PM   #11
Dirtbuddy
is one Smokin' Farker

I'm super happy with my Kamado Joe Classic. If you are looking for something a bit larger check out the Big Joe from Kamado Joe. Great company that stands behind their product. Best part is all the standard items included with the purchase.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:38 PM   #12
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

The kamadojoe is kickarse, but it sounds like he was going for something a little lower in price.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:29 AM   #13
Bily Lovec
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

After doing tons of research, I ended up with a Primo XL. It has tons more cooking surface than the BGE.
Being made in the USA is important, finding out the BGEs are being made in Mexico sealed the deal.
Bily Lovec is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2013, 10:37 AM   #14
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon David View Post
Bama I have seen his videos on the Akorn and I it doesn't look like the firebox is as thick on other Kamado grills. I'm just curious if its like a "wanna be" kamado?
The fire box on the Akorn is not thick like a ceramic kamado fire box. The Akorn is a good grill and smoker. It just takes some patience and overcoming a learning curve to learn to control it. It's not as easy to control as some of the ceramic kamados because it's not as air tight. I think I have already done the legwork to show that it is controllable though.
JMSetzler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2013, 12:14 PM   #15
Toronto
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Smoke View Post
Actually the Kamado's came before the Egg.
The real question is, did the chicken come before the egg
Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote