A Fatties - does anyone make their own

JohnHB

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I haven't seem or do not recollect seeing breakfast saugage rolls such as produced by Jimmy Dean (the late) available in Australia. Do any of you make & cook your own? If so could you share your secrets and if possible a description without the use of proprietary product.

I haven't seem or do not recollect seeing breakfast saugage rolls such as produced by Jimmy Dean (the late) available in Australia. Do any of you make & cook your own? If so could you share your secrets and if possible a description without the use of proprietary product.

Here is a recipe link, just forget the sheep casings and use in bulk form.

J Dean.pdf

Just buy breakfast sausage or any type of sausage in bulk packages by the pound and roll your own. I do it all the time.

I didn't realize there was any other way to get a fattie than to make it yourself.

I think that what the OP is saying is that tube style sausage isn't available to him in Aussie land...that's Australia for us Yankees, and in the U.S., we are all Yankees to the fine folks down under!

What he is asking, I believe, is do any of us make our own sausage and use it to make fatties instead of buying premade sausage.

Am I correct?

Just buy breakfast sausage or any type of sausage in bulk packages by the pound and roll your own. I do it all the time.

Thank you I was worried that doing this the product wouldn't hold together.
John

Make your own I do

This clone recipe re-creates three varieties of the famous roll sausage that you form into patties and cook in a skillet. Use ground pork found at the supermarket (make it lean pork if you like), or grind some up yourself if you have a meat grinder laying around for some good old-fashioned fun. Thanks for the inspiration, Jimmy!

Regular
16 ounces ground pork
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
1/4 teaspoon rubbed dried sage
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon MSG (such as Accent Flavor Enhancer)

Hot
16 ounces ground pork
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Maple
16 ounces ground pork
3 tablespoons maple-flavored syrup
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon MSG (such as Accent Flavor Enhancer)

Combine all the ingredients for the flavor of your choice in a medium bowl. Form the sausage into patties and cook in a skillet over medium heat until browned all over.

Each recipe makes 1 pound of sausage.

I didn't realize there was any other way to get a fattie than to make it yourself.

All I can say I did read the Brethen discussions on a fatties and nowhere it mentioned making your own. The Jimmy Dean product seemed to be the product of choice. So I was curious what gives.
John

All I can say I did read the Brethen discussions on a fatties and nowhere it mentioned making your own. The Jimmy Dean product seemed to be the product of choice. So I was curious what gives.
John

Jimmy Dean is available every where her in the states. That's why you see most people using it. But as it's been already said, any premade sausage will work. Some of us like to make our own just because that's how we like to do things. But there is nothing wrong with either method as long as you like the end result.

I think that what the OP is saying is that tube style sausage isn't available to him in Aussie land...that's Australia for us Yankees, and in the U.S., we are all Yankees to the fine folks down under!

What he is asking, I believe, is do any of us make our own sausage and use it to make fatties instead of buying premade sausage.

Am I correct?

Firstly you are 100% correct.
But hey we don't call you Yankees not a generally use term maybe Yanks on occasions but to your face or talking about you our usual term is "mate".
Thanks mate for you comments.
John

Make your own I do

This clone recipe re-creates three varieties of the famous roll sausage that you form into patties and cook in a skillet. Use ground pork found at the supermarket (make it lean pork if you like), or grind some up yourself if you have a meat grinder laying around for some good old-fashioned fun. Thanks for the inspiration, Jimmy!

Regular
16 ounces ground pork
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme

Hot
16 ounces ground pork
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Maple
16 ounces ground pork
3 tablespoons maple-flavored syrup
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon MSG (such as Accent Flavor Enhancer)

Combine all the ingredients for the flavor of your choice in a medium bowl. Form the sausage into patties and cook in a skillet over medium heat until browned all over.

Each recipe makes 1 pound of sausage.

A fantastic response. Thank you.
John

We can get tubes of almost neon pink "Pork Sausagemeat" in the supermarkets...it really is what I imagine pink slime to be like.

So, what I do is....

1) Make my own by mincing pork shoulder and adding some BBQ rub as seasoning.
(If I'm not being lazy)

2) Just buy some already minced pork and a couple of packs of snags, remove the casings and mix the pork and snags together.
(If I'm being lazy, this is the most likely option!)

John, do you have a meat grinder? If so, I like to keep the rib and any other pork trimmings until I have enough to make my own fresh sausage. Works great for many things...especially fatties.

Tim

I always make fatties out of homemade sausage - in fact, it wouldn't occur to me to use store bought. Whenever I'm making a batch I always set some aside for fatties after stuffing. Any kind works great - breakfast, kielbasa, Italian, etc....

Here is my maple sausage recipe, it's pretty good. I form patties with it but it can definitely be made into a fatty.
breakfastsausage1.jpg

http://www.tailgatejoe.com/homemade-maple-breakfast-sausage/

As LM600 said, there's no Jimmy Dean or similar product in the UK either, I use supermarket pork mince and/or unskinned sausages, haven't had a bad one yet :wink:.

Since I've never had the luxury of slicing plastic off a ready made seasoned log of mince (except last year when visiting Portland, OR - but that's a different story) I have always made stuffed fatties, usually wrapped with a bacon lattice - it really holds in all the goodness and prevents fatty explosions!

Back